Is Dion Dawkins better at LT or LG

RPbillsfan

This draft and FA market is full of RT candidates.  As much as I'd love to see Dawkins move to LG I'm concerned we would fill a hole and open another.

It appears that Andre Dillard is the best available LT prospect in this draft.  But 9 is way to early to take him.  

I believe the Bills will be able to fill RT in free agency, maybe Darryl Williams or Juwann James.  So, if Dawkins is moved to LG, and Teller progresses at RG, we still need a LT.

What are your thoughts

I think you have the right thought with your OP.  I suspect Dawkins is still "penciled in" at LT, but Beane and McD will be looking for an upgrade at LT.  This is probably the case with all positions on the OLine.  The only thing we can be certain of is that the OLine in the 2019 season will look much different than the OLine of 2018.

I mean G is an easier position to play because you aren’t on an island like you are a T. It’s why Ts get paid more. So I’m guessing he would be better at LG.  But he is fine at OT, though he may never come close to being an all pro.  In a perfect world, you get a better LT and you can move Dawkins to RT or G.  But it’s not the biggest concern right now.

1 minute ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Teller is fine at LG. I think Dawkins should move to RT, sign a C and RG, draft a LT. 

That’s a lot of moves. Good olines are ones they have continuity.  You basically are building a complete new oline with that.  There would be some struggles big time early in the year.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s a lot of moves. Good olines are ones they have continuity.  You basically are building a complete new oline with that.  There would be some struggles big time early in the year.

Good o-lines are ones that have continuity because they have a set chemistry. They're not good and need to mix em around until we're set, then we can have continuity. Continuity on something that isnt working doesn't make sense to me. 

7 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Which LT would you select in this draft.

We'll see after the combine. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Teller is fine at LG. I think Dawkins should move to RT, sign a C and RG, draft a LT. 

You didn't watch the games. Teller was worse than Ducasse and Miller.  He was terrible in pass protection.  He has tons of upside and I'm not saying he can't get better. But he just wasn't that good last year.

As for Dawkins I don't think anyone on this board knows.  He has played adequately at LT - great at times but like the entire line he had a down 2018.  Like others I don't think a move to LG is out of the question.  I suspect it comes down to FA and the draft.  If they draft a guy that can play LT and they only sign a true C in FA, then sure Dawkins might slide over to LG.  But assuming they let Mills walk any OT draft pick probably gets penciled in at RT.  Beane had better take the BPA OL in the draft in at least three rounds whether it is C/G/OT/TE.  They need multiple bodies and let it sort itself out in camp.

Any claim that he would be better at guard is complete speculation. What do we know? He can hold his own at LT, the most important position on the line. I think the Bills would be foolish to move him unless they have a sure fire, proven (in the NFL) upgrade at LT.

22 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean G is an easier position to play because you aren’t on an island like you are a T. It’s why Ts get paid more. So I’m guessing he would be better at LG.  But he is fine at OT, though he may never come close to being an all pro.  In a perfect world, you get a better LT and you can move Dawkins to RT or G.  But it’s not the biggest concern right now.

It's not necessarily easier at guard; for some guys, it's actually much more difficult. Things happen a LOT faster inside, and you're facing bigger guys that are built lower to the ground, so the prototypical tall, angular tackle could struggle mightily to adapt.

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's not necessarily easier at guard; for some guys, it's actually much more difficult. Things happen a LOT faster inside, and you're facing bigger guys that are built lower to the ground, so the prototypical tall, angular tackle could struggle mightily to adapt.

He showed uncommon potential as a drive blocker as a rookie and he moved great for a guard.

I just think leaving him at LT is a recipe for losing him in FA..........and if you are going to move him you gotta' move him now when he is openly admitting that he didn't put his best effort into the chance he was given in 2018.

It might be justifiable to pay him $12M-$13M at LG when that time comes if he's as good as I think he can be........but if the open market for a solid LT is $17M then you end up with a Levitre situation.  

57 minutes ago, Spielman said:

Dawkins should be at guard.  He was a guard in college.  He’s an average nfl LT at best.  

No he wasn't. He was the LT at Temple. I do think he is an average to just above average LT and that is probably his ceiling there whereas he has all pro potential at guard.