Bill Polian on Bills coaching and more....

PIZ

11 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

McDermott has gotten more results than Beane thus far.

Are you wrong about everything in your real life too?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane has done a LOT though, and I don’t think a lot of GMs could have accomplished what he has so fast.  He purged the wrong players out, traded players for draft assets that were more than anyone expected most of the time, found gems in free agency, had a great first draft, found the most exciting QB prospect we have had since Kelly was drafted, and most importantly simoultaneously cleaned up the entire cap a year faster than he thought it would take.

Honestly, he’s already light years better than any GM (or someone playing the role) since Polian.  

In less than 2 years he has fully reset this franchise and set it up with a strong defense full of young talent, got us ton of cap space, compiled extra draft picks, and secured Josh Allen.  We are setup for one of the most exciting off seasons in 20 years because of Beane IMO.

For me, he gets a grade of an A so far.  Now he’s graduated from cleaning house and resetting into building around the new foundation. He will be regraded with how he does with that, but I’m quite optimistic given how well he has done so far IMO.

I totally agree alpha, he purged this team of the fat, very few players I would want back (The only 2 that come to mind are CB Stephon Gilmore and WR Robert Woods), he swung and missed on WR Kelvin Benjamin, the jury is out on Trent Murphy, his injuries have made it hard to tell at this point but he attempted to land the pass rusher, I have no doubt in my mind unless we sign a guy like Trey Flowers or Demarcus Lawrence in FA that we'll go pass rusher at #9, it's almost a must imo.  This roster has a nice mix of veterans and young stars in the making. We have our QB it looks like now we need to progress him and surround him with a legit supporting cast and that begins first and foremost by protecting him from getting dead. OL and DL should be heavy priorities this offseason/Draft.

I think it's a stretch to say that McBeane is making the best of a bad situation.

They hired Juan Castillo, and fired Castillo, because our OLine is crap.

They hired Danny Crossman, and fired Crossman because out ST are crap.

They signed AJ McCarron, and traded MCarron, because he was not good.

They started the season with 2 untested QBs, Peterman and J Allen.

They replaced Peterman, because he was terrible.

They scrambled to replace Peterman, and brought in Derrick Anderson, a washed up QB.

Anderson was injured and they brought in Barkley. Now we have 2 veteran QB's to assist Allen. WTF ?

The 2018 team looked as undisciplined and as confused as it has for the past 15 years.

We haven't got any WR's who can catch the ball.

Josh Allen's game looks somewhat like Tyrod Taylor, "helter skelter"

Everybody talks about his big arm, but he's getting the yards on the ground, from broken plays.

Yes, we had a better draft last year than we've had in the past 5 years, but we lost most of our premier players to trades,

and retirement,  so we tried to replace them with Z Jones, K Benjamin, Bodine, and Ducasse.

The Las Vegas book makers say we are the last place team next year.

They put their money where their mouth is.

if you don't agree, take their bet and tell us how much money you made beating the experts next Christmas.

As bad as we are, if Bill Belichick took over the current roster, we'd be in the playoffs next year.

As good as the Patriots are right now, if McBeane took over the current Patriots roster right now, they'd be 6-10 next year.

Edited by B Fan in LA

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

Some serious valid points right there!

Lets hope Beane has a great offseason/draft. We may end up seeing something special.

2 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

The Las Vegas book makers say we are the last place team next year.

They put their money where their mouth is.

if you don't agree, take their bet and tell us how much money you made beating the experts next Christmas.

Can I get a bet on with these Las Vegas geniuses that the Bills won’t be the worst team in the NFL this season?

You don’t really think they will be right?

Edited by Aussie Joe

9 hours ago, The_Dude said:

And Polian stares that Lamar Jackson should be a WR so that he can have the ball in his hands more. Right, cause a WR has their hands on the ball more than a QB. 

Both said that btw because both QBs are black and so both just assumed nonsense. 

Or maybe you just assume nonsense Kap.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You do realize this is Beanes first full season as our GM, the 2018 Draft was his first as our GM, it's kind of hard to field a winning team roster made up of 17 seasons of failure for any GM in just 1 full season imo. To me he's done a decent job so far with what he's had to work with.

I think there was some bright spots in his draft class and un drafted players but free agency I give him a F. Beane wasted money on everyone he signed . Vontae, Star, Ivory, Murphy,  Gaines this possibly one of the worst free agency I ever seen the Bills have. 

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s so far off you have to think he did it for attention. Haskins not only never runs, he hates to run, and isn’t good at it. He threw for over 5000 yards and 50 TDs. He ran for 200 yards in ... his career. He’s a pocket passer, he’s never been a runner, and never will be. If Stephen A (who laughably claimed the “eye test” as his defense), had spent 5 seconds to look up Haskins stats or watched one series of him playing QB, he would have known what type of QB he was. The only time Haskins tried to run was when Urban was threatening to put in Tate Martell if he didn’t run his stupid zone read. Good times!  Stephen A needs to stick to basketball. 

Smith & others are why I only watch espn's live game telecasts - their stable of experts is anything but.

But you're 100% correct.  As a Bucs fan it was painful to watch Haskins "run" with the ball.  He had no desire or skill at it.  It must have given Meyer ulcers to see the "safe" rushing yardage Haskins would pass on in order to push the ball downfield through the air.  Did you see any QB ever run the read option with less enthusiasm?  I bet Peyton Manning after his injury could have done it better.

As an aside my biggest worry if I drafted Haskins would be his mobility in the pocket and his ability to buy time.  There's no doubt that when he is able to stand tall & still in the pocket he's a formidable passing QB, but under pressure?  That will be Haskins big test at the next level. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Hey it's nice when Polian give us the thumbs up.  Would we rather have him say the franchise is headed for doom with bad coaching, an inept front office and a bust at QB?  This is the off season and OPTIMISM is what you want.

Now with that being said, I ascribe very little to what old Bill has to say here other then it represents another small coin of optimism I choose to bank. 

22 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

You know, I think you’ve got a point. ?

To this point, Beane has given away more talent than he has accumulated...but this is mainly due to him only having 1 full offseason and being in the beginning stages of a rebuild...this will inevitably change as time goes on.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I am open to all points of view. I share mine. You share yours. I read positive takes, negative takes, and everything in between. I recognize that each individual is going to have an opinion. That's kind of the point of a message board.

As to your statement; It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A limited amount of knowledge is precisely why one would not be sold. 

When Beane fields a competitive roster, I will be sold. McDermott has already proven that he can take a bad roster to the playoffs and get 6 wins out of perhaps the worst roster in the league; which is why I have more confidence in McDermott than BB. I like results.

The oddity is that my post was more of a compliment to McDermott than a putdown of Beane. The consensus on the board appears to be that Beane is definitely the guy and McDermott may be the guy. I believe the reverse is true.

I thought you were being sarcastic. Surely you know that Beane spent 2018 flushing $50MM in dead cap? How competitive a roster were you expecting with $50MM less to spend?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought you were being sarcastic. Surely you know that Beane spent 2018 flushing $50MM is dead cap? How competitive a roster were you expecting with $50MM less to spend?

I wasn't expecting a competitive roster, but I'm also not convinced they needed to rid themselves of all the players they rid themselves of. 

I also understand that because they made this decision, they were going to be bad in 2019.

What I DON'T understand is why people are more confident in Beane than McDermott. Beane has proven he can destroy a roster. Now he has a CHANCE to rebuild it. His fate will be determined by Allen/Edmunds progress and this off season. I will believe in Beane when he fields a competitive roster.

McDermott has gotten a 5-11 roster to the playoffs. He guided a 3 win team to 6 wins. He has PROVEN something, whether you love his approach or not.

I don't have "faith" when it comes to the Bills. I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by LSHMEAB

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought you were being sarcastic. Surely you know that Beane spent 2018 flushing $50MM is dead cap? How competitive a roster were you expecting with $50MM less to spend?

Promo, you're not paying attention.  Flushing that dead cap money, while prudent, was a specific choice Beane made to purposefully set the Bills an entire year behind in the rebuilding process.  They could and should have drafted Mahomes, kept Watkins, Dareus, and Glenn, and kicked the can down the road because maybe Mahomes was going to be a great QB and they'd strike lightning.  But no, they (or at least McD since Beane wasn't around) weren't necessarily sold on Mahomes, felt Sammy and his boo-boo foot weren't reliable, viewed Dareus as a me-first player, traded Glenn and his multitude of injuries for draft position, and went about setting up a model for sustained success -- even if it meant taking a year longer than some would have preferred.

And in the meantime the team over-performed by making the playoffs in 2017, went and got their QB, and acquired a lot of young talent (particularly on defense) that could serve them well for the next 5-7 years.  And they created a fiscally responsible organization such that they can now afford to retain their own players when the time comes.

But no, they missed on some players and traded away some fan favorites, so they must be incompetent and have no idea how "winning" is done in the NFL.

Some real jokers we have running the show, don't you think?

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I wasn't expecting a competitive roster, but I'm also not convinced they needed to rid themselves of all the players they rid themselves of. 

I also understand that because they made this decision, they were going to be bad in 2019.

What I DON'T understand is why people are more confident in Beane than McDermott. Beane has proven he can destroy a roster. Now he has a CHANCE to rebuild it. His fate will be determined by Allen/Edmunds progress and this off season. I will believe in Beane when he fields a competitive roster.

McDermott has gotten a 5-11 roster to the playoffs. He guided a 3 win team to 6 wins. He has PROVEN something, whether you love his approach or not.

I don't have "faith" when it comes to the Bills. I'll believe it when I see it.

Personally I think it's a lazy way to judge a team. When they win the Super Bowl you'll get on the bandwagon? That's bold.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Personally I think it's a lazy way to judge a team. When they win the Super Bowl you'll get on the bandwagon? That's bold.

There was recently a "confidence meter" poll on TBD and more people were confident in Beane than McDermott.

That seemed odd as McDermott has guided a below average team to the playoffs and eked 6 wins out of the perhaps the worst roster in the league. Those are RESULTS. The Polian comments once again made me question the results of that poll. You have a coach who's gotten everything out of bad rosters and a GM yet to prove much.

Of course Beane has an opportunity to nail this offseason, but I haven't seen it yet. Seems like a relatively simple concept. 

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Keep in mind he LOVED him some Dick Jauron.

He encouraged Marv to hire Jauron to replace Mularkey(after Ralph refused to re-hire Marv himself)..........and Polian declared that he'd have hired Jauron for the Colts..........ya' know.........if Tony Dungy hadn't been available.:flirt:

Polian's takes have been pretty irrelevant/bad since the early 2000's IMO............as disappointing as it was that he couldn't finish the defense in Buffalo its even more amazing that he only won 1 SB with Peyton Manning.  

Well, FWIW in hindsight, ol' "it's hard to win in the NFL" Skeletor did probably know something as a coach...given the results when Nix and Gailey took over, he arguably "did more with less" than anyone, especially on defense.

Now, whether he could have been a winning coach with a good roster can't tell.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, FWIW in hindsight, ol' "it's hard to win in the NFL" Skeletor did probably know something as a coach...given the results when Nix and Gailey took over, he arguably "did more with less" than anyone, especially on defense.

Now, whether he could have been a winning coach with a good roster can't tell.

LOL let's no try to re-color Dick Jauron.:lol:

It doesn't take much of a coach or roster to play not to lose and win 7 games............more games are lost than won in the NFL.

In general though..........no trajectory........no improvement.

Few.......quality roster or otherwise....... have been able to take that approach to the next level..........and to do so you gotta' be able to handle yourself at an ELITE LEVEL as a game planner and on the sideline on game day.

And Dick Jauron.........for all of his Ivy League educated background........was a slow blinker in the heat of the moment.     There were tons of comical examples of this from his time in Chicago even BEFORE the Bills hired him.........but none more typified his ineptitude than the handling of the epic last minute Monday night debacle versus Dallas. ?

I have never laughed so hard in my life........the combination of Jauron's incredibly predictable buffoonery and the thousands of incensed fans going ape-***** crazy around me was a moment of Bills fandom I will forever cherish.:lol:

Edited by BADOLBILZ

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have never laughed so hard in my life........the combination of Jauron's incredibly predictable buffoonery and the thousands of incensed fans going ape-***** crazy around me was a moment of Bills fandom I will forever cherish.:lol:

I remember that sequence VIVIDLY and I was most incensed by Folk banging a 55 yarder like it was a chip shot. "Why do the Bills never catch any breaks?"

The older I get, the more I look at what the Bills have done wrong to open the door. I'll take your Parcells quote and raise you a Branch Rickey. "Luck is the residue of design."

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

LOL let's no try to re-color Dick Jauron.:lol:

It doesn't take much of a coach or roster to play not to lose and win 7 games............more games are lost than won in the NFL.

In general though..........no trajectory........no improvement.

Few.......quality roster or otherwise....... have been able to take that approach to the next level..........and to do so you gotta' be able to handle yourself at an ELITE LEVEL as a game planner and on the sideline on game day.

And Dick Jauron.........for all of his Ivy League educated background........was a slow blinker in the heat of the moment.     There were tons of comical examples of this from his time in Chicago even BEFORE the Bills hired him.........but none more typified his ineptitude than the handling of the epic last minute Monday night debacle versus Dallas. ?

....LMAO....."Dopey Dickie Jauron".....Tasker called his smallish, speedy defense, "like bugs on a windshield"..........His pressers made a wake look like Mardi Gras.........nauseating a hell to rehash the "Decade+ of Despair" with "F Troop" running the show post Polian era....

On 2/9/2019 at 11:55 AM, matter2003 said:

I'm not sure how anyone could say winning 15 games over the past 2 years with the roster we have had is anything short of unbeliebvable...Hue jackson would have been 0-32.

Review Dick Jauron’s rosters and his record. 

Polian is the best GM in franchise history but the game has passed him by a long time ago.  See the last NFL team he worked with.  

17 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Screamin' A. Smith is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with ESPN and why it's unwatchable and complete trash outside of live sporting events and some '30 for 30's.

He’s actually pretty good in sports he is well versed in like basketball and Soccer.  The guy has a crazy work ethic and seems like he works 24 hours a day.  But his football takes are terrible.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:59 AM, LSHMEAB said:

Beane = McDermott