Which non-Bills draft pick stung the most?

Buffalo86

Which non-Bills' pick stung you the most on draft day?  Was it a player you really wanted, taken one spot before us?  A seemingly great pick by the Jets or Dolphins?  A guy from your alma mater, snatched up by the Patriots in the middle of the day?  A Long-Snapper who broke your heart?

My #1 has to be the Panthers taking Kuechly @ 9 in '12, just one pick before us.  A lot of mocks had us taking Mark Barron, so I was relieved when the Bucs picked him.  My relief was soon replaced with horror at the announcement of the Panthers' pick.  Remember that Christmas Eve '11, 40-14 beatdown of the Tebow/McGahee Broncos?  It made the holiday that much more enjoyable for many of us... but it came with a price.

Honorable mention to the Patriots fielding a ~75% Rutgers secondary for the past 6 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Gronkowski still bothers the ***** out of me.

A team that has literally NEVER had an elite tight end had one fall into their laps -- one who was FROM Buffalo and raised as a Bills fan, no less -- and they passed on him due to supposed "lingering back problems" to reach for a Nose Tackle that had to retire due to, you guessed it, back problems. Meanwhile, the tight end went one pick later to the hated Patriots and helped extend Brady's career by several years.

You can't make this stuff up.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Gronkowski still bothers the ***** out of me.

A team that has literally NEVER had an elite tight end had one fall into their laps -- one who was FROM Buffalo and raised as a Bills fan, no less -- and they passed on him due to supposed "lingering back problems" to reach for a Nose Tackle that had to retire due to, you guessed it, back problems. Meanwhile, the tight end went one pick later to the hated Patriots and helped extend Brady's career by several years.

You can't make this stuff up.

Yeah, that definitely sucked.  I don't remember Gronk being on my radar, but I hated the Troup pick.  Troup also had back problems in college.  They might not have been the same exact back problems that ended his career, but that's just splitting hairs. 

12 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

Orakpo

Yes, hard to think of a worse pick than Maybin. 

12 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Roethlisberger

I remember being a fan of Vilma & DJ Williams in that draft.

I don’t see anything good coming from beating myself up playing this game. I hate intentionally dwelling on negative things that bring me down. Sorry, just a little balance....I had to vent. Carry on!  ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Gronk for sure. Watching him tear us up every Sunday for a decade has sucked. If we had drafted him at the very least he wouldnt have been so dominant versus us. Moving up for Watkins & passing up ODB or lets face it, Khalil Mack or anyone else. I wanted us to get Roethlisberger back in the day after seeing how he dominated at Miami OH. But the past couple years its been Mahomes.

I know its become a meme of sorts around here, but needing a QB badly & passing up on one with the talent of this kid, just to watch him light it up for Andy too many cheesesteaks Reid's Chiefs will forever burn a hole in my heart. The only cure for which will be some Pepto Allen. I don't need Allen to be the leagues MVP but just don't suck it up out there & put up some wins & most of all, make me Billieve. If Allen works out all is forgiven :P

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 1

Passing over Tom Brady 6 times In the 2000 Draft.

Some1 had to say it.

But other than the obvious ...

There are so many I wish we would have selected

Orakpo, Ngata, Patrick Willis, Gronk, Odell Beckham, Adrian Peterson (yes we got Lynch that year but AP was a monster!) The list goes on and on. I am now depressed.i kid. LoL ?

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Maybin over Orakpo, which was so obviously wrong to everyone.

Not taking Mack also felt horrible. To get close enough and the not take him sucked. 

I was about to post that as I remember a few defenders that were projected in the top 10 slipping including Orakpo.  I was hoping for either a trade down or Orakpo at the time.  When I heard the one year wonder undersized Maybin who had the most "potential" I thought we made a mistake.

It’s weird that Mahommes isn’t mentioned more due to a bunch of things:

- It’s the most important position in football

- Dude looks like a stud

-He was literally picked with the Bills draft pick.

- They traded away said draft pick with Mahommes still on the board.  

-Regency biased.

- Literally every other single player listed doesn’t make the Bills roster nearly as improved as Mahommes does. 

- We could have used the increased draft capital in 2018 to build a better roster than we have now, rather than spending said capital on Allen and Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

It’s weird that Mahommes isn’t mentioned more due to a bunch of things:

- It’s the most important position in football

- Dude looks like a stud

-He was literally picked with the Bills draft pick.

- They traded away said draft pick with Mahommes still on the board.  

-Regency biased.

- Literally every other single player listed doesn’t make the Bills roster nearly as improved as Mahommes does. 

- We could have used the increased draft capital in 2018 to build a better roster than we have now, rather than spending said capital on Allen and Edmunds.

Maybe he’s not mentioned more in this thread because it’s a tired subject after every fifth thread was about him for so long? This appears to be about different ways to beat yourself up and focus on different negative stuff, I think.....

Just my guess...

Any team’s fans can play this game. We are not unique. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So a little less depressing, I was a grad student at Penn State, and in my first semester there, taught three Penn State football players in a lab class; Johnnie Troutman, who played a couple years as a guard in San Diego, Nick Sukay, who was briefly on the Bills practice squad (I thought it was REALLY amazing he was on the Bills, but he didn't last long), and Jared Odrick, who was projected to go in the first round.  We didn't have any picks anywhere around where he was expected to go (we were drafting early, he was expected to go late first), so unless he somehow fell to us in the second, I wasn't expecting too much, and was just thinking it would be cool to follow his career, root for him personally.  The problem?  He got drafted by the Dolphins!  I'm just sitting there on draft night, stunned, thinking "how the hell can I root for you now!?"