RG John Miller - stay or go?

YoloinOhio

12 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I don't think he sucks. Wrong scheme fit, probably. Think at this point he's better than Ducasse and Teller. But at what cost is the deal breaker...

Scheme fit?

You can run block, pass block or you can't and this kid outright stinks at this point. He might look a bit better with upgrades at RT, OC but he would still be the weakest link. 

The entire 2018 Buffalo Bills starting line needs to be revamped with maybe keeping the one decent player in Dawkins as an OG, RT.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's not fair. RJ didn't throw many picks!

In all seriousness though, all I can add isn't that Johnson coached under Scott Linehan, Jim Caldwell, and Jack Del Rio who have all traditionally run power run schemes. (Though some of that was as a tight ends coach). What he was doing in Indy last year was all power stuff as well. 

I really hope we see we see something similar to what Indy and New England were doing last year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Scheme fit?

You can run block, pass block or you can't and this kid outright stinks at this point. He might look a bit better with upgrades at RT, OC but he would still be the weakest link. 

The entire 2018 Buffalo Bills starting line needs to be revamped with maybe keeping the one decent player in Dawkins as an OG, RT.

Revamped? Absolutely. Regardless, we need depth at the very least. The kid has shown in the past to at least be worthy of a reserve. And Teller last year was also worthy of that as a rookie. I'm not saying Miller is a 6 million dollar man, but he doesn't suck. I've seen him play well, albeit not recently. If the price is right, you keep him. But an upgrade would certainly be welcome

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

In all seriousness though, all I can add isn't that Johnson coached under Scott Linehan, Jim Caldwell, and Jack Del Rio who have all traditionally run power run schemes. (Though some of that was as a tight ends coach). What he was doing in Indy last year was all power stuff as well. 

I really hope we see we see something similar to what Indy and New England were doing last year. 

Same. I know the objective is to improve the athleticism of the line this offseason, but that's a task. It would likely take more than offseason to accomplish this. The only two players(Teller/Dawkins) currently on the roster that project as long term guys are far better suited for the power scheme. 

46 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Scheme fit?

I don’t think it’s nearly as simple as you are making it out to be.  There have been plying o linemen that struggled, went to a a new team, and became solid players.  

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

he also had some major adversities in his life that he had to deal with and people tend to not want to consider any of that.

I can sympathize with his hardships, hey we all have them in some form or another. But you have to believe OBD will approach this from a business perspective, past production and scheme fit. And from what we've seen he's not a world beater by any means, including his rookie year. TBH he's not much better than a vet minimum contract as a 2nd string player. 

12 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

As I recall, he wasn't that good as a rookie, but showed promise.  His 2nd yr he was pretty good.  He regressed once Castillo came & they changed schemes.  I think the new OL coach should have a strong say as to whether or not he's worth trying to salvage for the $.

Accurate assessment.  This year was clearly his worst. I don't know if I'd sign even as depth. Time to move on.

7 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Won't break my heart either way. I would rather blame you guys later.

I’m sure that room will be rather crowded. That’s how it works ‘round these parts. 

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Accurate assessment.  This year was clearly his worst. I don't know if I'd sign even as depth. Time to move on.

But with the right coaching and scheme, can he be salvaged? I really have no idea. 

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m sure that room will be rather crowded. That’s how it works ‘round these parts. 

But with the right coaching and scheme, can he be salvaged? I really have no idea. 

...something ain't passing the smell test Augie....the guy went from the opinionated penthouse to the outhouse too quickly....and it was to alleged to be Castillo's scheme...maybe Nine Juan Juan is gone because he failed to develop a scheme to fit his personnel versus his inflexible thinking?.....

7 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Agree. I like to give the new OL coach a shot at him. He does have some talent.

New OL coach will watch all the tape , see him in mini camp , etc. and make a judgement.  OL guys are hard to come by, so be careful b4 you start shooting everyone in the offseason

9 hours ago, thurst44 said:

If Buffalo Rumblings is correct about his price, sure. He's showed extended flashes of promise (unfortunately has been a disaster more often), but as many have said here, maybe with a new coach, and it's insurance if we bust on all of our FA OL. 

excellent ! !

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

New OL coach will watch all the tape , see him in mini camp , etc. and make a judgement.  OL guys are hard to come by, so be careful b4 you start shooting everyone in the offseason

They would have to sign him first... that’s the point of the thread. He’s a FA. Should the Bills re-sign him?

From the article:

Contract Projection

If I’m the Bills, I offer Miller Vlad Ducasse money because I’m probably only keeping one of them around. Ducasse is set to make $2 million in 2019, the final year of his contract. That number is mostly in line with the other contracts listed above, which value marginal starting guards at just over $2 million per season.

Two years, $4.8 million including $500,000 signing bonus

Pro-rated signing bonus: $250,000
Salary: $2 million
Cap hit: $2.25 million

Pro-rated signing bonus: $250,000
Salary: $2.3 million
Cap hit: $2.55 million