Sports radio - national and local

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Holy *****. I randomly tuned into WGR for one Bills live today because local shows were too depressing. What percentage of WGR callers are day drunk, do you think?? It has to be close to 75%. Complete rambling incoherence. 

That wasn’t the callers.  I’m blaming CTE for Tasker’s difficulties; Murphy may well be hitting the bottle during the show.  Lord knows GR’s commercial breaks are long enough.

• Haha (+1) 1

I can't listen to local radio anymore. Just too nauseatingly homeristic. We've had a lot of drama surrounding the Senators: the owners, players and wives and our local media wouldn't report on it for fear of being blackballed. I had to read about in British and American papers.

I think Disney has ruined ESPN. I listen to Paul Finebaum and a little Stephen A Smith. Most of my sports listening is Mad Dog on Sirius and Scott Ferrall on CBS

I avoid all the shows where they have a panel yelling at each other. It’s like an ugly family reunion I want no part of. Have a discussion. If you start yelling at them, that’s just like yelling at me. I want no part of it. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/10/2019 at 12:12 PM, bbb said:

I feel the same way!  I get nervous whenever Tony had his physical ailments!

It's a lot like it.  (I just had a flashback to when Tony would always interrupt The Duke trying to do his sports news update!)

i still remember his very first shows ..with Greg Garcia as producer..and Pam Ward was on quite a bit..and even then how awesome it was when Wilbon would come on. Thank god i was in outside sales..and pretty much in the car all day.

And Mr. Tony hooked me right away with his "no athletes" rule. I think most em boring as hell too!

BTW, if you have never read thease, they are great. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/timeline/wagon/wagnfrnt.htm

14 hours ago, Augie said:

I avoid all the shows where they have a panel yelling at each other. It’s like an ugly family reunion I want no part of. Have a discussion. If you start yelling at them, that’s just like yelling at me. I want no part of it. 

Not sure if you lived here when The Coach (Chuck Dickerson) was on.Not only did he yell/scream at some callers,he would also threaten to kick their asses..literally invited people to come to the studios for dance in.the parking lot.

Very entertaining show back in the day.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

i still remember his very first shows ..with Greg Garcia as producer..and Pam Ward was on quite a bit..and even then how awesome it was when Wilbon would come on. Thank god i was in outside sales..and pretty much in the car all day.

And Mr. Tony hooked me right away with his "no athletes" rule. I think most em boring as hell too!

BTW, if you have never read thease, they are great. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/history/timeline/wagon/wagnfrnt.htm

Definitely, for me, the "no athletes" kind of says it all..............The only objection I have is that predictions are boring, too.  And, now he's overdoing it with the NFL picks, and the only week I don't listen is the NCAA bracket week.

Thanks for the bandwagon timeline!  I've heard so much about them, but never knew they were all gathered in one place.

• Like (+1) 1

I can't listen to local sports radio anymore. Regarding baseball, it's all Giants...A's get no play at all (even when the A's had their own sports radio station). Football, I could care less about the local teams. Not into basketball talk and hockey talk is non-existent here in the Bay Area (since I despise the Sharks too, could care less). I listen to SiriusXM sports shows... MLB & NFL Network radio, SiriusXM Fantasy sports, then flip around to the other sports shows to whatever catches my ear for a brief time. Since I recently got into DFS golf, I've started listening to the golf channel too. So very sad. ?

21 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Not sure if you lived here when The Coach (Chuck Dickerson) was on.Not only did he yell/scream at some callers,he would also threaten to kick their asses..literally invited people to come to the studios for dance in.the parking lot.

Chuck and Art Wander (on occasion) were awesome during the decline and fall of the Kelly Era and the bad years after that 

i couldn’t imagine this content being allowed in this heavily scripted and censored era of journalism 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Chuck and Art Wander (on occasion) were awesome during the decline and fall of the Kelly Era and the bad years after that 

i couldn’t imagine this content being allowed in this heavily scripted and censored era of journalism 

My father knew good old Art from the Broadway/Bailey area..I forgot about him.

On 2/16/2019 at 2:40 PM, Misterbluesky said:

No, I was long gone by then. (I’m VERY old, ask @plenzmd1! It would make his day to confirm that.) But I have to ask....are you and @Gugny brothers? The resemblance is uncanny! 

• Haha (+1) 1