Bill Polian on Bills coaching and more....

PIZ

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Keep in mind he LOVED him some Dick Jauron.

He encouraged Marv to hire Jauron to replace Mularkey(after Ralph refused to re-hire Marv himself)..........and Polian declared that he'd have hired Jauron for the Colts..........ya' know.........if Tony Dungy hadn't been available.:flirt:

Polian's takes have been pretty irrelevant/bad since the early 2000's IMO............as disappointing as it was that he couldn't finish the defense in Buffalo its even more amazing that he only won 1 SB with Peyton Manning.   

More sage wisdom from the guy who likes being pessimistic about the Bills so much that his screen name is "BADOLBILZ". Thanks for all you do, bud!

source.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Well, he was GM when the team made the playoffs.  That was kind of a big deal.  What’s your definition of a “competitive roster” Trolly McTrollenstein?

Cool nickname bro. And I've been told a million times on this very board that Beane had nothing to do with the 2017 roster. Was that true?

I swear we have to be the softest fanbase in the history of mankind. I say I believe in the coach, but I'm not sold on the GM. That elicits this kind of response? Holy smokes.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 points:

1. It was THEIR decision to start Peterman and trade for Benjamin. They shouldn't get credit for having a bad roster, they should get blamed. They could've easily went into the year with Anderson and Barkley. Not Peterman. 

2. In what world do we give credit to a team for posting up a losing season? This is NFL football. Second year HC's win, even make Superbowls. I understand every situation is different but there were SEVERAL boneheaded decisions made.

3. Polian is a GM of old. He absolutely squandered anything he touched, beyond drafting Manning #1 overall, and his opinions on most things football have been wildly incorrect lately. Remember, this guy LOVED Manziel...

I'm not a homer so people will automatically disagree or deny anything I say so here is a link outlining Polian's decade of absolute and utter failure. With Jim Kelly and Peyton freaking Manning, the guy got ONE Superbowl win.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1007781-jim-irsay-fired-bill-chris-polian-for-bad-decade-of-drafting#slide0

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Cool nickname bro. And I've been told a million times on this very board that Beane had nothing to do with the 2017 roster. Was that true?

I swear we have to be the softest fanbase in the history of mankind. I say I believe in the coach, but I'm not sold on the GM. That elicits this kind of response? Holy smokes.

I don't think we're soft - I just think we get frustrated with people like you.  You take these hard stances and you as quick as anyone can't handle debate.  There are no other points of view, except yours.   You're actually the soft one but you can't see it.  

There's no way you can have enough knowledge to say you're not sold on the GM.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

More sage wisdom from the guy who likes being pessimistic about the Bills so much that his screen name is "BADOLBILZ". Thanks for all you do, bud!

Or perhaps I am just comfortable with the reality either way.

It's a hobby and entertainment...........I want to understand why it is and what to expect and I can be objective about it.

You know how the great athletes say "embrace the suck"........well the realistic Bills should do that with the Bills if necessary........or you end up like our resident apologists dying a thousand deaths while they hope for luck and fate to intervene in Bills results.

As for my screen name............don't expose your still-wet-rodent from the BBMB sinking ship nature..........I've been posting here since 1998 and have had plenty of encouraging things to say when it's deserved?.........there's just been this little "absence of success" thing.    Doesn't stop me from enjoying the game or the tailgating.:beer:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I don't think we're soft - I just think we get frustrated with people like you.  You take these hard stances and you as quick as anyone can't handle debate.  There are no other points of view, except yours.   You're actually the soft one but you can't see it.  

....GREAT call bud....soft?...seriously?......resilient in support?....who is better?.....those with a continual axe to grind should always wear safety glasses to protect their vision....Jesus, soft?........

2 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I am open to all points of view. I share mine. You share yours. I read positive takes, negative takes, and everything in between. I recognize that each individual is going to have an opinion. That's kind of the point of a message board.

As to your statement; It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A limited amount of knowledge is precisely why one would not be sold. 

When Beane fields a competitive roster, I will be sold. McDermott has already proven that he can take a bad roster to the playoffs and get 6 wins out of perhaps the worst roster in the league; which is why I have more confidence in McDermott than BB. I like results.

The oddity is that my post was more of a compliment to McDermott than a putdown of Beane. The consensus on the board appears to be that Beane is definitely the guy and McDermott may be the guy. I believe the reverse is true.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a hobby and entertainment...........I want to understand why it is and what to expect and I can be objective about it.

You know how the great athletes say "embrace the suck"........well the realistic Bills should do that with the Bills if necessary........or you end up like our resident apologists dying a thousand deaths while they hope for luck and fate to intervene in Bills results.

As for my screen name............don't expose your still-wet-rodent from the BBMB sinking ship nature..........I've been posting here since 1998 and have had plenty of encouraging things to say when it's deserved?.........there's just been this little "absence of success" thing.    Doesn't stop me from enjoying the game or the tailgating.:beer:

1998 huh...need some Metamucil grandpa?  :)

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I am open to all points of view. I share mine. You share yours. I read positive takes, negative takes, and everything in between. I recognize that each individual is going to have an opinion. That's kind of the point of a message board.

As to your statement; It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A limited amount of knowledge is precisely why one would not be sold. 

When Beane fields a competitive roster, I will be sold. McDermott has already proven that he can take a bad roster to the playoffs and get 6 wins out of perhaps the worst roster in the league; which is why I have more confidence in McDermott than BB. I like results.

The oddity is that my post was more of a compliment to McDermott than a putdown of Beane. The consensus on the board appears to be that Beane is definitely the guy and McDermott may be the guy. I believe the reverse is true.

You formulate incorrectly again.  Not being sold is a conclusion and without enough knowledge is faulty not strength. 

At this point, I’m not really too interested in a rehash of the last two years..

The reality is that Beane and McD are driving this bus in 2019, and I believe expectations are high for this season..

They need to get a lot of things right in FA and the Draft, and I want to be optimistic at this point that they can accomplish this..

They have gone through the tear down...  this offseason we see whether they can build things back up..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How do the Bills affect peoples' plumbing?

I think we've found a potentially entertaining poll question that hasn't been asked.:thumbsup:

If you really want to get to the bottom of that, we should bring in the world’s foremost expert on the topic, @plenzmd1

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

McDermott has gotten more results than Beane thus far.

I agree that McDermott, Frazier and Daboll have had better results, but I'm going to have to see what Beane can do now that he's dumped the overpaid players and has cap space to work with.

56 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

At this point, I’m not really too interested in a rehash of the last two years..

The reality is that Beane and McD are driving this bus in 2019, and I believe expectations are high for this season..

They need to get a lot of things right in FA and the Draft, and I want to be optimistic at this point that they can accomplish this..

They have gone through the tear down...  this offseason we see whether they can build things back up..

Too bad this isn't a better year for FA's on the offensive side of the ball. No doubt Beane will make at least 1 mistake -- All GM's do, but this will be quite a test for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

This is why I'm confused as to why people are more sold on Beane than McDermott.

Teardown/reconstruction/whatever; Beane has yet to put together a competitive roster whereas McDermott has done a fine job with crap rosters. 

McDermott has gotten more results than Beane thus far.

You do realize this is Beanes first full season as our GM, the 2018 Draft was his first as our GM, it's kind of hard to field a winning team roster made up of 17 seasons of failure for any GM in just 1 full season imo. To me he's done a decent job so far with what he's had to work with.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone is aware it's Beane's first full season as GM.  They completely messed up the QB position last season and did not surround Allen with any steady weapons or some steady veteran leadership behind him.  This I feel hindered Allen's development.  While it is too early to really call him a failure it is also too early to say he has done a decent job.  Last season was painful to watch.  While I am optimistic they will do a good job by no means is it negative to look at the past mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You do realize this is Beanes first full season as our GM, the 2018 Draft was his first as our GM, it's kind of hard to field a winning team roster made up of 17 seasons of failure for any GM in just 1 full season imo. To me he's done a decent job so far with what he's had to work with.

I realize all of this. I was not particularly impressed with his FA signings last season. I do not like the WR's he's acquired as a whole. I'm not 100 percent sure about the draft, but both first rounders have big POTENTIAL and Johnson was a steal. He did an OUTSTANDING job finding gems like Wallace and Foster. I have still yet to see him field a solid roster, which is why I'm not "sold." 

25 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I agree that McDermott, Frazier and Daboll have had better results, but I'm going to have to see what Beane can do now that he's dumped the overpaid players and has cap space to work with.

That's pretty much where I'm at. It's a make or break offseason for Beane. You can't draft a QB number 7 and field a trash offense. He's got to make the right moves offensively. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 2

I realize all of this. I was not particularly impressed with his FA signings last season. I do not like the WR's he's acquired as a whole. I'm not 100 percent sure about the draft, but both first rounders have big POTENTIAL and Johnson was a steal. He did an OUTSTANDING job finding gems like Wallace and Foster. I have still yet to see him field a solid roster, which is why I'm not "sold." 

That's pretty much where I'm at. It's a make or break offseason for Beane. You can't draft a QB number 7 and field a trash offense. He's got to make the right moves offensively. We shall see.

Good points. It's just too bad that both the draft and the FA market favor defense when our greatest need is offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Unfortunately your know-it-all attitude removes much of the enjoyment from your discussion. If anyone doesn’t agree with you 100% you label them as an apologist or ridicule their opinion. That’s not fun. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Good points. It's just too bad that both the draft and the FA market favor defense when our greatest need is offense.

I think the draft is top heavy defensively, but relatively deep at WR and OL. We generally don't do well if FA'cy going after WR's, but there are tight ends and OL available. The guy I'd love to see them go after on the line is Brown from NE. A)He's got the kind of physicality we're looking for and B)NE will set a price and not match if we come with a better offer. A lot of the other guys are likely to re-sign with their current teams. The receivers are gonna have to come through the draft most likely.

Also wouldn't mind seeing them take a flier on a guy like Maxx Williams from Baltimore. I think he's better than his numbers indicate and Baltimore drafted Hurst. He's a very realistic option. Won't excite a whole lot of people, but these kind of additions can help the overall talent level.

• Like (+1) 1