Sign in to follow this  
PIZ

Bill Polian on Bills coaching and more....

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I don't think we're soft - I just think we get frustrated with people like you.  You take these hard stances and you as quick as anyone can't handle debate.  There are no other points of view, except yours.   You're actually the soft one but you can't see it.  

There's no way you can have enough knowledge to say you're not sold on the GM.

....GREAT call bud....soft?...seriously?......resilient in support?....who is better?.....those with a continual axe to grind should always wear safety glasses to protect their vision....Jesus, soft?........

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

There's no way you can have enough knowledge to say you're not sold on the GM.

I am open to all points of view. I share mine. You share yours. I read positive takes, negative takes, and everything in between. I recognize that each individual is going to have an opinion. That's kind of the point of a message board.

As to your statement; It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A limited amount of knowledge is precisely why one would not be sold. 

When Beane fields a competitive roster, I will be sold. McDermott has already proven that he can take a bad roster to the playoffs and get 6 wins out of perhaps the worst roster in the league; which is why I have more confidence in McDermott than BB. I like results.

The oddity is that my post was more of a compliment to McDermott than a putdown of Beane. The consensus on the board appears to be that Beane is definitely the guy and McDermott may be the guy. I believe the reverse is true.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Or perhaps I am just comfortable with the reality either way.

It's a hobby and entertainment...........I want to understand why it is and what to expect and I can be objective about it.

You know how the great athletes say "embrace the suck"........well the realistic Bills should do that with the Bills if necessary........or you end up like our resident apologists dying a thousand deaths while they hope for luck and fate to intervene in Bills results.

As for my screen name............don't expose your still-wet-rodent from the BBMB sinking ship nature..........I've been posting here since 1998 and have had plenty of encouraging things to say when it's deserved👍.........there's just been this little "absence of success" thing.    Doesn't stop me from enjoying the game or the tailgating.:beer:

1998 huh...need some Metamucil grandpa?  :)

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I am open to all points of view. I share mine. You share yours. I read positive takes, negative takes, and everything in between. I recognize that each individual is going to have an opinion. That's kind of the point of a message board.

As to your statement; It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A limited amount of knowledge is precisely why one would not be sold. 

When Beane fields a competitive roster, I will be sold. McDermott has already proven that he can take a bad roster to the playoffs and get 6 wins out of perhaps the worst roster in the league; which is why I have more confidence in McDermott than BB. I like results.

The oddity is that my post was more of a compliment to McDermott than a putdown of Beane. The consensus on the board appears to be that Beane is definitely the guy and McDermott may be the guy. I believe the reverse is true.

You formulate incorrectly again.  Not being sold is a conclusion and without enough knowledge is faulty not strength. 

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

1998 huh...need some Metamucil grandpa?  :)

How do the Bills affect peoples' plumbing?

I think we've found a potentially entertaining poll question that hasn't been asked.:thumbsup:

At this point, I’m not really too interested in a rehash of the last two years..

The reality is that Beane and McD are driving this bus in 2019, and I believe expectations are high for this season..

They need to get a lot of things right in FA and the Draft, and I want to be optimistic at this point that they can accomplish this..

They have gone through the tear down...  this offseason we see whether they can build things back up..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Amazing how some people’s opinions change when someone says something nice about Buffalo..

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we've found a potentially entertaining poll question that hasn't been asked.:thumbsup:

If you really want to get to the bottom of that, we should bring in the world’s foremost expert on the topic, @plenzmd1

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

McDermott has gotten more results than Beane thus far.

I agree that McDermott, Frazier and Daboll have had better results, but I'm going to have to see what Beane can do now that he's dumped the overpaid players and has cap space to work with.

56 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

At this point, I’m not really too interested in a rehash of the last two years..

The reality is that Beane and McD are driving this bus in 2019, and I believe expectations are high for this season..

They need to get a lot of things right in FA and the Draft, and I want to be optimistic at this point that they can accomplish this..

They have gone through the tear down...  this offseason we see whether they can build things back up..

Too bad this isn't a better year for FA's on the offensive side of the ball. No doubt Beane will make at least 1 mistake -- All GM's do, but this will be quite a test for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

You do realize this is Beanes first full season as our GM, the 2018 Draft was his first as our GM, it's kind of hard to field a winning team roster made up of 17 seasons of failure for any GM in just 1 full season imo. To me he's done a decent job so far with what he's had to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone is aware it's Beane's first full season as GM.  They completely messed up the QB position last season and did not surround Allen with any steady weapons or some steady veteran leadership behind him.  This I feel hindered Allen's development.  While it is too early to really call him a failure it is also too early to say he has done a decent job.  Last season was painful to watch.  While I am optimistic they will do a good job by no means is it negative to look at the past mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You do realize this is Beanes first full season as our GM, the 2018 Draft was his first as our GM, it's kind of hard to field a winning team roster made up of 17 seasons of failure for any GM in just 1 full season imo. To me he's done a decent job so far with what he's had to work with.

I realize all of this. I was not particularly impressed with his FA signings last season. I do not like the WR's he's acquired as a whole. I'm not 100 percent sure about the draft, but both first rounders have big POTENTIAL and Johnson was a steal. He did an OUTSTANDING job finding gems like Wallace and Foster. I have still yet to see him field a solid roster, which is why I'm not "sold." 

25 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I agree that McDermott, Frazier and Daboll have had better results, but I'm going to have to see what Beane can do now that he's dumped the overpaid players and has cap space to work with.

That's pretty much where I'm at. It's a make or break offseason for Beane. You can't draft a QB number 7 and field a trash offense. He's got to make the right moves offensively. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 2

I realize all of this. I was not particularly impressed with his FA signings last season. I do not like the WR's he's acquired as a whole. I'm not 100 percent sure about the draft, but both first rounders have big POTENTIAL and Johnson was a steal. He did an OUTSTANDING job finding gems like Wallace and Foster. I have still yet to see him field a solid roster, which is why I'm not "sold." 

That's pretty much where I'm at. It's a make or break offseason for Beane. You can't draft a QB number 7 and field a trash offense. He's got to make the right moves offensively. We shall see.

Good points. It's just too bad that both the draft and the FA market favor defense when our greatest need is offense.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Or perhaps I am just comfortable with the reality either way.

It's a hobby and entertainment...........I want to understand why it is and what to expect and I can be objective about it.

You know how the great athletes say "embrace the suck"........well the realistic Bills should do that with the Bills if necessary........or you end up like our resident apologists dying a thousand deaths while they hope for luck and fate to intervene in Bills results.

As for my screen name............don't expose your still-wet-rodent from the BBMB sinking ship nature..........I've been posting here since 1998 and have had plenty of encouraging things to say when it's deserved👍.........there's just been this little "absence of success" thing.    Doesn't stop me from enjoying the game or the tailgating.:beer:

Unfortunately your know-it-all attitude removes much of the enjoyment from your discussion. If anyone doesn’t agree with you 100% you label them as an apologist or ridicule their opinion. That’s not fun. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Good points. It's just too bad that both the draft and the FA market favor defense when our greatest need is offense.

I think the draft is top heavy defensively, but relatively deep at WR and OL. We generally don't do well if FA'cy going after WR's, but there are tight ends and OL available. The guy I'd love to see them go after on the line is Brown from NE. A)He's got the kind of physicality we're looking for and B)NE will set a price and not match if we come with a better offer. A lot of the other guys are likely to re-sign with their current teams. The receivers are gonna have to come through the draft most likely.

Also wouldn't mind seeing them take a flier on a guy like Maxx Williams from Baltimore. I think he's better than his numbers indicate and Baltimore drafted Hurst. He's a very realistic option. Won't excite a whole lot of people, but these kind of additions can help the overall talent level.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

It would be super awesome if someone who groaned this post could rebut the statement that "McDermott has proven more than Beane thus far."

I mean, it seems like common sense. I'm truly puzzled.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Beane has done a LOT though, and I don’t think a lot of GMs could have accomplished what he has so fast.  He purged the wrong players out, traded players for draft assets that were more than anyone expected most of the time, found gems in free agency, had a great first draft, found the most exciting QB prospect we have had since Kelly was drafted, and most importantly simoultaneously cleaned up the entire cap a year faster than he thought it would take.

Honestly, he’s already light years better than any GM (or someone playing the role) since Polian.  

In less than 2 years he has fully reset this franchise and set it up with a strong defense full of young talent, got us ton of cap space, compiled extra draft picks, and secured Josh Allen.  We are setup for one of the most exciting off seasons in 20 years because of Beane IMO.

For me, he gets a grade of an A so far.  Now he’s graduated from cleaning house and resetting into building around the new foundation. He will be regraded with how he does with that, but I’m quite optimistic given how well he has done so far IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think they are both on the fence.

Both have done some very good things and glaringly bad things in their respective jobs and they've shown a willingness to correct obvious mistakes, which is encouraging.

Similar position to where Jauron was after his first season.......no balls, no babies though..........and after watching their slow build Vegas clearly thinks they have no balls and that's why they have the worst odds in the NFL to win the SB even though they are a 6 win team with no free agents and a ton of draft picks and cap room.:lol:

The narrative that they inherited a bad team or a team that required re-building isn't accurate though.............they made a choice to create a roster that would be naturally more amenable to a hard working, caring but mistake prone young HC.........patient, well paid vets with few options and try hards and rookies.   They even threw extra money at guys like McCoy and Wood to get them to help sell their process.     It wasn't an entirely organic "process". :lol:

Second worst, actually. One of about a half dozen teams at 100/1. Miami has the worst odds...in a cesspool built for one...at 300/1.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone has hits and misses. That’s just life. Some people are right more than others, another fact of life. I don’t hang on any one person to tell us where we stand. BUT, I do like to feel “the mood in the room” as a gauge of where we might be. It takes a while to turn the big ship, but when the general mood starts to swing as to our prospects, it’s a positive change. Then we have to reinforce that hopefulness with wins. 

The other end of the spectrum is the Cheaters*. They are almost always assumed to be a safe bet for the next SB (for FAR too long). Deservedly so.  It will take some time to change their expectations, but when half the crowd is saying just a chance to make the playoffs, that will be a happy day. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well played.  I like it. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane has done a LOT though, and I don’t think a lot of GMs could have accomplished what he has so fast.  He purged the wrong players out, traded players for draft assets that were more than anyone expected most of the time, found gems in free agency, had a great first draft, found the most exciting QB prospect we have had since Kelly was drafted, and most importantly simoultaneously cleaned up the entire cap a year faster than he thought it would take.

Honestly, he’s already light years better than any GM (or someone playing the role) since Polian.  

In less than 2 years he has fully reset this franchise and set it up with a strong defense full of young talent, got us ton of cap space, compiled extra draft picks, and secured Josh Allen.  We are setup for one of the most exciting off seasons in 20 years because of Beane IMO.

For me, he gets a grade of an A so far.  Now he’s graduated from cleaning house and resetting into building around the new foundation. He will be regraded with how he does with that, but I’m quite optimistic given how well he has done so far IMO.

Good post, although your outlook is obviously a bit sunnier than mine. I think we all agree this is going to be a pivotal offseason for Beane. He's got to significantly upgrade the offensive personnel. I'm not 100 percent sold on Allen either, but you damn well better get some pieces around a QB when you draft him number 7 overall.

After enduring the past 25 years with this franchise, I'm a wait and see kind of guy. I've seen real life results from McDermott. I question his approach at times, but I can honestly say he's maximized the talent on the roster. 

When I see Beane compile a competitive roster, I'll be sold. No sooner. No later.

• Like (+1) 3

Polian was a great GM. But now he’s about as credible as Stephen A Smith. So his flattery means nothing to me. 

...Bill has moved on to a new chapter ala AAF......wish him the best.....what has passed has done just that...passed.......no harm no foul.............

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Wait, weren’t people bashing the media that only predicted us to win 4 games and now we are praising the coaching staff for getting more than 4 wins from a roster without much talent? 

Yeah. I'm with you. I thought all the 3-4 win projections were silly. I thought we'd be a 6-7 win team and we were. But part of my opinion was because I knew McDermott would have the defense playing competitively regardless of who they had on the roster.

I think we're right on schedule.

5 hours ago, White Linen said:

You formulate incorrectly again.  Not being sold is a conclusion and without enough knowledge is faulty not strength. 

not being sold means that you don't yet have enough information...he has not come to a conclusion

• Awesome! (+1) 1