FA Offensive Tackle Daryl Williams ( Update - Bills reportedly pursuing)

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills surely want to upgrade at center.........but Russell Bodine is a very experienced but still young veteran..........and performance-wise he apparently grades out as around the 20th best starting center in the NFL so he's more serviceable than he gets credit for here.

What they need is a more talented player.

The pickings are slim there in FA..........my guess is they go to the draft with Bodine penciled in as the starter and then try to draft someone to compete with him in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Still think someone could pilfer Kelce from Philly. If they truly intend to tag Foles, then they need to ditch Peters, Bennett, and one of Agholor or Kelce...and that's before they make any moves to re-sign graham or sign draft picks.

Someone is going to get a top-5 center for a song--might as well be us

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Still think someone could pilfer Kelce from Philly. If they truly intend to tag Foles, then they need to ditch Peters, Bennett, and one of Agholor or Kelce...and that's before they make any moves to re-sign graham or sign draft picks.

Someone is going to get a top-5 center for a song--might as well be us

Yeah I saw you mentioned that the other day and that would be an ideal guy to pair up with Allen.

If the Bills can't get anyone to take their money in FA(often a Bills-world problem) they could just use these picks to fill up that pesky cap space:

#1.....Julio

#2......Kuechly

#3.......Kelce

#5.......G.McCoy

And all process guys.?

If all else fails I'd love to see Peters finish his career in Buffalo...........but that bridge has probably been burned(like the house that he abandoned in Buffalo......lightning rod fell off.....*poof*).

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Meazy26 said:

My dream is to sign Daryl Williams, Matt Paradis, and Trent Brown.

(LT) Trent Brown - (LG) Dion Dawkins - (C) Matt Paradis - (RG) Wyatt Teller - (RT) Daryl Williams 

Probably would cost us at least 10mil per year for each guy. It’s would take upwards of about 35mil of our cap space. Still would have nearly 50mil left over. Sign another stud pass rusher and a WR... Playoffs! 

One can dream, right? 

With 90 mill in cap space, this could EASILY be done, and still have lots left over to fill other needs.

That’s if the Bills want to go in that direction, of course.

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Now is the time to spend the money since Allen will be on his rookie deal for 3-4 more years.  

If he keeps progrssing they wont have this kind of money in 4 years.  

Yeah that appears to be the formula for teams that don't have great veteran QB's with 15+ years of experience.

When the Seahawks(Wilson) and Niners(Kaep) did it maybe it could have been seen as unique circumstances.

But with the Eagles and Rams and Chiefs all being aggressive with their rosters to support very young QB's and having it pay off.........yeah it's a real thing now and the Bills are in that window.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Wouldn’t it be more prudent to get a Paradis, C, and two WR, or a TE and WR?

I wouldn't sign a FA TE. The draft is so deep I'd just wait.

4 hours ago, Meazy26 said:

My dream is to sign Daryl Williams, Matt Paradis, and Trent Brown.

(LT) Trent Brown - (LG) Dion Dawkins - (C) Matt Paradis - (RG) Wyatt Teller - (RT) Daryl Williams 

Probably would cost us at least 10mil per year for each guy. It’s would take upwards of about 35mil of our cap space. Still would have nearly 50mil left over. Sign another stud pass rusher and a WR... Playoffs! 

One can dream, right? 

Dawkins at Guard would be a nightmare. We've tried him across the line, he was terrible everywhere apart from LT.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

I like your plan but would be very hesitant to sign trent Brown at LT as he is an RT forced to play there when Isiah Wynn got hurt.  He is not a good pass pro guy and the NE quick passing game covered up some glaring holes in his game.  Remember when we played Langston Walker at LT - disaster!

Have to believe C and RT are a target for McD and Beane and are more affordable.  Then Draft your LT (Jonah Williams in Rd1) or Andre Dillard in Back half of rd 1 (trade scenario) or Rd 2.  Get a 5th year option on a premium cost position if picked in Rd1 - may be why they try trade up to back of Rd 1 and snag Dillard.

So Line could look like this:

Rookie LT -  Dawkins LG - FA Morse/Paradis C - Teller RG - FA Williams RT

Good mix of youth and veterans and way more talent and power to run block.

Thats probably the most realistic and best option at the same time. Im fully on board.

8 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I wouldn't sign a FA TE. The draft is so deep I'd just wait.

Yeah there are TE's in this draft are going to go a good 2 rounds later than they would in a normal year.

The current mock drafts are misleading because after comp picks get added in the 7th round is basically the 9th round.......but a 5th round pick could realistically get you a high use TE this year.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

50 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

This year, in the draft,  the OT class is superb.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-draft-2019-offensive-tackle-class-headlined-by-jonah-williams-looks-like-best-in-a-decade/

Edit: for a more recent article on this years' OT class, see https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/31/offensive-tackle-class-shaping-up-to-be-great/

There is a good chance Jawaan Taylor may be available at #9 (genuine top 5 talent). You also have Little, Ford (my favorite) and Jonah Williams with first round talent - at least two of whom will fall to round 2. And I did not even include Risner.

Mind you, I am not saying Daryl Williams is not good. On the contrary - I would love to have him. Just that, options cheaper than 10 mill per exist. By all means, overpay a bit for Paradis or Morse - not many centers available.

I get the logic, but two things... 

1... they HAVE to spend a decent amount of that cap money and there’s not a lot of places to spend it 

2.. You can never have too many good linemen. I’d rather have a vet starting the season out than a rookie at tackle. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I get the logic, but two things... 

1... they HAVE to spend a decent amount of that cap money and there’s not a lot of places to spend it 

2.. You can never have too many good linemen. I’d rather have a vet starting the season out than a rookie at tackle. 

Fair enough. Although, we can carry forward the unused portion to the next year. I'm all-in for building the line.

35 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Dawkins at Guard would be a nightmare. We've tried him across the line, he was terrible everywhere apart from LT.

Dawkins looked incredible in limited exposure at LG in place of Incognito..........just killing people inside........I think he could be an All Pro guard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Fair enough. Although, we can carry forward the unused portion to the next year. I'm all-in for building the line.

I forget the exact number but I think it’s something like each team has to spend at minimum 89% of their cap and can only roll over what’s left from that. 

Something like that. With so many teams having money to spend it will possibly be hard to get the right players and spend enough money, especially for the bills because of the roster they don’t even have a lot of players they can extend to use some of the cap. This offseason is huge for the obvious reasons of needing starters and depth but also being smart spending and working contracts so they actually have money and can get out of some contracts if needed to extend all these young guys we have. 

It’s down the road but you’re looking at hefty salaries for guys like Milano and White and Dawkins, possible vets like Poyer and Hyde. 

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dawkins looked incredible in limited exposure at LG in place of Incognito..........just killing people inside........I think he could be an All Pro guard.

He looked shocking at LG.

He is a good LT. Keep him there.

Let's not try and break the 1 bit of our O line that's doesn't need fixing

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t why people want to overpay for a possible injury risk Tackle, especially since G and C are cheaper, and as stated above the draft is rich with Tackles. Our interior is the greatest need where we can build a great running program to counter the Pass.  Bottom line is Tackles cost a ton of money right behind QB’s,WR, and Pass Rushers.

we can get those more expensive players in the draft on the cheap, and fortify the positions of need.  Remember we need around $5 mil for the draft, $5 mil for an emergency fund, and save some cap space for who we extend the following year to keep players here for the long haul.  Just one of them will be T. White in 2020.  He is a lockdown CB.

Even if the cap increases to $90 mil, that is $15-20 mil off the top, so use the money carefully as Beane stated in the letter to season ticket holders.

We’re not going to blow even $80 mil in this free agency.  Maybe $60 mil.  Wouldn’t it be more prudent to get a Paradis, C, and two WR, or a TE and WR?

It's the NFL, everyone is an injury risk at some point.  Williams had surgery to repair his injury, that often helps.  If we decide to pursue him, they will evaluate his medical issues, if he's not healthy , they won't sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s down the road but you’re looking at hefty salaries for guys like Milano and White and Dawkins, possible vets like Poyer and Hyde. 

That's a thought. Maybe we can rework some of their contracts by front loading them for this year and locking em up long term.

8 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Center needs to be the top O line priority. The interior looks completely disorganised without an experienced veteran. We need to go after Paradis and pay big. After that, maybe Williams comes into thinking.

But it's a good draft O line class. And there is value in the first few rounds.

I agree 100% man.

Solid center in FA, draft a LT and slide Dawk to guard or RT.  

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I forget the exact number but I think it’s something like each team has to spend at minimum 89% of their cap and can only roll over what’s left from that. 

Something like that. With so many teams having money to spend it will possibly be hard to get the right players and spend enough money, especially for the bills because of the roster they don’t even have a lot of players they can extend to use some of the cap. This offseason is huge for the obvious reasons of needing starters and depth but also being smart spending and working contracts so they actually have money and can get out of some contracts if needed to extend all these young guys we have. 

I'm not so sure Milano becomes a big ticket linebacker, White for sure, Dawkins hasn't earned a new contract at all, Hyde will be 31/32- no big contract there. Poyer won't get a long term deal at age 30.  I would think any contract Hyde or Poyer would get post age 30 would be designed with little risk for the Bills to term early in the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, simpleman said:

The yearly money does not bother me. The guarantee does due to the seriousness of his injury. Being stuck with $20 million in dead cap after signing a player and having him permanently injuring his knee after little or no regular season playing time with the Bills is a serious possibility with a weakened knee. An injury like that always leaves  your knee weakened and vulnerable to re-injury the rest of your life. 20 Million in dead cap can put a serious dent in the team's future. It is a gamble and not a good one.

There ya go!