Armand Salguero’s scorched-earth plan for the Phins

dave mcbride

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Wow—now this is a teardown plan, and he is clued into that franchise. https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article225952960.html

Looks like we should be expecting the Bills to beat Miami twice next season. If we don’t, it’ll be a real failure.

I’m not going to expect anything. Not after that Thursday night blow out loss to the Jets two years ago. 

The difference between what McBeane did in Buffalo and what is referenced in this article?  They (and the Pegulas) weren't stupid enough to announce publicly their intention to tank.  That allowed them to keep important vets like Kyle Williams around to help shape the culture going forward.  What veterans concerned about anything other than a paycheck are going to want to stick around in Miami when they already know the team's intention is to suck?  I know there are plenty of mercenaries out there but that isn't exactly what you want your locker room full of when bringing in a new coach.

I think Ross is a bad owner.  The Pegulas have had their share of difficulties to be sure, but aside from the horrid Rex misstep (naive owners listening to Brandon) the decisions to hire McD and then Beane appear to have been solid, forward-thinking moves I expect to see pay off beginning this season.

I suppose the good news for Flores in Miami is that their fan base sucks anyway.

Will be fun watching the Omar Kelly schittshow this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The title is a little misleading as I’ve listened now to two interviews with the NFLR analysts, and it’s not that he wants this to happen, but Ross has been so open about his plan.  Salguero is just piecing together what he has heard and interviewed people on and off the record.

Ross isn’t doing himself many favors by talking so publicly about his plan.  I’m not Necessarily disagreeing with rebuilding tE team, but he’s doing himself no favors selling tickets next year with these statements.  The new coach hopefully asked for a long term contract to put up with these proclamations.

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Exactly. Philadelphia did the same thing with chip kelly but he was fired and then the team wins the super bowl with a back up quarterback. The process takes longer but it gives you the best chance because you’ve loaded up on assets. Fans always want to win now and hate when the talent gets traded away but it allows the team to stack up on young talented players. 

Chip Kelly and his approach was a little different than what is being discussed here. Yes, he wanted to rebuild the roster with his type of guys. But in order to do that you have to have a relationship with the remaining players and have their support during the arduous rebuild. Philly had a fuller roster when he took over and started the remake. He didn't care what the players thought and within the organization. His downfall related to his lack of interpersonal skills. When you dispatch someone's friends it shouldn't be surprising that there was going to be some residual resentment. He didn't care. And correspondingly the players and people didn't care about him. When you are in a people business and fail at that basic interaction level you are going to end up sabotaging yourself. That's what happened there. Very often the players are saddened with the firing of a HC. In this case when he was fired the champagne corks were popped in celebration of the liberation. 

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

After reading this I have to wonder why the GM was also not fired.  If those contracts were so bad, he was part of the problem.

He was. Tannenbaum was “re-assigned” to a position outside of personnel and they promoted Chris Grier. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, eball said:

The difference between what McBeane did in Buffalo and what is referenced in this article?  They (and the Pegulas) weren't stupid enough to announce publicly their intention to tank.  That allowed them to keep important vets like Kyle Williams around to help shape the culture going forward.  What veterans concerned about anything other than a paycheck are going to want to stick around in Miami when they already know the team's intention is to suck?  I know there are plenty of mercenaries out there but that isn't exactly what you want your locker room full of when bringing in a new coach.

I think Ross is a bad owner.  The Pegulas have had their share of difficulties to be sure, but aside from the horrid Rex misstep (naive owners listening to Brandon) the decisions to hire McD and then Beane appear to have been solid, forward-thinking moves I expect to see pay off beginning this season.

I suppose the good news for Flores in Miami is that their fan base sucks anyway.

Will be fun watching the Omar Kelly schittshow this season.

I agree, this is a great post.

The AFC East has some intriguing storylines going forward for the first time since... oh IDK... Sanchez was QB for the Jets? 

The Gase/Darnold combo in NYC, the rebuild in Miami with another NE coach, Buf hopefully rounding into form, and the defending champs trying to make another run. 

For years it seems like the 3 teams that arent the Patriots in the division have been stuck in purgatory and unwilling to clean house. Buf made the jump, now the others have followed suit. I'm incredibly interested to see how it all plays out next year in our division! Football season can't come soon enough.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, JohnC said:

Chip Kelly and his approach was a little different than what is being discussed here. Yes, he wanted to rebuild the roster with his type of guys. But in order to do that you have to have a relationship with the remaining players and have their support during the arduous rebuild. Philly had a fuller roster when he took over and started the remake. He didn't care what the players thought and within the organization. His downfall related to his lack of interpersonal skills. When you dispatch someone's friends it shouldn't be surprising that there was going to be some residual resentment. He didn't care. And correspondingly the players and people didn't care about him. When you are in a people business and fail at that basic interaction level you are going to end up sabotaging yourself. That's what happened there. Very often the players are saddened with the firing of a HC. In this case when he was fired the champagne corks were popped in celebration of the liberation. 

Slightly different but the concept was still the same.  Fans seem to get too attached to 'this season' that they can't look at how it benefits the future.  I understand why things went down the way they did in Philly but part of the reason was because players and fans were too emotional and Chip was just going about business. Same thing happened with many fans here with players being traded as if we were so close to being a contender when we were in a rocky place with the cap and we hadn't even made the playoffs yet haha.  

The Raiders have 5 1st round selections over the next two years, Philly has raised a Lombardi and Buffalo looks like a team with a very bright future.  I wouldn't be surprised to see other teams like the Bengals, Miami and others tear their rosters apart.  It seems to me, the best solution to getting out of mediocrity.  However, that is relying on fans to be patient and that doesn't seem to exist anymore.  That's why so many fans are either bandwagon fans or want the best free agents that are proven talents to join their teams.  The win-now league is changing. 

On 2/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, JohnC said:

I think another factor is that Chip Kelly lost his touch. He captured lightning in a bottle at Oregon but wasn't pliable enough to change his ways. I say this as a UCLA fan -- UCLA's incoming class of recruits this year is graded at 46th, and they attracted zero five-star recruits and only 3 four-star recruits. That is awful given the school and its very strong record of attracting good recruits as well as placing players in the NFL. They were 13th in 2015, 12th in 2016, 21st in 2017, and 19th in 2018. 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:31 AM, cage said:

Short of being able to get a potential first rounder for Howard and I'm not sure they could...I don't see how they will be able to add sufficient draft capital.  They would likely need to do some kind of deal to move way back in the first round to get perhaps another first rounder for next year, like we did w/ KC while picking up Tre White.  If they make all their cuts that are suggested and clear up enough cap space then they could potentially take on bad contracts, similar to Osweiler deal for Cleveland to gain more pics.

If they have a lot of players exit they can add compensatory picks

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It sucks but it is pretty much a wasted season unless you make the playoffs or you’re terrible.  The Miami game was fun but I think I would rather have the higher pick right now.

From a purely draft numbers standpoint you're probably right. But the emotional fan side of me needed to see JA take a big step forward which I feel like he did that day, and carry that kind of good vibes into the offseason so that all of us talking hens around here aren't left with a sour taste in our mouths like so many of the mid-October games we suffered through. It's still a good enough launching pad at #9 to do a lot with, whether staying pat or moving up/down as circumstances dictate on draft day, imho. Just going purely off the top of my head here, but if we'd lost the last game, isn't it true we would've at best gone up to #7? Again, not sure on that though.   

On 2/10/2019 at 10:16 AM, Rico said:

Thanks, good article. Fake GM Mando. :lol:

He’s right though, that team needs a tear down and rebuild bad. It hasn’t been 17 years since they made the playoffs, but they have clearly been going nowhere for a long, long time.

You can either try and swing for Foles and band-aid what you have.  Or you can tank 2019 to try and get tua or herbert for 2020.  You then burn through 2020 with a rookie QB.  So 2 years of paying a bunch of players premiums, or you can save the money and stash picks for the team you're actually building for 2021.  They'd have cap flexibility in 2021, a rookie QB to build around, and a bunch of players on rookie contracts.