FA Offensive Tackle Daryl Williams ( Update - Bills reportedly pursuing)

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Meazy26 said:

My dream is to sign Daryl Williams, Matt Paradis, and Trent Brown.

(LT) Trent Brown - (LG) Dion Dawkins - (C) Matt Paradis - (RG) Wyatt Teller - (RT) Daryl Williams 

Probably would cost us at least 10mil per year for each guy. It’s would take upwards of about 35mil of our cap space. Still would have nearly 50mil left over. Sign another stud pass rusher and a WR... Playoffs! 

One can dream, right? 

I would pass on Trent Brown. He had a good run in the playoffs, but was likely the worst player on that NE OL for most of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Center needs to be the top O line priority. The interior looks completely disorganised without an experienced veteran. We need to go after Paradis and pay big. After that, maybe Williams comes into thinking.

But it's a good draft O line class. And there is value in the first few rounds.

I don’t why people want to overpay for a possible injury risk Tackle, especially since G and C are cheaper, and as stated above the draft is rich with Tackles. Our interior is the greatest need where we can build a great running program to counter the Pass.  Bottom line is Tackles cost a ton of money right behind QB’s,WR, and Pass Rushers.

we can get those more expensive players in the draft on the cheap, and fortify the positions of need.  Remember we need around $5 mil for the draft, $5 mil for an emergency fund, and save some cap space for who we extend the following year to keep players here for the long haul.  Just one of them will be T. White in 2020.  He is a lockdown CB.

Even if the cap increases to $90 mil, that is $15-20 mil off the top, so use the money carefully as Beane stated in the letter to season ticket holders.

We’re not going to blow even $80 mil in this free agency.  Maybe $60 mil.  Wouldn’t it be more prudent to get a Paradis, C, and two WR, or a TE and WR?

Yes. He's a dog for sure.

$10M is definitely the number, and I'm good with it. I also think Buffalo has an inside track to land him on 2

fronts: the Carolina connection, and they were very high on him in the 2015 draft. Their 3rd round pick came down to him and John Miller--Miller was a better fit for Roman's scheme.

The challenge is going to be center. Better start calling Philly and working on that Jason Kelce trade, because Paradis and Morse will have a LOT of attention 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t why people want to overpay for a possible injury risk Tackle, especially since G and C are cheaper, and as stated above the draft is rich with Tackles. Our interior is the greatest need where we can build a great running program to counter the Pass.  Bottom line is Tackles cost a ton of money right behind QB’s,WR, and Pass Rushers.

we can get those more expensive players in the draft on the cheap, and fortify the positions of need.  Remember we need around $5 mil for the draft, $5 mil for an emergency fund, and save some cap space for who we extend the following year to keep players here for the long haul.  Just one of them will be T. White in 2020.  He is a lockdown CB.

Even if the cap increases to $90 mil, that is $15-20 mil off the top, so use the money carefully as Beane stated in the letter to season ticket holders.

We’re not going to blow even $80 mil in this free agency.  Maybe $60 mil.  Wouldn’t it be more prudent to get a Paradis, C, and two WR, or a TE and WR?

You said yourself WR is more expensive free agent position so where’s the value in signing two? And who is even worth it this year? There are no #1 WRs in the market. Tyrell Williams maybe. 

I’d rather sign a vet C(Paradis or Morse) and RT Daryl Williams then go after skill positions in the draft. 

29 minutes ago, Chemical said:

You said yourself WR is more expensive free agent position so where’s the value in signing two? And who is even worth it this year? There are no #1 WRs in the market. Tyrell Williams maybe. 

I’d rather sign a vet C(Paradis or Morse) and RT Daryl Williams then go after skill positions in the draft. 

Youre right but as I stated in the other thread, Tate and Brown wouldn’t be that expensive and be helpful to the team.  When I referenced star WR like Julio Jones, and AB, they either are not available or are not in McD and Beane’s plans.

43 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

This draft is deep at OT. No thanks. 

Spend money on the Center. Paradis in particular. Throw a buttload of money at the guy .

I have a few questions here:

1) how well did the deep tackle draft in 2014 work out for Buffalo?

2) with $80M in cap space, why does it have to be either center or tackle?

3) even if Denver doesn't re-sign Paradis, AND the new OL coach wants to run exclusively zone blocking, how confident are you that he'd come here?

A smart team would be doing everything that they can to fill needs through FA and trade so that they don't feel forced into drafting for need, which is never the best way to build a franchise.

18 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Youre right but as I stated in the other thread, Tate and Brown wouldn’t be that expensive and be helpful to the team.  When I referenced star WR like Julio Jones, and AB, they either are not available or are not in McD and Beane’s plans.

Why wouldn't Tate be expensive? WRs tend to get PAID on the open market 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I have a few questions here:

1) how well did the deep tackle draft in 2014 work out for Buffalo?

2) with $80M in cap space, why does it have to be either center or tackle?

3) even if Denver doesn't re-sign Paradis, AND the new OL coach wants to run exclusively zone blocking, how confident are you that he'd come here?

A smart team would be doing everything that they can to fill needs through FA and trade so that they don't feel forced into drafting for need, which is never the best way to build a franchise.

Why wouldn't Tate be expensive? WRs tend to get PAID on the open market 

It didn't work out for us cuz the WR class was just as deep and we needed WR help

I don't know what your point is but Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin, were all available when we were up. Not my fault our front office was inept and decided to trade up for Watkins. 

Just because you have that much in cap space, doesn't mean you spend it all on mediocre players to fill a need. Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery come to mind. 

How confident am I that Paradis would come here? Money talks. 

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

3 hours ago, Meazy26 said:

My dream is to sign Daryl Williams, Matt Paradis, and Trent Brown.

(LT) Trent Brown - (LG) Dion Dawkins - (C) Matt Paradis - (RG) Wyatt Teller - (RT) Daryl Williams 

Probably would cost us at least 10mil per year for each guy. It’s would take upwards of about 35mil of our cap space. Still would have nearly 50mil left over. Sign another stud pass rusher and a WR... Playoffs! 

One can dream, right? 

I like your plan but would be very hesitant to sign trent Brown at LT as he is an RT forced to play there when Isiah Wynn got hurt.  He is not a good pass pro guy and the NE quick passing game covered up some glaring holes in his game.  Remember when we played Langston Walker at LT - disaster!

Have to believe C and RT are a target for McD and Beane and are more affordable.  Then Draft your LT (Jonah Williams in Rd1) or Andre Dillard in Back half of rd 1 (trade scenario) or Rd 2.  Get a 5th year option on a premium cost position if picked in Rd1 - may be why they try trade up to back of Rd 1 and snag Dillard.

So Line could look like this:

Rookie LT -  Dawkins LG - FA Morse/Paradis C - Teller RG - FA Williams RT

Good mix of youth and veterans and way more talent and power to run block.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

It didn't work out for us cuz the WR class was just as deep and we needed WR help

I don't know what your point is but Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Zack Martin, were all available when we were up. Not my fault our front office was inept and decided to trade up for Watkins. 

Just because you have that much in cap space, doesn't mean you spend it all on mediocre players to fill a need. Langston Walker and Derrick Dockery come to mind. 

How confident am I that Paradis would come here? Money talks. 

The point is clear: it's a patently bad plan to rely on filling needs in the draft.

Why? Because when you're on the clock, and a guy like Aaron Donald is there, you should feel totally comfortable picking him and not having to worry about filling needs. It's a far better approach to fill needs with known commodities in FA and use the draft to stock the roster with the most talented players.

Also, if money talks, then forget about Paradis. The Jets have more cap space than the Bills and an even bigger need at center. But you should know at this point that money does not talk. John Brown, Bryan Bulaga, Rick Wagner, and others over the years have turned down bigger money from Buffalo to go/stay elsewhere.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes. He's a dog for sure.

$10M is definitely the number, and I'm good with it. I also think Buffalo has an inside track to land him on 2

fronts: the Carolina connection, and they were very high on him in the 2015 draft. Their 3rd round pick came down to him and John Miller--Miller was a better fit for Roman's scheme.

The challenge is going to be center. Better start calling Philly and working on that Jason Kelce trade, because Paradis and Morse will have a LOT of attention 

Yeah this is basically the Bills "Star Lotulelei pre-destined UFA signing" of 2019...........a move almost required after the Cordy Glenn trade in the same way that Star was needed to fix the structural damage caused by the Dareus trade.

Except of course that Williams is a younger and much better player than Star if healthy.   

I think the right approach here is to fully guarantee the first two years of the deal rather than any pro-rating of bonus(say $22.5M of the $52.5M).

Then when the McBeane draft picks start hitting FA they can:

1) extend/restructure him if he plays great

2) trade him if he plays very well but they want to use a cheaper replacement

3) release him with no dead money if he doesn't play well

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah this is basically the Bills "Star Lotulelei pre-destined UFA signing" of 2019...........a move almost required after the Cordy Glenn trade in the same way that Star was needed to fix the structural damage caused by the Dareus trade.

Except of course that Williams is a younger and much better player than Star if healthy.   

I think the right approach here is to fully guarantee the first two years of the deal rather than any pro-rating of bonus(say $22.5M of the $52.5M).

Then when the McBeane draft picks start hitting FA they can:

1) extend/restructure him if he plays great

2) trade him if he plays very well but they want to use a cheaper replacement

3) release him with no dead money if he doesn't play well

Agreed--call it the Reggie McKenzie contract approach.

5 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Center needs to be the top O line priority. The interior looks completely disorganised without an experienced veteran. We need to go after Paradis and pay big. After that, maybe Williams comes into thinking.

But it's a good draft O line class. And there is value in the first few rounds.

The Bills surely want to upgrade at center.........but Russell Bodine is a very experienced but still young veteran..........and performance-wise he apparently grades out as around the 20th best starting center in the NFL so he's more serviceable than he gets credit for here.

What they need is a more talented player.

The pickings are slim there in FA..........my guess is they go to the draft with Bodine penciled in as the starter and then try to draft someone to compete with him in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Yeah that’s a hefty price tag. But we gotta spend it somewhere right? 

With this much cap space and how much they HAVE to spend I’m sure they have to give out some bad contracts. Even at 10 million I wouldn’t consider this a bad contract for him 

This year, in the draft,  the OT class is superb.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-offensive-tackle-class-headlined-by-jonah-williams-looks-like-best-in-a-decade/

Edit: for a more recent article on this years' OT class, see https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/31/offensive-tackle-class-shaping-up-to-be-great/

There is a good chance Jawaan Taylor may be available at #9 (genuine top 5 talent). You also have Little, Ford (my favorite) and Jonah Williams with first round talent - at least two of whom will fall to round 2. And I did not even include Risner.

Mind you, I am not saying Daryl Williams is not good. On the contrary - I would love to have him. Just that, options cheaper than 10 mill per exist. By all means, overpay a bit for Paradis or Morse - not many centers available.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

Carolina want to keep him, but the reports are that he wants more than they are willing to offer. Talks last season went nowhere and he made the unfortunate decision to back himself this season and bet against injury. 

He will test the market and likely not return. He may get more than he is worth since there are several teams with the need and cap space.

He had a great 2017, but prior to that he was just average, so it’s a lot of money to put into a guy who really only had one breakout season.