RG John Miller - stay or go?

YoloinOhio

Summary

I’m sure you’re asking, if John Miller has all these tools, why are the Bills so eager to find a replacement? Miller unfortunately has what could be the single worst trait for a lineman, known as “inconsistency.” He’s strong enough to take on a double team and ward off the likes of Margus Hunt but he’s just as capable of letting his feet slip up and getting shoved around as a result. He’s agile and fast enough to move block and bounce around the field, but can be indecisive. Miller’s volatility means that when he turns in a bad rep, it can be really bad. As a result, it’s not unfair to consider Miller a liability.

i think he sucks but ayyyyy new OL coach ??

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t stick around and with some improvement contend for a starting job. All depends on his price tag right? 

I have my doubts they can draft/sign enough linemen to just lose everyone. 

The FO will judge locker room and work ethic and those will be deciding factors if they want to bring him back imo. Not just salary 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t stick around and with some improvement contend for a starting job. All depends on his price tag right? 

I have my doubts they can draft/sign enough linemen to just lose everyone. 

The FO will judge locker room and work ethic and those will be deciding factors if they want to bring him back imo. Not just salary 

My thoughts exactly. May the best man win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Miller is an average G but he was better than Teller and Ducasse. Teller might get better.  

The whole line is a mess. Dawkins regressed last year. There are too many holes to deal with in one year. Bringing Miller back on a reasonable 3 yr deal would be fine. Could they find a suitable replacement? Probably.  

My hunch is they sign two linemen in FA and draft at least one more.  I'm not even sure they know if Dawkins is the answer at LT. 

• Like (+1) 2

As I recall, he wasn't that good as a rookie, but showed promise.  His 2nd yr he was pretty good.  He regressed once Castillo came & they changed schemes.  I think the new OL coach should have a strong say as to whether or not he's worth trying to salvage for the $.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He is a mystery. Started well enough, got better his 2nd year--to the point of looking like a longterm staple of our line, and has seemed to regress the past two years. I am of the camp that says keep him unless there is an obvious upgrade in FA, or sign the upgrade, and let him battle it out with Teller and a draft pick for a G position.

Also, could he slide over the Center?

Edited by CSBill

15 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Is "inconsistency" correctable?

Most likely not. Also, he is not versatile enough to play multiple positions to be a backup.

That final point is why I think ultimately he'll be somewhere else. If you are wanting a cheap sub standard backup, at least get versatility. I can't see all things being equal, why you would take Miller over Groy. Neither should be starting, but Groy covers Center too

Edited by Mountain Man

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

He is a mystery. Started well enough, got better his 2nd year--to the point of looking like a longterm staple of our line, and has seemed to regress the past two years. I am of the camp that says keep him unless there is an obvious upgrade in FA, or sign the upgrade, and let him battle it out with Teller and a draft pick for a G position.

Also, could he slide over the Center?

I don’t know but Center is a very difficult position to learn and to play. I’m a fan of drafting or signing a pure Center rather than trying to turn a guard into a center. I don’t even like when colleges take a guard and make him a center for his last season and then he’s expected to play center in the nfl right away. Jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1