Which non-Bills draft pick stung the most?

Buffalo86

On 2/9/2019 at 3:39 AM, Buffalo86 said:

Which non-Bills' pick stung you the most on draft day?  Was it a player you really wanted, taken one spot before us?  A seemingly great pick by the Jets or Dolphins?  A guy from your alma mater, snatched up by the Patriots in the middle of the day?  A Long-Snapper who broke your heart?

My #1 has to be the Panthers taking Kuechly @ 9 in '12, just one pick before us.  A lot of mocks had us taking Mark Barron, so I was relieved when the Bucs picked him.  My relief was soon replaced with horror at the announcement of the Panthers' pick.  Remember that Christmas Eve '11, 40-14 beatdown of the Tebow/McGahee Broncos?  It made the holiday that much more enjoyable for many of us... but it came with a price.

Honorable mention to the Patriots fielding a ~75% Rutgers secondary for the past 6 years.

I dont know where to start or end but I remember vividly in 2011 and 2012 2 world class blunders by the Bills as i screamed at my TV like a mad man. 

2011 3rd rd Kelvin Shepard instead of Justin Houston. I was seriously hurt from the inside with this one. 

2012 the 3rd rd trade up I was ready to hear the name Russ Wilson or TY Hilton  but instead we got TJ Graham. Awful just awful. 

I can go on and on with this type of thing but those 2 were like punches to my gut and face. No wonder we've been a bottom barrel organization for so long.

In retrospect, the trade up to get Losman that cost us a chance at Aaron Rodgers is only rivaled by passing on Brady on 2001.  

At the time of draft day, however, I wanted Orakpo over Maybin and Ngata over Whitner.  I didn't know enough about Gronk at the time to really want him when we picked Troup (although I wasn't a fan of the Troup pick at the time either).  

When we traded up and took Sammy over Mack I threw a chair into the wall. You don't make a trade up like that unless it's a QB or a guy that kills the other QB. With Mack on this team our whole secondary would be in the pro bowl. This is the reason you draft elite talent when you have a chance in the top ten. Guys like Mack are game changers and make it appear that the defense has 12 men on the field every play. I still cannot believe we passed on Khalil Mack, just shows how stupid some GM's really are. How you could watch his combine and the way he played in college and not know that he was going to be a top 3 DE is beyond me. I feel so ***** sick right now.

6 hours ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

FINE with me. We wouldn't have to face him twice a year and watch him run the AFC for the last 2 decades. 

This is why he was my selection. Not so much what we would have done with him but rather it would have kept him from doing what he has done to us.

6 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

If we took Brady he would of ended up being a Levi Brown for us.

Thats fine, in that scenario it still keeps him from being Tom Brady the Bills killer, 6 time Superbowl champ on the Patriots. 

Edited by WizdomCalling
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WizdomCalling said:

This is why he was my selection. Not so much what we would have done with him but rather it would have kept him from doing what he has done to us.

Thats fine, in that scenario it still keeps him from being Tom Brady the Bills killer, 6 time Superbowl chamo on the Patriots. 

If Belicheck would of just stayed with the Jets it would of changed the course of time. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

LB Patrick Willis taken by the Niners in the 2007 draft the pick before us.  It seems when the Bills do get a good MLB, they let them leave in free agency (Poslusny, P.Brown, Z. Brown) or trade them away (Alonso) but they missed out on two if the better ones.

I was a huge Willis fan and thought we were gonna get him that draft too. That was a giant kick to the groin. 

But id disagree with the “good” MLBs you listed. Zac brown was quite good but those other guys were not good here. Poz and Preston got a million tackles after the back was already 5 yards down the field and rarely made any real plays and Alonso got man handled by offensive linemen and missed his gaps non stop 

NAH !! I 'm happy with the way it turned out 2 first round picks that will be here for a while as leaders of this team going forward it's a lot better than a lot drafts of the Bills past !!

Edited by T master

From when I really began paying attention to Bill's drafting.....

In hind sight Was okay with the Sammy Watkins pick because OBD are the professionals right? We needed a WR right?

But definitely wanted Kalil Mack over him. Buffalo roots wanted to play in B-Lo, best DE in the draft, knew him and Mario William's would have been monsters together, and could be mentored by MW, as we all knew he was on his way out within a couple years.

Also OBJ or Mike Evans would have been a better option at wide out, again in hind sight.

However, we all know picking Maybin with Orakpo still on the board, was a complete and utter disaster. There was no silver lining to him. He had 0 sacks with the Bills in a year and a half. He was then waived.......Considered one of the biggest draft busts in recent NFL history. So yeah...

Maybin.