RG John Miller - stay or go?

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

With Castillo coaching and losing Richie and Wood, it was hard to tell who sucked and who got Castillo'd with a bad scheme.  Miller showed enough promise to warrant at least a low end deal, but I'd like to think we are going all out to give Allen the best shot next year.

Agree. I like to give the new OL coach a shot at him. He does have some talent.

If Buffalo Rumblings is correct about his price, sure. He's showed extended flashes of promise (unfortunately has been a disaster more often), but as many have said here, maybe with a new coach, and it's insurance if we bust on all of our FA OL. 

• Haha (+1) 1

...was reading an article on the Top TEN FA OL......Miller was at #9...........

9. John Miller, Guard

After playing only four games and being benched for Vladimir Ducasse in 2017, Miller returned to a starting role with the Buffalo Bills last season. At just 25 years old, Miller offers teams a younger option than some of the names on this list, but also an option that hasn’t yet broken an overall grade of 70.0 in a season. This past season, he was only charged with one sack in 529 pass-blocking snaps, however.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-interior-offensive-linemen-set-to-enter-free-agency-in-2019

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

11 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I don't think he sucks. Wrong scheme fit, probably. Think at this point he's better than Ducasse and Teller. But at what cost is the deal breaker...

i believe this is the problem. he is much better suited for a power scheme. he also played left guard all during his college career.  i think that's where he should be and think he would be a road grader for shady at that spot. he could be a reuben brown for us there. i think teller has the ability to play all spots and could be good on the right side.

i think the problem for miller was mills. miller had his assignment but had to deal with mills getting whipped around and having 2 guys in his gap all the time.

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

If he couldn’t live up to average expectations on a rookie contract what kind of effort will we expect from him once he gets a pay raise?

he played very well during his rookie year in the power scheme....which juan screwed up. he also had some major adversities in his life that he had to deal with and people tend to not want to consider any of that.

• Like (+1) 3

Let the new OL coach decide if he's salvageable/scheme fit and go from there. 

8 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i believe this is the problem. he is much better suited for a power scheme. he also played left guard all during his college career.  i think that's where he should be and think he would be a road grader for shady at that spot. he could be a reuben brown for us there. i think teller has the ability to play all spots and could be good on the right side.

i think the problem for miller was mills. miller had his assignment but had to deal with mills getting whipped around and having 2 guys in his gap all the time.

he played very well during his rookie year in the power scheme....which juan screwed up. he also had some major adversities in his life that he had to deal with and people tend to not want to consider any of that.

Any insight on the Rob Johnson scheme?

Miller was clearly a liability last year. 

Rarely have I seen an offensive linemen look so lost regarding who he should be blocking. Defenders were able to get into his body and drive him back quite often as well.

His footwork was terrible, cemented to the ground and often lunging off balance - some of that was late realization of who he should pickup, some of that was just bad technique. There were obviously some questions around how the coaching was being done, maybe more tough love was needed - I dunno but Castillo was let go so there was the thought that he was not coaching these guys up very well.

All that being said, an offensive line has to operate as a unit, if you do not trust or know how the guy next to you is going to block and you start trying to compensate it all goes to pieces in a hurry and everyone looks bad. Think of a guard trying to pull on a play where the center can't get anchored and is driven back 3-4 feet; the whole play becomes a train wreck.

My vote would be to drop most of the under performers back to the PS, and give fresh blood (free agents and rookies we pick up in the draft) a shot at filling the holes. That gives Bobby Johnson a chance to correct technique and see who can be salvaged and who cannot. Johnson worked under some pretty successful o-line coaches, in Indy last year, and under D'Alessandris on Buffalo's Chan Gailey staff. Most remember how boring Chan was, but the Bills ran the ball extremely well under Gailey. I expect a quantum leap in the performance of this unit next year.

• Like (+1) 1