Bill Polian on Bills coaching and more....

PIZ

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

McDermott has gotten more results than Beane thus far.

It would be super awesome if someone who groaned this post could rebut the statement that "McDermott has proven more than Beane thus far."

I mean, it seems like common sense. I'm truly puzzled.

• Like (+1) 1

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

Beane has done a LOT though, and I don’t think a lot of GMs could have accomplished what he has so fast.  He purged the wrong players out, traded players for draft assets that were more than anyone expected most of the time, found gems in free agency, had a great first draft, found the most exciting QB prospect we have had since Kelly was drafted, and most importantly simoultaneously cleaned up the entire cap a year faster than he thought it would take.

Honestly, he’s already light years better than any GM (or someone playing the role) since Polian.  

In less than 2 years he has fully reset this franchise and set it up with a strong defense full of young talent, got us ton of cap space, compiled extra draft picks, and secured Josh Allen.  We are setup for one of the most exciting off seasons in 20 years because of Beane IMO.

For me, he gets a grade of an A so far.  Now he’s graduated from cleaning house and resetting into building around the new foundation. He will be regraded with how he does with that, but I’m quite optimistic given how well he has done so far IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think they are both on the fence.

Both have done some very good things and glaringly bad things in their respective jobs and they've shown a willingness to correct obvious mistakes, which is encouraging.

Similar position to where Jauron was after his first season.......no balls, no babies though..........and after watching their slow build Vegas clearly thinks they have no balls and that's why they have the worst odds in the NFL to win the SB even though they are a 6 win team with no free agents and a ton of draft picks and cap room.:lol:

The narrative that they inherited a bad team or a team that required re-building isn't accurate though.............they made a choice to create a roster that would be naturally more amenable to a hard working, caring but mistake prone young HC.........patient, well paid vets with few options and try hards and rookies.   They even threw extra money at guys like McCoy and Wood to get them to help sell their process.     It wasn't an entirely organic "process". :lol:

Second worst, actually. One of about a half dozen teams at 100/1. Miami has the worst odds...in a cesspool built for one...at 300/1.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone has hits and misses. That’s just life. Some people are right more than others, another fact of life. I don’t hang on any one person to tell us where we stand. BUT, I do like to feel “the mood in the room” as a gauge of where we might be. It takes a while to turn the big ship, but when the general mood starts to swing as to our prospects, it’s a positive change. Then we have to reinforce that hopefulness with wins. 

The other end of the spectrum is the Cheaters*. They are almost always assumed to be a safe bet for the next SB (for FAR too long). Deservedly so.  It will take some time to change their expectations, but when half the crowd is saying just a chance to make the playoffs, that will be a happy day. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane has done a LOT though, and I don’t think a lot of GMs could have accomplished what he has so fast.  He purged the wrong players out, traded players for draft assets that were more than anyone expected most of the time, found gems in free agency, had a great first draft, found the most exciting QB prospect we have had since Kelly was drafted, and most importantly simoultaneously cleaned up the entire cap a year faster than he thought it would take.

Honestly, he’s already light years better than any GM (or someone playing the role) since Polian.  

In less than 2 years he has fully reset this franchise and set it up with a strong defense full of young talent, got us ton of cap space, compiled extra draft picks, and secured Josh Allen.  We are setup for one of the most exciting off seasons in 20 years because of Beane IMO.

For me, he gets a grade of an A so far.  Now he’s graduated from cleaning house and resetting into building around the new foundation. He will be regraded with how he does with that, but I’m quite optimistic given how well he has done so far IMO.

Good post, although your outlook is obviously a bit sunnier than mine. I think we all agree this is going to be a pivotal offseason for Beane. He's got to significantly upgrade the offensive personnel. I'm not 100 percent sold on Allen either, but you damn well better get some pieces around a QB when you draft him number 7 overall.

After enduring the past 25 years with this franchise, I'm a wait and see kind of guy. I've seen real life results from McDermott. I question his approach at times, but I can honestly say he's maximized the talent on the roster. 

When I see Beane compile a competitive roster, I'll be sold. No sooner. No later.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Wait, weren’t people bashing the media that only predicted us to win 4 games and now we are praising the coaching staff for getting more than 4 wins from a roster without much talent? 

Yeah. I'm with you. I thought all the 3-4 win projections were silly. I thought we'd be a 6-7 win team and we were. But part of my opinion was because I knew McDermott would have the defense playing competitively regardless of who they had on the roster.

I think we're right on schedule.

38 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Polian was a great GM. But now he’s about as credible as Stephen A Smith. So his flattery means nothing to me. 

Not even close. Stephen A. just claimed yesterday that Dwayne Haskins was a running QB, and then doubled down on that. The fact he’s still employed today is incredulous. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not even close. Stephen A. just claimed yesterday that Dwayne Haskins was a running QB, and then doubled down on that. The fact he’s still employed today is incredulous. 

Screamin' A. Smith is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with ESPN and why it's unwatchable and complete trash outside of live sporting events and some '30 for 30's.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And Polian stares that Lamar Jackson should be a WR so that he can have the ball in his hands more. Right, cause a WR has their hands on the ball more than a QB. 

Both said that btw because both QBs are black and so both just assumed nonsense. 

22 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

And Polian stares that Lamar Jackson should be a WR so that he can have the ball in his hands more. Right, cause a WR has their hands on the ball more than a QB. 

Both said that btw because both QBs are black and so both just assumed nonsense. 

It’s so far off you have to think he did it for attention. Haskins not only never runs, he hates to run, and isn’t good at it. He threw for over 5000 yards and 50 TDs. He ran for 200 yards in ... his career. He’s a pocket passer, he’s never been a runner, and never will be. If Stephen A (who laughably claimed the “eye test” as his defense), had spent 5 seconds to look up Haskins stats or watched one series of him playing QB, he would have known what type of QB he was. The only time Haskins tried to run was when Urban was threatening to put in Tate Martell if he didn’t run his stupid zone read. Good times!  Stephen A needs to stick to basketball. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Now I'm confused.

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Now I'm confused.

What I was trying, unsuccessfully based on the reactions, to say is that I have more confidence in McDermott than I do Beane. The prevailing wisdom on this board is that the two are interchangeable or even that Beane is more competent than McDermott. My view is that McDermott has proven more as a HC than Beane has as a GM. It was a direct response to Polian's comment stating that the coaching has lead the team to more wins than the talent would seem to warrant. It was a compliment to McD sprinkled in with some skepticism as to whether Beane will get it done. This offseason will be telling.

Apparently this is an outlandish supposition. Meh. What can ya do? I call it like I see it.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s so far off you have to think he did it for attention. Haskins not only never runs, he hates to run, and isn’t good at it. He threw for over 5000 yards and 50 TDs. He ran for 200 yards in ... his career. He’s a pocket passer, he’s never been a runner, and never will be. If Stephen A (who laughably claimed the “eye test” as his defense), had spent 5 seconds to look up Haskins stats or watched one series of him playing QB, he would have known what type of QB he was. The only time Haskins tried to run was when Urban was threatening to put in Tate Martell if he didn’t run his stupid zone read. Good times!  Stephen A needs to stick to basketball. 

Oh I know. That’s why I compared Polian to him. They both say ridiculous things because neither do their homework. 

Good post, although your outlook is obviously a bit sunnier than mine. I think we all agree this is going to be a pivotal offseason for Beane. He's got to significantly upgrade the offensive personnel. I'm not 100 percent sold on Allen either, but you damn well better get some pieces around a QB when you draft him number 7 overall.

After enduring the past 25 years with this franchise, I'm a wait and see kind of guy. I've seen real life results from McDermott. I question his approach at times, but I can honestly say he's maximized the talent on the roster. 

When I see Beane compile a competitive roster, I'll be sold. No sooner. No later.

All fair points and fair outlook.  And yeah, McD to me has done an outstanding job overall.  No one is ever gonna be perfect with every decision, but the overall body of work has me convinced that McD is the right coach for this team, is one of the best young coaches in the NFL, and he will be here a long time.  Can’t wait to see this team next year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1