Trains

TSNBDSC

Having grown up in Buffalo, I was always going over/under railroad tracks.  When I moved to Seattle, discovered a whole different train scene.  The mountains and the rivers gave a whole different perspective.  Double deck piggy back's, that would never clear the older east coast right of ways, are very normal in the west  California has the California State Railroad Museum, in Sacramento that is fantastic.

3 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I can get sucked in and end up watching several of those train videos on YouTube. 

Robots will run the railroads soon.  First fully automated RR is now online in Australia:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/robot-train-australia/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Robots will run the railroads soon.  First fully automated RR is now online in Australia:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/robot-train-australia/

In Australia there is a long train ride that goes all the way across from the big cities on the east side to Perth on the west side.  Hundreds and hundreds of miles across barren land.  I could see that being run by robots, at least for large stretches. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Locks are next!

They already are.  In 2003... They ran the Mel Price Lock near St.Louis from Houston and Washington DC.  2003!

That's 16 years ago.  But they still need at least one person to run robot, oversee computer and two people crew for safety. So basically 2 boots always on ground.

We've been running two person crew for decades.

Bottom line... Can't go anymore "skeleton crew" than we do now.  Kind of funny, I am not worried.  Unlike railroads, there is still a slight human element with locks.  That's already us!

Same with railroads.  They will have to keep one or two pair of boots on ground for safety & security.  Again... We have already been there for the past 40 years with security and safety.  We actually went from a one person crew to a two person crew 50 years ago.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

There are mines in Australia where equipment is being remotely operated in from a command center thousands of miles away.

Yep.  But they always need security guards.   That, security, will be last to be automated, if ever???

On 2/10/2019 at 8:02 AM, Gray Beard said:

In Australia there is a long train ride that goes all the way across from the big cities on the east side to Perth on the west side.  Hundreds and hundreds of miles across barren land.  I could see that being run by robots, at least for large stretches. 

I'll bet the Bar Car does very well on that run.