Which non-Bills draft pick stung the most?

Buffalo86

16 hours ago, Mango said:

It’s weird that Mahommes isn’t mentioned more due to a bunch of things:

- It’s the most important position in football

- Dude looks like a stud

-He was literally picked with the Bills draft pick.

- They traded away said draft pick with Mahommes still on the board.  

-Regency biased.

- Literally every other single player listed doesn’t make the Bills roster nearly as improved as Mahommes does. 

- We could have used the increased draft capital in 2018 to build a better roster than we have now, rather than spending said capital on Allen and Edmunds.

I may be alone in my opinion, but I don't see Mahommes being as successful if we drafted him, the Bills were just not in a position at the time to develop him properly, we wouldn't have sat him for a year, we don't have Andy Reid, of the weapons around him, so it stings to see we traded away the chance, I like the way were taking on our long rebuild process.

17 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t see anything good coming from beating myself up playing this game. I hate intentionally dwelling on negative things that bring me down. Sorry, just a little balance....I had to vent. Carry on!  ?

I agree.  This thread pops up every year. You can set your clock to it. Accomplishes nothing and annoying. 

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree.  This thread pops up every year. You can set your clock to it. Accomplishes nothing and annoying. 

Yeah, it seems more monthly than yearly, but yeah. I just don’t get intentionally dwelling on the most negative thing you can think of. I try to put the worst stuff in the rear view mirror, try to learn from it and move on....in football and in life. But I’m not trying to tell anyone else what’s right for them. That’s up to the individual. I’ll just try to ignore most of the stuff that bugs me and pick only the battles that really matter to me. 

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, it seems more monthly than yearly, but yeah. I just don’t get intentionally dwelling on the most negative thing you can think of. I try to put the worst stuff in the rear view mirror, try to learn from it and move on....in football and in life. But I’m not trying to tell anyone else what’s right for them. That’s up to the individual. I’ll just try to ignore most of the stuff that bugs me and pick only the battles that really matter to me. 

It's unhealthy and not exactly therapeutic. We all have memorized 100x the bust picks, the woulda, coulda, shoulda scenarios. Wide right and the unending pain of losing 4 straight SB's with all those HOFers. These posts are counter productive.  Look to the future.  Embrace positivity and support McV, JA and thus team. Don't look back. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Big Ben, then Wilson, then Mahomes.

There were a lot here that really wanted to draft him.  It's not a hindsight pick.

Hopefully everything will work out fine with Allen, but it's still hard to fathom how a team that has needed a quarterback for 20 years decided to pass on Mahomes and trade down. Same goes for passing on Watson for that matter. Bills could have had either one.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's unhealthy and not exactly therapeutic. We all have memorized 100x the bust picks, the woulda, coulda, shoulda scenarios. Wide right and the unending pain of losing 4 straight SB's with all those HOFers. These posts are counter productive.  Look to the future.  Embrace positivity and support McV, JA and thus team. Don't look back. 

The crazy thing is so many act like it’s only the Bills that suffer this way. Woe is us! Look how terrible we are!

Every team does it! Brady is the easy and obvious example, but every year every team would like a do-over on something, and the fans complain. Have we done it a little more than some others over the years? Probably, but I start over with new owners and FO. None of this crowd messed up anything here 10-20 years ago. Let’s give them a chance. (Then, maybe later we can sharpen the pitchforks....?

4 hours ago, CookieG said:

That was a strange year for wr's. The Bills weren't the only ones looking for the guy "who's open when he's not open". The big receivers were the highlighted ones pre-draft. 

Besides Hardy there was (some names I can't remember).

Limas Sweed from Texas;

The big WR from Oklahoma St. who was high on people's boards until he ran a 40 time...I think he ended up in the CFL;

The one from Oklahoma who made such a spectacle of not running his 40. When he finally did, it looked like he was jogging through it;

Devin Thomas, who had a great 40, but couldn't run anything but bubble screens:

Jordy Nelson, who came out of nowhere to have something like 1800 yards his senior year.

There were a few others in the 6'2" 210+ category who ended up washing out.

I remember asking a few weeks before the draft..."with all of the focus on these big receivers, is a good WR being overlooked who's not so big".  The one overlooked was Jackson.

I wanted Jordy that year, and was disappointed when Green Bay swooped in about 5 spots before us, but admit I thought Hardy was going to be good.

The only consolation was that we got Stevie Johnson towards the end of the draft.

As to the original question..its Mahomes and it isn't close.  The stars aligned for that draft..and we deferred.

Yes that is right. I remember that year I wanted Sweed, Jackson or Nelson. I think that all the projected top 15 WR's that year fell to the 2nd, mainly Devin Thomas.

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve never lost my S**T more than when we took Ngata over Whitney.  Then like a beaten and abused spouse, I found a way rationalize and justify this horror of the Whitner choice as if it was a bigger need and made sense.  

I will never forget this pick.  My Aunt had just passed away and I was at her house starting to clean it out with my Grandma, brother and step mom.  Had the draft on while we worked in giddy anticipation of our pick as a distraction to what we were doing.  I was all jacked to grab literally the most obvious draft choice ever in Ngata.  Then the pick comes in and A LOT of swearing would follow.  

HONORAY MENTION:  Russel Wilson falling in our lap (more than once) and not drafting him.  I couldn’t believe it.  I won’t even mention who we drafted as it’s such an insult to Wilson it should never be spoke of again.  

What came next is what got me with that draft ... We traded back into the 1st round and took John McCargo when Nick Mangold was still available.

Not taking Watson in 2017 pissed me off too.

8 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

So many ppl say Mahomes, but that’s a hindsight pick, not many ppl thought he was going to be as good as he is. I could pick a 100 players I wish we could have had after we found out how good they were in the league. That being said, Luke Kuechly was the pick I was crossing my fingers for and clenching during every pick announcement. That’s the one I remember really letting me down, watching him get picked right before us.

That's right.................

People saying Mahomes are extremely short-sighted.

How many people hated Mahomes in the 2017 draft? I was one who loved Mahomes, but I knew the Bills would pass on him. So, I won't bash the Bills now for not taking him.

By the way, there are just too many players to mention in this thread, so it doesn't come down to one specific player.

I will play along though. 

I remember my first Bills draft as a 10 year old in 1982............ I wanted Mike Quick over Perry Tuttle, whom the Bills took one pick before Quick.

On February 8, 2019 at 5:39 PM, Buffalo86 said:

Which non-Bills' pick stung you the most on draft day?  Was it a player you really wanted, taken one spot before us?  A seemingly great pick by the Jets or Dolphins?  A guy from your alma mater, snatched up by the Patriots in the middle of the day?  A Long-Snapper who broke your heart?

My #1 has to be the Panthers taking Kuechly @ 9 in '12, just one pick before us.  A lot of mocks had us taking Mark Barron, so I was relieved when the Bucs picked him.  My relief was soon replaced with horror at the announcement of the Panthers' pick.  Remember that Christmas Eve '11, 40-14 beatdown of the Tebow/McGahee Broncos?  It made the holiday that much more enjoyable for many of us... but it came with a price.

Honorable mention to the Patriots fielding a ~75% Rutgers secondary for the past 6 years.

LB Patrick Willis taken by the Niners in the 2007 draft the pick before us.  It seems when the Bills do get a good MLB, they let them leave in free agency (Poslusny, P.Brown, Z. Brown) or trade them away (Alonso) but they missed out on two if the better ones.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

That's right.................

People saying Mahomes are extremely short-sighted.

How many people hated Mahomes in the 2017 draft? I was one who loved Mahomes, but I knew the Bills would pass on him. So, I won't bash the Bills now for not taking him.

By the way, there are just too many players to mention in this thread, so it doesn't come down to one specific player.

I will play along though. 

I remember my first Bills draft as a 10 year old in 1982............ I wanted Mike Quick over Perry Tuttle, whom the Bills took one pick before Quick.

I didn’t care for Mahomes. So he won’t be my choice. He’s made me look like an idiot for the first time ever but my choice would be Khalil Mack or Haloti Ngata. Both were available when the Bills picked.

When the Bills traded up in ‘14, I thought it was for Mack. Wasn’t upset with Watkins then. I am now.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/9/2019 at 4:53 AM, WizdomCalling said:

Passing over Tom Brady 6 times In the 2000 Draft.

Some1 had to say it.

But other than the obvious ...

There are so many I wish we would have selected

Orakpo, Ngata, Patrick Willis, Gronk, Odell Beckham, Adrian Peterson (yes we got Lynch that year but AP was a monster!) The list goes on and on. I am now depressed.i kid. LoL ?

If we took Brady he would of ended up being a Levi Brown for us.