Sports radio - national and local

YoloinOhio

On 2/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, Misterbluesky said:

Not sure if you lived here when The Coach (Chuck Dickerson) was on.Not only did he yell/scream at some callers,he would also threaten to kick their asses..literally invited people to come to the studios for dance in.the parking lot.

Very entertaining show back in the day.

I always listened to the Coach when I was little. He got so angry over the stupidest stuff. And outside of football, he knew next to nothing about other sports. He especially didn't know his hockey, but played it off like he did. 

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I always listened to the Coach when I was little. He got so angry over the stupidest stuff. And outside of football, he knew next to nothing about other sports. He especially didn't know his hockey, but played it off like he did. 

Coach talked a fan out of driving into the water off the top of the Peace Bridge after another dismal Bills loss

best was the fan calling often asking Marv to get his head out of his little Shakespeare book and start coaching the team as it skids into oblivion 

I really enjoyed Jay Mohr when he got his own show opposite Jim Rome a few years ago.  His Jim Rome impression made me laugh every single time.  Not sure whatever happened to him - he seems to have largely disappeared from Hollywood.

7 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I really enjoyed Jay Mohr when he got his own show opposite Jim Rome a few years ago.  His Jim Rome impression made me laugh every single time.  Not sure whatever happened to him - he seems to have largely disappeared from Hollywood.

He was going out with Jennie Buss last year.

On 2/17/2019 at 12:35 PM, row_33 said:

Chuck and Art Wander (on occasion) were awesome during the decline and fall of the Kelly Era and the bad years after that 

i couldn’t imagine this content being allowed in this heavily scripted and censored era of journalism 

I used to listen to Art Wander every day after school. Very entertaining.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Art was before my time, but I've heard legends. My math teacher in middle school used to call in with the most ridiculous takes just to hear Art go berserk. 

Coach brought Art in a few times a month during the decline of the Marv Empire, best entertainment for my commute then, ripping into the facade

When I lived in the DC area, I liked to listen to Tony Kornheiser.

His sports coverage was pretty good, but I really liked it when Tony would veer off onto an unsports topic.  He's good at talk radio.

To my knowledge, TK is off the air and doing podcasts now.

50 minutes ago, boater said:

His sports coverage was pretty good, but I really liked it when Tony would veer off onto an unsports topic.  He's good at talk radio.

And, I listen to the podcast every day.  He's the best and just like you said - it's the non sports stuff that is the best part of it. 

56 minutes ago, boater said:

Tony and Wilbon are still doing PTI which is still the gold standard for journalists crossing over into TV IMO.  Unfortunately it spawned a lot of bad imitations.  

7 hours ago, stony said:

Tony and Wilbon are still doing PTI which is still the gold standard for journalists crossing over into TV IMO.  Unfortunately it spawned a lot of bad imitations.  

PTI is the only one of those “back and forth” sports shows I ever watch. Occasionally I’ll watch Around the Horn but only to see what’s on Woody Paige’s chalkboard.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 9:26 AM, 707BillsFan said:

I can't listen to local sports radio anymore. Regarding baseball, it's all Giants...A's get no play at all (even when the A's had their own sports radio station). Football, I could care less about the local teams. Not into basketball talk and hockey talk is non-existent here in the Bay Area (since I despise the Sharks too, could care less). 

I don’t listen often, but the local guys talking about the Warriors is horrible. It’s like listening to guys discuss what happened on General Hospital yesterday.  At least when they talk about the Giants they are discussing what guys do on the field. 

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I don’t listen often, but the local guys talking about the Warriors is horrible. It’s like listening to guys discuss what happened on General Hospital yesterday.  At least when they talk about the Giants they are discussing what guys do on the field. 

The NBA is so unnecessarily dramatic and petty. It’s like covering a teen reality show. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The NBA is so unnecessarily dramatic and petty. It’s like covering a teen reality show. 

I don’t watch until the Finals. I used to like Cowherd more than I do now. The drama is sickening, and I’m sick of hearing about Lebron and how great it is to be in LA. 

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The only time I ever seem to stop on their station is when Steinmetz and ??? are on. Occasionally they'll have Papa on (Buffalo guy, but Bay Area homer). I can't listen, it's constant good cop, bad cop radio. Papa just likes to hear himself talk. It's a quick stop while my other stations are on commercial, plus 95.7 is hit and miss in the North Bay. Horrible reception. 

2 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

The only time I ever seem to stop on their station is when Steinmetz and ??? are on. Occasionally they'll have Papa on (Buffalo guy, but Bay Area homer). I can't listen, it's constant good cop, bad cop radio. Papa just likes to hear himself talk. It's a quick stop while my other stations are on commercial, plus 95.7 is hit and miss in the North Bay. Horrible reception. 

Seems like every radio station is hit or miss in North Bay.   Radio is one thing that is a big downgrade moving from NYC, probably compared to just about anywhere else.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

I actually check in from time to time on Papa's show even living in Buffalo. Love when he talks NFL. Glad the 49'ers signed him. Best play by play guy there is. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/20/2019 at 10:43 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Art was before my time, but I've heard legends. My math teacher in middle school used to call in with the most ridiculous takes just to hear Art go berserk. 

It was great.  There were things that would "set him off", and like 2 of 3 calls were people either pushing his buttons and/or pranking.  He would go nuts.  It was probably all an act and intentional.  It was highly entertaining and i would be glued anf calling every day as a kid