Cuts to add an additional 6 Million

RPbillsfan

32 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

I thought about adding a WR, my preference is Tyrell Williams, but not at $10,000,000 per.  Like a high pick draft choice to team with Foster, Jones and McKenzie.

Kinda scary.  2 of those guys were cut last year.  What happens when one gets hurt, which is inevitable, and one of the 3 dissapoints.  I think we’d be set up for failure if we only add 1 Wr and that Wr being a rookie.  If we sign Jared cook and draft hockenson, I may be ok with that strategy.  

2 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Here are some easy cuts to add $6,000,000 to our $78,750,000 in cap space

Chris Ivory

Vlad Ducasse

Punter 

Cam Phillips

Denzel Rice

These obvious moves would bring our cap space to $85,000,000.

That additional space is going to be very helpful.

You know we have to replace those players and that costs money too.

24 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Where Clay in the cuts? 

Let's see what we sign in FA and what we do in the draft.  If Clay is healthy we get a solid TE who can catch and block and move on in 2020

3 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Was surfing for that.  He has to go.  He's like 8 million in cap space.  The dude must go.  Or renegotiate if he loves it here so much.

Cap gain is $4,000,000, unless by some fortunate scenario where the Vikings need Kyle Rudolph's $7,200,000 and release him, Clay is better then anyone available in FA

7 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Let's see what we sign in FA and what we do in the draft.  If Clay is healthy we get a solid TE who can catch and block and move on in 2020

Cap gain is $4,000,000, unless by some fortunate scenario where the Vikings need Kyle Rudolph's $7,200,000 and release him, Clay is better then anyone available in FA

Not trying to sound like a jerk- imo Clay’s NFL days are over. He doesnt do much of anything well anymore, to include catching. Im not so sure it really matters- release him and save some cap. Sign TE Cooks possibly and draft another.

Chris Ivory

Vlad Ducasse

Punter 

Cam Phillips

Denzel Rice

Until the Bills get a RB I don’t think Ivory will go anywhere.  

Cam Phillips doesn’t earn much and should stay through the PS.  

I've bit my tongue thru all this thread but saying we should keep Clay is just ridiculous. Clay is better than anyone in FA? Dude Jason Croom is better & he's already on our roster. Jared Cooks is out there too. At this point anybody would be an improvement, especially if you value saving cap space

3 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Chris Ivory

Vlad Ducasse

Punter 

Cam Phillips

Denzel Rice

I think they have invested enough in Phillips that they’ll give him another year.  I also think Ivory will get a chance to win RB2 in camp.  It’s his spot to lose, though I also expect the Bills to draft an RB at some point.  So it could happen.

Expect Vlad to get cut along with the rest of that group

1 hour ago, RPbillsfan said:

Please tell all of us of the players I've suggested letting go, exactly who would be a significant loss.

So you entirely missed my point and also fail to realize how your reply makes even less sense than your OP.

1.  We have plenty of space to pursue any Free Agents they want to pursue. 

2.  You’re not REALLY saving $6m when you have to spend $6m or more to replace the guys you just cut to save $6m.

3.  You realize the roster is 52 players?  And not all 52 players are starters right?  You have some lower end players, raw young players, etc on every roster.  Cutting low end players doesn’t save you money because you’re gonna pay a similar amount or more to replace them.  So you ONLY cut these guys if you find an upgrade, it does nothing to increase cap space.  Cutting these 5 might actually cost us cap space.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Hmmmm, my suggested signings cost the Bills $42,000,000, leaving $43,000,000 for next year.  Plus the signings give us room to move off the contracts to pay Tre, Josh and Tremaine at market value

But that is already a rate so reckless we will be back in salary cap hell after offseason 2

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

The cap rises every year. I can see maintaining some space under the cap. It's prudent. That's not where we're at here. We have a TON of cap space with no major impending FA's in 2020. I expect them to be pretty aggressive this year. If they're not careful, they could end up not hitting the cap FLOOR. I agree that it would make sense to stay under by 10-15 mil or so, but anything over that is a waste of cap space.

Most of that response tells me you either aren’t really following what I’m saying or don’t understand the impact of multi year deals on salary cap planning. I’d be surprised if they didn’t hit the floor. They have to. “The cap rises every year” is a breathtakingly uninformed statement. Like, sure, the cap inflates, but so do player salaries. 

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

But that is already a rate so reckless we will be back in salary cap hell after offseason 2

Most of that response tells me you either aren’t really following what I’m saying or don’t understand the impact of multi year deals on salary cap planning. I’d be surprised if they didn’t hit the floor. They have to. “The cap rises every year” is a breathtakingly uninformed statement. Like, sure, the cap inflates, but so do player salaries. 

Bottom line. What dollar amount would you like to see the Bills remain under the cap?