Is Dion Dawkins better at LT or LG

RPbillsfan

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He’s the least of the worries but he plays the most important position, Josh Allen’s blindside. 

Im not saying he’s doomed.  He has a chance to be a solid starting LT.  He has the attributes.  I’m just saying that he wasn’t good at all last year.  Maybe I went overboard with saying he was awful.  I think he’s been a pass due to everyone else being so bad.  He’s known as our most talented OLmen, yet he performed nearly as bad as the much less talented players and had the 4th most penalties in the league among OL.  He’s no sure thing and he protects our franchise blindside.   I’d prefer that we had a stud LT and moved Dawkins elsewhere as it stands right now, but the free agent market and draft is stronger at RT and interior than LT. 

Depending on the draft and free agency we’ll see where he settles on the line, but he’s also the only guaranteed starter. It’s hard to consider a move until they fill out these other positions and we see who we can get. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gunner beat me to it but you must be thinking of someone else. 

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No he wasn't. He was the LT at Temple. I do think he is an average to just above average LT and that is probably his ceiling there whereas he has all pro potential at guard.

Yes, you're right he did play tackle (most of the time), but he was the second guard taken (and listed as such) in the NFL draft and moved to guard in the Senior Bowl.  I consider him a guard coming out of college.

Edited by Spielman

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Don’t compare his situation to Peters, though. Peters was wa dominant player for the Bills and a lot better than Dawkins.

Dawkins is good but you are totally correct. He is not on the same planet with Jason Peters.

Imo the most interesting (not the best) player in this draft is Jonah Williams who might be similar in some ways to Dawkins. I will get into this more as the draft approaches.

48 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Don’t compare his situation to Peters, though. Peters was wa dominant player for the Bills and a lot better than Dawkins.

Of course, Peters is the better player. I was referring to the situation as being somewhat similar in terms of position moves.  The Bills gave Peters a solid contract after a year of playing RT. He moved to LT, was great, and immediately debated a LT salary.  

Look at the a erave salaries by position:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/. $8 million for a LT, $5 million for a RT, and $3 million for a G.  If I was him or his agent, I won’t just let a position switch happen. 

28 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Dawkins is good but you are totally correct. He is not on the same planet with Jason Peters.

Imo the most interesting (not the best) player in this draft is Jonah Williams who might be similar in some ways to Dawkins. I will get into this more as the draft approaches.

I have a problem knowing how good Alabama o line and slime players are because they are completely surrounded by 5 star players.  A lot of guys who would be very average nfl players could be very good at Alabama.  Isn’t there a knock on Williams’ arm length?  Also, is he a grinder?  

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Of course, Peters is the better player. I was referring to the situation as being somewhat similar in terms of position moves.  The Bills gave Peters a solid contract after a year of playing RT. He moved to LT, was great, and immediately debated a LT salary.  

Look at the a erave salaries by position:  https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/. $8 million for a LT, $5 million for a RT, and $3 million for a G.  If I was him or his agent, I won’t just let a position switch happen. 

I have a problem knowing how good Alabama o line and slime players are because they are completely surrounded by 5 star players.  A lot of guys who would be very average nfl players could be very good at Alabama.  Isn’t there a knock on Williams’ arm length?  Also, is he a grinder?  

Williams has perfect feet and technique. He can roll out and pull very well. In his first year he played RT and was great on running downs in a completely different offense. He is also a very smart kid.

Is he big and strong enough to be a star NFL LT? I am not sure yet. His combine numbers will be telling. Even without seeing his combine stats, I predict that his floor will be that of a better Andy Levitre, who also played LT in college and imo was a terrific player for a while. I think that Williams would be a pro bowl level guard, but what do I know?

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Spielman said:

Yes, you're right he did play tackle (most of the time), but he was the second guard taken (and listed as such) in the NFL draft and moved to guard in the Senior Bowl.  I consider him a guard coming out of college.

I had him graded a "Guard with some tackle flex" as well. Not doubting that a lot of people projected him as guard or that he would likely be better there. I agree with that. But he played almost exclusively at LT at Temple.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Williams has perfect feet and technique. He can roll out and pull very well. In his first year he played RT and was great on running downs in a completely different offense. He is also a very smart kid.

Is he big and strong enough to be a star NFL LT? I am not sure yet. His combine numbers will be telling. Even without seeing his combine stats, I predict that his floor will be that of a better Andy Levitre, who also played LT in college and imo was a terrific player for a while. I think that Williams would be a pro bowl level guard, but what do I know?

I think Jonah can be an all-pro center. His ability to re-direct and roll his hips on contact is ideal for the pivot spot.

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yea to me Williams is pretty similar to Dion. A bit more polished coming out, more consistent on film but with some similar strengths and weaknesses and in the same "great guard prospect with tackle flex" category for me.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea to me Williams is pretty similar to Dion. A bit more polished coming out, more consistent on film but with some similar strengths and weaknesses and in the same "great guard prospect with tackle flex" category for me.

Between the two of them we might just have something on the left side if they were paired together.......allowing us to move Teller to RG.\

I just dont want to take someone at LG at the 9th pick

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Between the two of them we might just have something on the left side if they were paired together.......allowing us to move Teller to RG.\

I just dont want to take someone at LG at the 9th pick

And on all of that we agree totally. I've said before - and I repeat - I wouldn't hate Jonah at #9 (I think he will be a good pro) but it certainly isn't the direction I would go in or prefer the Bills to go in.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And on all of that we agree totally. I've said before - and I repeat - I wouldn't hate Jonah at #9 (I think he will be a good pro) but it certainly isn't the direction I would go in or prefer the Bills to go in.

Yeah I am still in the trade down camp.....I still feel that would be the smartest thing for us.

Edited by John from Riverside

On 2/10/2019 at 12:28 PM, Bangarang said:

No idea. Haven’t seen him play LG. I’ve seen people say he projected better at LG though. He has been a decent LT for us so unless we have a plan to replace him I would keep him where he is.

Exactly.. If he ever plays some guard then maybe this might be validated for discussion, but he hasn't, at least professionally.

However my son's friend's friend said he make a fine TE...jeez...

6 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Exactly.. If he ever plays some guard then maybe this might be validated for discussion, but he hasn't, at least professionally.

However my son's friend's friend said he make a fine TE...jeez...

He did play a bit of relief guard for us in games Cordy was up his rookie year. There was a game Richie came out hobbled for a series and Dawkins went in and helped spring two huge runs. Small sample size I grant you, but that coupled with what a lot of us projected coming out makes it at least an intriguing possibility.