Which non-Bills draft pick stung the most?

Buffalo86

11 hours ago, WizdomCalling said:

Passing over Tom Brady 6 times In the 2000 Draft.

Some1 had to say it.

But other than the obvious ...

There are so many I wish we would have selected

Orakpo, Ngata, Patrick Willis, Gronk, Odell Beckham, Adrian Peterson (yes we got Lynch that year but AP was a monster!) The list goes on and on. I am now depressed.i kid. LoL ?

No, NO ONE had to say it.

Seriously? This is your list? 

So many ppl say Mahomes, but that’s a hindsight pick, not many ppl thought he was going to be as good as he is. I could pick a 100 players I wish we could have had after we found out how good they were in the league. That being said, Luke Kuechly was the pick I was crossing my fingers for and clenching during every pick announcement. That’s the one I remember really letting me down, watching him get picked right before us.

13 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Which non-Bills' pick stung you the most on draft day?  Was it a player you really wanted, taken one spot before us?  A seemingly great pick by the Jets or Dolphins?  A guy from your alma mater, snatched up by the Patriots in the middle of the day?  A Long-Snapper who broke your heart?

My #1 has to be the Panthers taking Kuechly @ 9 in '12, just one pick before us.  A lot of mocks had us taking Mark Barron, so I was relieved when the Bucs picked him.  My relief was soon replaced with horror at the announcement of the Panthers' pick.  Remember that Christmas Eve '11, 40-14 beatdown of the Tebow/McGahee Broncos?  It made the holiday that much more enjoyable for many of us... but it came with a price.

Honorable mention to the Patriots fielding a ~75% Rutgers secondary for the past 6 years.

He was taken before us so it doesnt bother me as much as taking Whitner over Ngata.

• Like (+1) 1

Big Ben, then Wilson, then Mahomes.

4 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

So many ppl say Mahomes, but that’s a hindsight pick, not many ppl thought he was going to be as good as he is. I could pick a 100 players I wish we could have had after we found out how good they were in the league. That being said, Luke Kuechly was the pick I was crossing my fingers for and clenching during every pick announcement. That’s the one I remember really letting me down, watching him get picked right before us.

There were a lot here that really wanted to draft him.  It's not a hindsight pick.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Big Ben, then Wilson, then Mahomes.

There were a lot here that really wanted to draft him.  It's not a hindsight pick.

You can disagree if you’d like, np, I’m sure some people did, there’s also plenty of ppl that never watched a single Texas Tech game, see how good he is now and say how bad it hurts, but how many people went into the draft saying the one guy I want in this draft is Pat Mahomes.

59 minutes ago, Codyny13 said:

You can disagree if you’d like, np, I’m sure some people did, there’s also plenty of ppl that never watched a single Texas Tech game, see how good he is now and say how bad it hurts, but how many people went into the draft saying the one guy I want in this draft is Pat Mahomes.

I wanted Watson or Mahomes with that pick.

Passing on both Watson and Mahomes not in hindsight was dumb when we desperately needed a QB. 

13 hours ago, WizdomCalling said:

Passing over Tom Brady 6 times In the 2000 Draft.

Some1 had to say it.

This is actually correct- As a patriot he’s resulted in decades of pain for the Bills. 

If tgey drafted him him and he rode the bench his entire career it would’ve been better than what did happen 

• Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

DeSean Jackson. I believe we passed on him because we needed a tall receivers so we drafted Hardy instead.

Yep. We've already got Evans, so we gotta get a big, possession receiver! Never, ever draft based on the "type" of player you need at a position. Bad idea jeans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

DeSean Jackson. I believe we passed on him because we needed a tall receivers so we drafted Hardy instead.

That was a strange year for wr's. The Bills weren't the only ones looking for the guy "who's open when he's not open". The big receivers were the highlighted ones pre-draft. 

Besides Hardy there was (some names I can't remember).

Limas Sweed from Texas;

The big WR from Oklahoma St. who was high on people's boards until he ran a 40 time...I think he ended up in the CFL;

The one from Oklahoma who made such a spectacle of not running his 40. When he finally did, it looked like he was jogging through it;

Devin Thomas, who had a great 40, but couldn't run anything but bubble screens:

Jordy Nelson, who came out of nowhere to have something like 1800 yards his senior year.

There were a few others in the 6'2" 210+ category who ended up washing out.

I remember asking a few weeks before the draft..."with all of the focus on these big receivers, is a good WR being overlooked who's not so big".  The one overlooked was Jackson.

I wanted Jordy that year, and was disappointed when Green Bay swooped in about 5 spots before us, but admit I thought Hardy was going to be good.

The only consolation was that we got Stevie Johnson towards the end of the draft.

As to the original question..its Mahomes and it isn't close.  The stars aligned for that draft..and we deferred.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe he’s not mentioned more in this thread because it’s a tired subject after every fifth thread was about him for so long? This appears to be about different ways to beat yourself up and focus on different negative stuff, I think.....

Just my guess...

Any team’s fans can play this game. We are not unique. 

People might not like talking about it anymore, but it doesn’t make it wrong. 

I’ve never lost my S**T more than when we took Ngata over Whitney.  Then like a beaten and abused spouse, I found a way rationalize and justify this horror of the Whitner choice as if it was a bigger need and made sense.  

I will never forget this pick.  My Aunt had just passed away and I was at her house starting to clean it out with my Grandma, brother and step mom.  Had the draft on while we worked in giddy anticipation of our pick as a distraction to what we were doing.  I was all jacked to grab literally the most obvious draft choice ever in Ngata.  Then the pick comes in and A LOT of swearing would follow.  

HONORAY MENTION:  Russel Wilson falling in our lap (more than once) and not drafting him.  I couldn’t believe it.  I won’t even mention who we drafted as it’s such an insult to Wilson it should never be spoke of again.  

4 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Nobody mentioned Brady yet.  Pretty doubtful he would’ve became what he is now as a Bill. Still he wouldn’t be the opponent with the most wins in Buffalo 

He's been mentioned, but this was intended to be about the picks that bothered you the most at the time they were made.  Brady should be the 20/20 hindsight pick for just about every team, though I personally had no idea who he was in 2000.