FA Offensive Tackle Daryl Williams ( Update - Bills reportedly pursuing)

YoloinOhio

Saw some speculation that the Bills will sign him in FA. 2nd team all pro in 2017, missed all of 2018 with knee injury. Thoughts?

From Wikipedia -

On July 28, 2018 during training camp, Williams was carted off the field with an apparent knee injury.[9] It was later revealed that day that Williams dislocated his right kneecap and tore his MCL.[10] Despite the injury, Williams started in the season opener against the Dallas Cowboys, however left the game in the fourth quarter with a knee injury.[11] It was confirmed that Williams had re-injured his right knee and would be sidelined indefinitely.[12] He was then placed on injured reserve on September 12, 2018 after deciding to undergo knee surgery.[13]

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Dislocates his knee cap and tears his MCL and then plays in the opener some six or seven weeks later?  

Sold.

That’s all I need to know about this guy’s football character. 

So in other words, McDermott is drooling 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So in other words, McDermott is drooling 

Well, there is that Panther connection.

Seriously, I haven’t seen too much of him, but he’s looked good on the few occasions I watched him play. Is he any good? I see he made 2nd team All Pro in 2017. That’s no small feat. Can definitely see him being targeted if the medicals are good.

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

He would be a huge upgrade at the position, the MCL I'm sure is a significant injury but it's not an ACL which is even more significant. Williams at RT and Spain at LG? Get your pass rusher at #9, WR in the 2nd round and future C in the 3rd and lets all go do some shots? Anyone?

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c5fb495306b4c6b63

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

That is stiffer than I imagined. Maybe 6-7 mill per year. 

Yeah that’s a hefty price tag. But we gotta spend it somewhere right? 

With this much cap space and how much they HAVE to spend I’m sure they have to give out some bad contracts. Even at 10 million I wouldn’t consider this a bad contract for him 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Yeah that’s a hefty price tag. But we gotta spend it somewhere right? 

Couldn't agree more Rc2catch.

If we can put an All-Pro tackle on our OL for the next six years I'd spend $10MM a year right now to get it done.  In three years the going rate for a solid O-line tackle will be $15MM a year.  Lock him up now.  Great O-linemen don't make it to free agency very often. 

How many times did we watch our best players walk because we had no cap space to resign them after their rookie contract?  The Panthers only have $23MM in cap space this year.  They can't afford to keep him unless he takes a huge hometown discount.  Let's take advantage of their cap mismanagement and steal this guy from them.  It's nice to finally be the franchise with some salary cap mojo.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3

MCL is not as bad as the other knee ligaments.  I finished last 45 minutes of a high school practice w/torn MCL.

After signing their draft picks, Carolina will only have $18 mil under the cap so he is leaving for sure - if medical clears and you think you can get 3-4 years out of him, they should do it.  This year Indy showed why you pay a premium to protect your quarterback.  If Allen could ever get comfortable sitting in the pocket, look out.

• Like (+1) 3

Williams is a great fit and based on the "Carolina Connection" and our cap space availability we hopefully make this move and lock down the RT spot for years to come.

Add a TE and DT and possibly a C in FA and then use the draft to get a WR, TE, G, RB and LB and the team is looking good in 2019

Center needs to be the top O line priority. The interior looks completely disorganised without an experienced veteran. We need to go after Paradis and pay big. After that, maybe Williams comes into thinking.

But it's a good draft O line class. And there is value in the first few rounds.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills could stand to upgrade at every o-line position. Assuming the medical issues are cleared, YES, sign him. He still has several years of NFL time left, 2nd team All-Pro, even if you have to over-spend, if you are serious about protecting your franchise QB, you sign him! And continue to look for upgrades in FA and the draft.

I would be all for signing him, drafting another tackle in round1 or 2, and moving Dawkins inside . . . do whatever you can, anyway, you can, to upgrade the line.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CSBill said:

The Bills could stand to upgrade at every o-line position. Assuming the medical issues are cleared, YES, sign him. He still has several years of NFL time left, 2nd team All-Pro, even if you have to over-spend, if you are serious about protecting your franchise QB, you sign him! And continue to look for upgrades in FA and the draft.

I would be all for signing him, drafting another tackle in round1 or 2, and moving Dawkins inside . . . do whatever you can, anyway, you can, to upgrade the line.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say all positions need an upgrade. 3 out of 5. I think Teller is going to stick and I also believe Dawkins belongs on the line, not sure he is a LT. Dawkins showed regression last season which could of been a product of not having Richie next to him. I look for Tellers improvement to help Dawkins. I’d like to sign Williams for RT and one other FA lineman then draft 2 more o lineman. Besides quarterback there is not one unit more important than o line. New England gets it. Draft and develop lineman. Sprinkle In a FA when necessary. 

My dream is to sign Daryl Williams, Matt Paradis, and Trent Brown.

(LT) Trent Brown - (LG) Dion Dawkins - (C) Matt Paradis - (RG) Wyatt Teller - (RT) Daryl Williams 

Probably would cost us at least 10mil per year for each guy. It’s would take upwards of about 35mil of our cap space. Still would have nearly 50mil left over. Sign another stud pass rusher and a WR... Playoffs! 

One can dream, right? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Saw some speculation that the Bills will sign him in FA. 2nd team all pro in 2017, missed all of 2018 with knee injury. Thoughts?

From Wikipedia -

The yearly money does not bother me. The guarantee does due to the seriousness of his injury. Being stuck with $20 million in dead cap after signing a player and having him permanently injuring his knee after little or no regular season playing time with the Bills is a serious possibility with a weakened knee. An injury like that always leaves  your knee weakened and vulnerable to re-injury the rest of your life. 20 Million in dead cap can put a serious dent in the team's future. It is a gamble and not a good one.

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 1