RG John Miller - stay or go?

YoloinOhio

18 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...was reading an article on the Top TEN FA OL......Miller was at #9...........

9. John Miller, Guard

After playing only four games and being benched for Vladimir Ducasse in 2017, Miller returned to a starting role with the Buffalo Bills last season. At just 25 years old, Miller offers teams a younger option than some of the names on this list, but also an option that hasn’t yet broken an overall grade of 70.0 in a season. This past season, he was only charged with one sack in 529 pass-blocking snaps, however.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-interior-offensive-linemen-set-to-enter-free-agency-in-2019

Interesting that he only allowed one sack all season--no doubt Allen's scrambling ability helped all the line in that stat, but still impressive.

I really like the idea of Finney, seems to have a big upside, many years left, and could be reasonably affordable.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Interesting that he only allowed one sack all season--no doubt Allen's scrambling ability helped all the line in that stat, but still impressive.

I really like the idea of Finney, seems to have a big upside, many years left, and could be reasonably affordable.

It's not so impressive when you have so many weak links in the chain like the 2018 Buffalo Bills had on that line. Literally, every position looked like a liability at some point...even Dion Dawkins.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2018-buffalo-bills-all-22-in-review-interior-offensive-line

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

It's not so impressive when you have so many weak links in the chain like the 2018 Buffalo Bills had on that line. Literally, every position looked like a liability at some point...even Dion Dawkins.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/2018-buffalo-bills-all-22-in-review-interior-offensive-line

It seems like you’re all over the place.  You say the oline had a ton of weaknesses yet Miller only allowed one sack.  Wouldn’t that make that more impressive? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2019 at 8:35 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Two years, $4.8 million including $500,000 signing bonus

Pro-rated signing bonus: $250,000
Salary: $2 million
Cap hit: $2.25 million

Pro-rated signing bonus: $250,000
Salary: $2.3 million
Cap hit: $2.55 million

I sign him to this today as insurance. Then I try to find an upgrade when FA starts - or in the draft if that fails.  He can pass block so at minimum I know he can keep Allen upright. Still I can’t help but wonder why he isn’t at LG. Seems like it’d be a much better fit for a guy who can pass block way better than he can run block.  If he doesn’t sign it then I’m looking elsewhere in FA. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/10/2019 at 1:05 PM, ProcessTruster said:

New OL coach will watch all the tape , see him in mini camp , etc. and make a judgement.  OL guys are hard to come by, so be careful b4 you start shooting everyone in the offseason

He was 1 of the worst O-linemen on one of the worst O-lines in the NFL:  IF he CAN NOT easily be replaced, the scouting/personnel department should be...

On 2/10/2019 at 12:41 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

As far as I'm concerned the Rob Johnson scheme is to take sacks, throw interceptions and look like a douche. 

What, you didn't like the bandana look??

On 2/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

Problem seems to be mental.

There's meds for that.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 11:39 PM, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t stick around and with some improvement contend for a starting job. All depends on his price tag right? 

I have my doubts they can draft/sign enough linemen to just lose everyone. 

The FO will judge locker room and work ethic and those will be deciding factors if they want to bring him back imo. Not just salary 

Improvement?, he has been in the league 4 years. I have seen enough.  He does make way too many mistakes, he set the record in 2018 for blocking air.  

There will be no improvement from him.

I think he struggled because of how fluid Daboll wants the offense to be. It can be a different blocking scheme from week to week and he seems like a guy that's more suited for an offense that doesn't switch it up too often.

Edited by blacklabel

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Not specifically you, but I can’t help if I’m 5 years posters will be saying, “Another Bean Gem” sarcastically. 

Miller was by far not Whaley’s worst pick.

If Beane totally sh#ts the bed in an unprofessional manner like Dimwit Doug did,  I will be glad to call him out on it. It wouldn’t be Another Beane Gem though, I’d come up with some new shtick. :D