Jachai Polite - your new edge?

23 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Maybin was trash. Let me explain why I single out Kelsay. My primary focus has been defensive end for many, many years going back to missing out on Julius Peppers. I have this desire to see the Bills put together a dominant pass rush. It was pretty awesome to watch the defense play during the season where Mario, Hughes, and Dareus all racked up 10 plus sacks. I understand Kelsay was a hard worker. I HATED the combination of Kelsay and Denney. They're not the same player, but I tend to lump them together. I'm not a fan of defensive ends who set the edge, play the run well, etc. That is where the singling out comes in. It's certainly nothing personal against Kelsay the human being. I have a good friend who was fortunate enough to spend time at practice and said Kelsay was the nicest, most accessible guy on the team. He happened to share my view on the DE position, so it didn't change his opinion of Kelsay the player. When I think of the 2000's defensively, I think of a team that constantly got abused by good quarterbacks because they didn't get home. Constantly gave up third and 12's. Constantly failed on last minute drives. Everyone has a different opinion on why that is and perhaps it SEEMED to happen more frequently than my eyeballs told me, but that's my personal view.

OK, I think I get it.

But it still seems that you're saying this is more about you than about Kelsay. Which is much about what I'm trying to say. Kelsay should not be blamed for being the guy he is, as long as he gave everything he had to improve himself as much as possible. From all accounts Kelsay was an extremely hard worker. You wanted someone else? A different kind of player? IMHO that's reasonable, but singling out Kelsay for blame isn't.

It's the GMs who brought him in and didn't bring in a pass rusher who could beat him out ... or maybe the coaches who said they didn't need pass-rushing DEs and could scheme pressure.

Your post here is pretty reasonable, much more so than much of the vitriol Kelsay receives. But he does receive it. When the blame should fall on the personnel staff.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, WideNine said:

I don't.

There's a cottage industry out there, friends and family, or friends at college who have some skills pulling together videos. Players often have the chance to look them over first.

Unless this was a straight up product of a rabid fan. Which is possible I guess.

The music comment too was funny earlier as I have talked with college coaches who laugh about how recruits sweat over having just the right tracks. He told me that he has to review so many videos that most coaches turn off the sound.

It works for fans of the game - I get it. I also get that players are desperate to separate and market  themselves on the field and some celebration after good plays is part of that.

Not being aware that there was a fumble and starting an early celebration just bugged me because "play till the whistle" is a pop warner learned thing.

Yeah, a lot of these guys spend their free time hanging out with film school guys. So they can talk about The Sorrow and the Pity and custom order videos.

If it were friends, only a few guys would have videos out there. More, those videos don't help the players market themselves to the teams. The teams don't look at highlight videos, they look at game videos to see the good but also the bad as well. It's guys looking for lots of Youtube hits. For high school guys it's different. They might have to market themselves to colleges if they're not the five-star guys. But those videos aren't the ones you're seeing in this thread.

Here's an example of a site that makes videos. One of Polite's videos comes from them. He's not doing it because he's a Jachai Polite fan. He's doing it for hits.

https://www.youtube.com/user/gticki

Here's another guy who has yet another Polite video and he's got a ton of FSU and Auburn guys along with a ton of other stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisLee1204

Another:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGFxp2JvE08LUSA0bRbdHKQ

Don't blame Polite for this stuff. A lot of people do these things without knowing anything about the guy but that he's a good popular player.

Not that it never happens. About halfway down this story is the video his uncle took with his cellphone of the play on TV where he chased the guy down about 30 yards downfield. The quality's a bit different.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/10/23/jachai-polite-florida-gators-mom-twitter-nfl-draft

Edited by Thurman#1