Mike Iupati Anyone?

H2o

Iupati was released by Arizona. He battled some knee issues this year, but has been one of the better Gaurds in this league for a long time. I believe San Fran ran a similar scheme to us blocking wise when he was there. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

Iupati was released by Arizona. He battled some knee issues this year, but has been one of the better Gaurds in this league for a long time. I believe San Fran ran a similar scheme to us blocking wise when he was there. 

I believe we tried to get him and he went with AZ.  The only team in the league that runs the same scheme as us is NE, but maybe their blocking concepts are similar.  It would have been a Gregg Roman scheme wich I dont think we do now.

He may end up in Baltimore.  Its kinda scary if AZ rejected him.  They are banged up and bad.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

I believe we tried to get him and he went with AZ.

Yes, I believe we had a contract offer out there. Our coaching situation and culture of the team was different at the time. He signed with AZ when they had Arians, Palmer, and a completely different situation. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...isn't his "list" quite lengthy if I remember correctly?........

I think you are remembering correctly.  Solid player when healthy but nowhere near as good as he was in his prime 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sure, if we can’t get someone better, younger and not coming off injury 

That player would be much more expensive.   At some point the Bills need to make decisions on filling holes at a value.  I'm not saying we should sign Iupati but we should be looking at these less expensive options after some due diligence is done.  

46 minutes ago, White Linen said:

That player would be much more expensive.   At some point the Bills need to make decisions on filling holes at a value.  I'm not saying we should sign Iupati but we should be looking at these less expensive options after some due diligence is done.  

At some point?  Our entire team minus 3 players are a value.  Josh Allen IS our franchise.  I’d rather go “value” at somewhere other than the OL

Btw.  He made under 3.5 mill last year

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I believe we tried to get him and he went with AZ.  The only team in the league that runs the same scheme as us is NE, but maybe their blocking concepts are similar.  It would have been a Gregg Roman scheme wich I dont think we do now.

He may end up in Baltimore.  Its kinda scary if AZ rejected him.  They are banged up and bad.

Has Bobby Johnson stated what kind of blocking scheme we will be running?

He was with the Colts last year.  From what I've read, the Colts ran a mix of power and zone concepts.

Since we are giving our O-Line a total overhaul, I think Johnson would have the freedom to adjust to whatever talent he is given.

In terms of Mike Iupati, I think the Bills should definitely take a look.  The guard market is very thin in both free agency and the draft. 

When the guy plays, he's really good.  If he manages to stay healthy, you may get a huge steal.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I'm all but positive they will make an all-out blitz for linemen on Day 1 and that's where we will be willing to "judiciously" overspend (if we're not aggressive, chances are we'll just get another Ducasse and Mills). Part of me thinks this is the opposite of the way they're going to go, but part of me can see this as a logical move. 

One strategy which has been floating around in my mind: it's a given that protecting Allen and having a line that gives him a chance to succeed is paramount. What I'd love to see them do is use a decent amount of the salary cap space to attempt to sign 3 out of whoever they see as the 6 best linemen regardless of age (provided they realistically have a couple years left in them), ideally to 2 or 3 year contracts, maybe add one younger one (i.e. Daryl Williams, Matt Paradis) to have a veteran line (with Dawkins) going for the next couple years. Meanwhile, use the 2nd to mid-rounds of the draft to target future linemen, and have them work together on same side of line on second team, same with Teller if he does not prove himself ready to start (and try to get Dawkins to take at least a few reps a week with second team maybe to get a rhythm (but i'm not a coach, so that could be not worth as much as i think). Have a vet line to protect Allen for the next couple years and try to put together a future line with chemistry (well, as much as you can given roster constraint

It doesn't sound like the Bills are going to pay big money for top, proven free agents, so this is exactly the kind of risk that they are going to have to take if they want to get some help. He is very unlikely to be a long term solution because of his age and injury history, but if he has a good year or two while a rookie develops then it was a successful deal. I say if the price is right then why not?