Adam Gase: Family Drama - Wont be the Jets without some drama

On 2/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, JohnnyGold said:

I'm at the age where I genuinely don't dislike other teams, including divisional rivals. I don't want to see guys get hurt, and love watching a good game, regardless of who's on the field. I can truthfully say that if the Bills are playing the Jets, and the Jets win, the loss doesn't emotionally impact me in any way, shape or form, and if they make some good plays along the way, I can appreciate the skills on display from the opposing team. I recognize that view is in the minority on this site, but this is a site for Bills fanatics, so I don't expect anyone to agree with that luke-warm take. I also think Brady and Beli are the GOATS, and was actively rooting for them to win another super bowl from whenever it was that Buffalo was eliminated from playoff contention--somewhere around week 10 if I remember correctly, lol.

With that being said, from your user name, to your posting style, to the fact that you're on a division rivals message board, you seem to be the antithesis of that frame of mind, and are here purely to antagonize other people with your words. If I was a mod, I would ban your IP address from this site, because I can't imagine you contributing anything of value to any coversation that takes place on here. If that's not the case, then I apologize, but are you truthfully saying that you can't see any potential for disaster with the interpersonal dynamics of the leadership team that the Jets have employed? 

You tell me that you’d ban me if you could and then apologize in advance if I’m a decent poster while at the same time insinuating that I’m a troll. Sheesh, talk about passive aggressive. I have nothing against the Bills tbh. I wouldn’t be here if I did. I don’t have Dolphin and Patriots accounts. I think a lot of you guys are cool people..with the exception of a few and I love talking football. All of my posts here have been well thought out, level headed and strictly on the topic of football. I just found it amusing that you guys always have a thread about us lingering around the main page lol...it’s cool though. 

Anyway, to answer your question. 

Vitt is Gase’s father in law.. 

I'm sure Gase knew he was going to want Vitt on his staff before the decision to hire Williams was made and I'm sure all of this was hashed through with both Williams and Vitt before Williams was hired. It's a good story for the writers in February, but if the Jets weren't confident that the old animosity between the two was squashed, one of them likely wouldn't be here. as far as Blake, the incident at with Rams is one that is well documented and while there was a small debate on whether or not Gase would hire him..you’d have to imagine, naturally, Gase and Williams spoke on the issue and Williams assured that he would keep his son in line. Gase isn’t letting something like that hinder his second chance as a HC.

rival fans are hoping the Jets moves sink and fail. That’s natural. We all want to be in 1st place and neither of our teams have done that in a long time. There’s a lot of competitiveness and hunger there. Of course you all think it’s going to crash — because you want it to. You could also take what I am saying as small balling the situation because I have hope in the move. I’m not a guy who wanted Gase to begin with but with further observation and thought — its not a half bad idea. Gase’s System works on QB’s being able to make pre-snap and post-snap reads. Ryan Tannehill was not good at this. Sam Darnold is already very good at this. They will mesh. The Rams incorporated a similar style of coaching where they hired a pure offensive guy and got a guy who knows DC so well that he can basically be the Head Coach of the Defense while McVay can do what he does best and focus on offense...and is what you are seeing here with Gase and Williams.

is the plan bulletproof? Hell no. But it’s not going to “inevitably” sink like Bills fans presume. We’ll see how it goes.

Edited by Patriot Killa

On 2/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, FLFan said:

Why only a small part?  I am all the way hoping it will implode.  That outcome is highly likely with Gase at he helm and his already questionable leadership, and Gregggggggggggggggggggg Williams in the fold with his propensity for selfishness and drama.  Get your popcorn ready New York.  I am sure the local media will have their knives at the ready.  

Fixed. 

I watched the Gase hire and the subsequent Williams and Vitt hires with a head-shaking "they can't really be going this route" amusement.

I realize that no one really knows how anything will work out in the NFL, and maybe this WILL turn out to be a great hire for the Jets, but....boy, I really don't see it.

Gase, to me, did not seem very good at running a team when he was the Dolphins' HC. Him venting publicly about lack of effort, his players venting publicly about wanting to get out of Miami...it just seemed like a mess. Add that to the fact that the ON-FIELD product was never more than mediocre, and was often much worse than that. Various players/coaches admitted at the end of the year that the Dolphins just never had an identity on offense.

So the Jets need to rebuild from scratch, and how do they choose to do it? By keeping the same GM who, thus far, hasn't been very good, and then allowing him to hire as head coach a man who was just fired by your comparably unsuccessful division rivals. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

I see this one ending very badly for the Jets. Dysfunction, mediocrity, wasted time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

You tell me that you’d ban me if you could and then apologize in advance if I’m a decent poster while at the same time insinuating that I’m a troll. Sheesh, talk about passive aggressive. I have nothing against the Bills tbh. I wouldn’t be here if I did. I don’t have Dolphin and Patriots accounts. I think a lot of you guys are cool people..with the exception of a few and I love talking football. All of my posts here have been well thought out, level headed and strictly on the topic of football. I just found it amusing that you guys always have a thread about us lingering around the main page lol...it’s cool though. 

Anyway, to answer your question. 

Vitt is Gase’s father in law.. 

I'm sure Gase knew he was going to want Vitt on his staff before the decision to hire Williams was made and I'm sure all of this was hashed through with both Williams and Vitt before Williams was hired. It's a good story for the writers in February, but if the Jets weren't confident that the old animosity between the two was squashed, one of them likely wouldn't be here. as far as Blake, the incident at with Rams is one that is well documented and while there was a small debate on whether or not Gase would hire him..you’d have to imagine, naturally, Gase and Williams spoke on the issue and Williams assured that he would keep his son in line. Gase isn’t letting something like that hinder his second chance as a HC.

rival fans are hoping the Jets moves sink and fail. That’s natural. We all want to be in 1st place and neither of our teams have done that in a long time. There’s a lot of competitiveness and hunger there. Of course you all think it’s going to crash — because you want it to. You could also take what I am saying as small balling the situation because I have hope in the move. I’m not a guy who wanted Gase to begin with but with further observation and thought — its not a half bad idea. Gase’s System works on QB’s being able to make pre-snap and post-snap reads. Ryan Tannehill was not good at this. Sam Darnold is already very good at this. They will mesh. The Rams incorporated a similar style of coaching where they hired a pure offensive guy and got a guy who knows DC so well that he can basically be the Head Coach of the Defense while McVay can do what he does best and focus on offense...and is what you are seeing here with Gase and Williams.

is the plan bulletproof? Hell no. But it’s not going to “inevitably” sink like Bills fans presume. We’ll see how it goes.

My issue with Williams - aside from being a thorough a-hole -- is that he is ridiculously overrated as a defensive coach. The results over 20 seasons:

Yards allowed - finished in the top half 8 times, and in the bottom half 12 times. Mean finish: 15.5. Median finish: 17th. 

Points allowed - finished in the top half 12 times and in the bottom half 8 times.  Mean finish: 16th. Median finish: 14.5.  

Takeaways forced: finished in the top half 8 times and the bottom half 12 times. Mean finish: 20th. Median Finish: 22.5. 4 last place (32nd) finishes and 2 second last place finishes (31st).

Top ten finishes:

Pts: 5 out of 20 seasons

Yds: 7 out of 20 seasons

Takeaways: 5 out of 20 seasons

Bottom 10 finishes:
Pts: 5 out of 20 seasons
Yds:  6 out of 20 seasons

Takeaways: 9 out of 20 seasons

Basically, he's the very definition of mediocrity.

Edited by dave mcbride

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My issue with Williams - aside from being a thorough a-hole -- is that he is ridiculously overrated as a defensive coach. The results over 20 seasons:

Yards allowed - finished in the top half 8 times, and in the bottom half 12 times. Mean finish: 15.5. Median finish: 17th. 

Points allowed - finished in the top half 12 times and in the bottom half 8 times.  Mean finish: 16th. Median finish: 14.5.  

Takeaways forced: finished in the top half 8 times and the bottom half 12 times. Mean finish: 20th. Median Finish: 22.5. 4 last place (32nd) finishes and 2 second last place finishes (31st).

Top ten finishes:

Pts: 5 out of 20 seasons

Yds: 7 out of 20 seasons

Takeaways: 5 out of 20 seasons

Bottom 10 finishes:
Pts: 5 out of 20 seasons
Yds:  6 out of 20 seasons

Takeaways: 9 out of 20 seasons

Basically, he's the very definition of mediocrity.

I think he can get the most out of the players. Bowles was very complacent and let players take plays off. There will at least be accountability and I think that holds value in itself. He’s very aggressive and he gets burned sometimes. He’s from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree. It’s not a big surprise he had more success in takeaways than any other major statistical category. No one is saying he is the greatest but i’m very happy with the signing as of today when I look at who was available.

Edited by Patriot Killa

34 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think he can get the most out of the players. Bowles was very complacent and let players take plays off. There will at least be accountability and I think that holds value in itself. He’s very aggressive and he gets burned sometimes. He’s from the Buddy Ryan coaching tree. It’s not a big surprise he had more success in takeaways than any other major statistical category. No one is saying he is the greatest but i’m very happy with the signing as of today when I look at who was available.

No, read again - he's been terrible in the takeaways category historically. 4 of his defenses finished 32nd in takeaways forced and 2 others finished 31st.  Basically, the Jets hired Captain Queeg. We've lived through it and know what he's like. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/9/2019 at 6:13 PM, WideNine said:

That motley staff reminds me of the first dinner my wife tried to make me when we were just dating.

Instant scalloped potatoes, tuna fish, water chestnuts, and marinara sauce - horrifying. I didn't even try to fake that I liked it...I gagged and scraped my tongue off with a fork like a 2 year old. Some things are never meant to be brought together.

If you do all the cooking now I would say her plan worked to perfection.

54 minutes ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

If you do all the cooking now I would say her plan worked to perfection.

Pretty much...both my parents did shift work when I was a kid so I had to learn how to cook for myself and kid sister.

The wife got better over the years...with plenty of trial and error so we share the kitchen duties now.

19 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

No, read again - he's been terrible in the takeaways category historically. 4 of his defenses finished 32nd in takeaways forced and 2 others finished 31st.  Basically, the Jets hired Captain Queeg. We've lived through it and know what he's like. 

I like the hire. Not really worried about the past. Not really worried about any of that. Let’s see Josh Allen pass against our defense and then we’ll have this same convo. I’ll look for you when that happens.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

You pick at number 3, how in the heck can you screw up the draft process??

They have a bad roster and are fighting over which side of the call to take the premium talent is my guess. Don’t forget Gregg is the “HC of the Defense” so he’s trying to wield his power too

Edited by YoloinOhio