Sign in to follow this  
RocCityRoller

Jachai Polite - your new edge?

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

“High motor” is overrated.  “Lunch pail guy” and “quick first step” are what you want to hear to describe pass rushers.

Please don't ever use the term lunch pail again. Did we not learn from the mediocrity of Chris Kelsay.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

Arron Maybin had a really high motor, how'd that work out?

Yes Weed whacker motors run at high rpms.  He had a quick first step if IIRC.

LMAO, draftscout has him listed as a former 1st round pick of the Jets.  They can have credit for that one.  It says it in the player news.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

11 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Good player...

Dont think he will be the pick at 9 though..

15 maybe..

Not to single you out but I'll never understand this suggestion that gets said every year.  If you're good enough to be drafted at 15 - you're good enough to be drafted 9th.  

24 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Not to single you out but I'll never understand this suggestion that gets said every year.  If you're good enough to be drafted at 15 - you're good enough to be drafted 9th.  

You don’t understand that there is a better player available after only 8 guys are off the board?

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Please don't ever use the term lunch pail again. Did we not learn from the mediocrity of Chris Kelsay.

Chris Kelsay had a good career.  It is a shame that he is so maligned by some here.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Chris Kelsay had a good career.  It is a shame that he is so maligned by some here.

He was a below average player at the most important defensive position who got paid like he was rock solid. It's not that he was terrible. It's that he should have been strictly a rotational guy. He's very emblematic of the Bills mediocrity over the last 20 years.

We need to trade back and pick up an addition 1st or 2nd round picks. 

At 2:07 in the video....he forces the fumble....... Then wants to celebrate while the ball is still rolling around on the turf waiting to be recovered.  It makes me seethe when defensive players dont have the awareness to finish a play so they can celebrate.  Call it low awareness, call it selfish, whatever you call it, its a trait you hate to see in a prospect.

Also it looks like his go to move is outside speed, that wont work as well in the NFL where the tackles are much more capable.  

Edited by Estro

50 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Not if there are 5 better.

8 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Yeah, "ni**a this, ni**a that" rap autotuned is the worst.

Polite looks like a stud in that video though.

It is the worst, but like did we really need a description of the lyrics?

Edited by Clyde Smith
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

I definitely didn't need the description. Not quite sure why that was necessary.

Kid looks good, but it's a highlight video. Still not a fan because of size/speed/productivity. Not quite sure why this guy is considered some hot prospect. Maybe I'm missing something.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

After Josh Allen Jachai Polite is nasty... will be there at 9. Opposite Hughes?

turn the volume down.... downright offensive 'music'

Probably a bit old fashioned, but there we're a lot of clips on his highlight reel where he was busy mugging the camera "flexing nuts" while the play was still going on and the ball was still bouncing around on the turf.

Bugs me a bit...play to the whistle then pat yourself on the back. Just could envision him doing something completely Billsy, like dancing around beating his chest while a Patriot player picks up the loose ball and runs it in for a score.

I have a good imagination for all the things my Bills could do wrong.

Edited by WideNine

15 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

he had nothing of the sort

He did. No player or coach ever questioned his motor or his work habits. He simply wasn't talented. Speed but no muscle.

16 hours ago, CSBill said:

Arron Maybin had a really high motor, how'd that work out?

Please. Nobody is saying that a high motor is enough, or that a high motor guarantees success. Of course you have to have talent. Polite appears to have it. 

Maybin played at 230 in college. Polite at 261. It's not a good comparison.

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Or the success of Kyle Williams, another lunch pail guy.

Edited by Thurman#1

10 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

He was a below average player at the most important defensive position who got paid like he was rock solid. It's not that he was terrible. It's that he should have been strictly a rotational guy. He's very emblematic of the Bills mediocrity over the last 20 years.

LDE is not the most important defensive position and it was even less so back in Kelsay's day. Kelsay was a very good run stopper who didn't have a lot of talent at rushing the passer.

If he is emblematic, it's only because fans keep saying it's so. It's not his fault he was a bit overpaid or that they never brought in someone who could take his job. Larry Triplett, John DiGiorgio, Angelo Crowell, Donte Whitner, Ko Simpson, Jeff Posey, Lawyer Milloy, Tim Anderson, Keith Ellison, Kawika Mitchell, Drayton Florence, Nick Barnett, Spencer Johnson ... there were plenty of other players without a ton of talent.

Blame the GMs. Was it Kelsay's fault that when the GMs decided they needed a pass rush from the left side the guy they chose to accomplish that was Maybin?

9 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Not if there are 5 better.

Agreed. I like Polite. Not sure he's a top nine guy but I like him. I'll trust that Beane will spend a lot more time ranking these guys than I will.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but this is a good article on Polite. Did you know as a freshman he put on ten pounds because the coaches wanted to get him on the field so they put him at DT?

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/10/23/jachai-polite-florida-gators-mom-twitter-nfl-draft

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

Bad judgement on my part. I sincerely meant no offense. Sorry.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I definitely didn't need the description. Not quite sure why that was necessary.

Kid looks good, but it's a highlight video. Still not a fan because of size/speed/productivity. Not quite sure why this guy is considered some hot prospect. Maybe I'm missing something.

Exactly, very unnecessary. I look at him as a 2-3rd. If he’s there give me Ferrell in the 1st. Honestly I’m pretty content with Murphy and Shaq.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

Exactly, very unnecessary. I look at him as a 2-3rd. If he’s there give me Ferrell in the 1st. Honestly I’m pretty content with Murphy and Shaq.

Can't agree with the confidence in Murphy, but yes to everything else.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

LDE is not the most important defensive position and it was even less so back in Kelsay's day. Kelsay was a very good run stopper who didn't have a lot of talent at rushing the passer.

I respect the distinction between LDE and RDE and you make some valid points. That said, Kelsay had plenty of opportunities to rush the passer and he almost never got home. Fine. If they wanted him to stop the run, you better have a pass rusher to bring in on third down. Like I said, he wasn't a terrible player, but as a pass rusher, he didn't get home. That's a big problem. Plenty of LDE's got home during the 2000's.

Edited by LSHMEAB

There are complaints here about him celebrating while the ball is still live, but there is also a play where he hustles his ass off winding his way around players to get 25 yards downfield to make a tackle. I think he's a awareness is fine.

2 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

There are complaints here about him celebrating while the ball is still live, but there is also a play where he hustles his ass off winding his way around players to get 25 yards downfield to make a tackle. I think he's a awareness is fine.

I saw that play first and did not discount it. Love that kind of hustle.

Just questioned the football IQ of someone who celebrates while the play is still live, as that happened on a few of his highlight  clips.

On 2/9/2019 at 11:30 AM, RPbillsfan said:

6'2", 260, projected 4.8 forty.  Think he may be drafted higher then his measureables merit.

No thank you

At 6'3" 260 Terrell Suggs ran a 4.84 forty. Straight line speed is overrated for a DL. I'm not advocating we take him at 9, but this guy looks like he bends the edge extremely well.