Cuts to add an additional 6 Million

RPbillsfan

People act like Doug Whaley was the only GM that spent to the cap and occasionally had issues. That's patently not true and really Bills centric thinking. Pretty much ALL teams spend to the cap and have issues every single year, especially if they want to remain competitive. Whaley's problem was that he never found a true answer at QB. Once you get the QB, you have more flexibility in terms of letting guys loose. The Bills right now are in a perfect spot where they have the QB on a rookie deal. That's precisely when you spend money to surround said QB with talent. It's a constant struggle to remain under the cap for virtually ALL competitive teams. There is really no benefit to stashing all this cash. None whatsoever.

Cut Shady sign Hunt, that's how you save money.

Those guys need to be replaced for position and roster size and there are minimum contracts that govern all that. Not saving money cutting them (although Ivory is a bit pricey for what he is). 

Edited by dayman
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Here are some easy cuts to add $6,000,000 to our $78,750,000 in cap space

Chris Ivory

Vlad Ducasse

Punter 

Cam Phillips

Denzel Rice

These obvious moves would bring our cap space to $85,000,000.

That additional space is going to be very helpful.

I like your style bud screw these guys they don't know Jack!!! 

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

They need to spend way more than that to get to the minimum cap. They can’t roll 40 million. 

And you mention some of the top free agents, surely other teams will be bidding quite hard to get those guys as well. This is why it’s difficult to cut more guys. 

You may end up with worse replacements than you already have on the team. Difference is the guys on the team already know the schemes and players in the locker room. 

You don’t cut someone like ivory until you already have their replacement under contract. Tevin Coleman and Yeldon are the top 2 backs available, other teams need them way more than buffalo. They can’t just sign all the top free agents that’s a bad way to build the team and fill holes. 

Ask the redskins and dolphins 

it appears they can roll 40 mill.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-much-salary-cap-space-your-favorite-nfl-team-will-have-in-2017/

My cuts would be:

• Trent Murphy - his contract was structured with an out this offseason if they don't think he's worth $8.5M/yr.  Cap savings of $5M.
  • Cutting Clay saves us $4.5M. 
  • Ivory & McCoy are both on the wrong side of 30 and will save us another $8.6M combined.

That's a cool $18M added to our FA fund.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo86 said:

My cuts would be:

• Trent Murphy - his contract was structured with an out this offseason if they don't think he's worth $8.5M/yr.  Cap savings of $5M.
  • Cutting Clay saves us $4.5M. 
  • Ivory & McCoy are both on the wrong side of 30 and will save us another $8.6M combined.

That's a cool $18M added to our FA fund.

I'm all in on everything you said. If they can get back some money by cutting Murphy I'd be all about that too. I get why they signed him because we needed help rushing the passer but you're just never gonna get a great return on your investment with him. Dudes only really had 1 good season & he's always injured & even when he does play, he's only in there for 40% of the plays. Maybe I'm old fashioned but 8.5 mil is a helluva lotta money for a guy like that. If ur cool with paying 9 mil per year, pay Clowney, pay Demarcus Lawrence. Players who have shown in the past they can consistently make plays. Theyre not perfect but have more upside than Murphy

• Like (+1) 1