Greatest Game in Bills History

GreggTX

For us Bills fans who respect the history of the franchise.......................

How can it NOT be winning the AFC Championship in Miami in 93, basically slapping the 0-20 streak in the 70's against them right in the face.

Of course, 51-3 is right there too.

9 minutes ago, njbuff said:

For us Bills fans who respect the history of the franchise.......................

How can it NOT be winning the AFC Championship in Miami in 93, basically slapping the 0-20 streak in the 70's against them right in the face.

For us who have lived the entire history, the best Fish win has to be ending their streak opening day 1980.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Talley56 said:

As I recall, that game was in SF.  Did you get a lot of harassment from 49er fans?  I've heard they're pretty bad.

The ones we tailgated near were real nice. Don't recall any issues really. Remember, they were still the model franchise with some recent championships. They were pretty happy fans overall.

What was funny was listening to the post game radio shows. Trade Young, Montana would have pulled it out. Fans are stupid all over.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Holy Cow... I'm delighted that someone posted the video to this game. By the time it was over, the Bills were the only undefeated team in the NFL. The 1980 season was an awesome time to be alive... for many Sundays, at least.

But can you imagine TSW picking apart that team and that game?   :lol:

"Fergy can't hit anything, need to draft a QB!"

"OL is a disaster, McKenzie is done!"

"Hope they plan to get 6 turnovers every week!" 

"Why do they keep giving the ball to Brown?"

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, RJ (not THAT RJ) said:

Holy Cow... I'm delighted that someone posted the video to this game. By the time it was over, the Bills were the only undefeated team in the NFL. The 1980 season was an awesome time to be alive... for many Sundays, at least.

I remember., 1980 was the first time i had season tickets.  The first 4 weeks were so fantastic, my brother rented a projection screen, and we watched the game outside, in the yard, with a bunch of other season ticket holders/friends, and tried to make it as if we were at the game in San Diego (even though it was a cool day in Kenmore)....I was 15 at the time,  and it was the first time I ever experienced that feeling of being totally engrossed in a football game, on tv.  We hung on every play....up til that point in my "Bills-life", taking my cues from the adults around me, there was never a feeling that the Bills were going to win anything...but that season was different...that game in particular made it all seem real.

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

that was a great butt kicking on the road.

14 hours ago, justnzane said:

51-3... I mean after all we were all wide eyed and optimistic at that point before reality set in year after year

Bills were a big fish in a small pond. The NFC was a different beast back then. Had the Bills played in the NFC, there's very little chance they go to four straight SB's.

4 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I feel like that may be the one. It was the Raiders though as Gault had gone to Oakland by 90. Appreciate it.

and it was Sunday night, not Monday if I recall correctly. We also had a blocked punt we returned for a TD. Great game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1. Comeback vs. Houston

2. 51-3 over Oakland

3. Only because I was there, November 87, Bills 27-0 over the phins. Once we finally scored, the sky opened up, the snow started falling and the whole stadium cheered and sang" let it snow, let it snow, let it snow". Miami could not do anything after that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/9/2019 at 10:42 AM, ChevyVanMiller said:

I’m 54, so just missed out on the AFL championship teams. I’ll offer up two games that deserve consideration, though.

The greatest comeback game against the Oilers and the no-punt game against the 49ers.

Those and I believe it was 1983 when Ferguson beat the dolphins in Miami. 38-35 or some such. I was nine. Couldn't believe my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I feel like that may be the one. It was the Raiders though as Gault had gone to Oakland by 90. Appreciate it.

I remember that play and series.  I believe it was a Sunday night game on TNT.  

If you watch the preceding play, Odoms leads Gault out of bounds and he's watching how Gault is holding the ball.  Next play he strips the ball and runs it back for the TD.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The best game I saw live was Bills Bengals at Rich Stadium on Monday night, October 21, 1991.  Lofton has a huge push off for a TD, and Sam Wyche goes absolutely apeshit running into the field to quack at the refs.  Big Bills win and a great game to be at.

I'll also throw in the Don Shula retirement game, as the Bills drop a 342 burger rushing all over the Fish D.  Playoff win and another great day to be a Bills fan.

Like others have noted for me the Bills 51 - 3 annihilation of the Raiders in the AFC championship is my favorite game. 

Sure the comeback was more memorable from an historical standpoint but I didn't enjoy that game.  For all of the 1st half and half of the 3rd quarter all I did was yell at my TV trashing the Bills.  I thought their effort was pitiful especially falling behind 35 - 3 in the playoffs AT HOME!  Yea, I went nuts as they started their comeback and couldn't believe it when they hit the FG in OT - but that was not a fun game for me - exhausting would be a better description.

And I was at Rich Stadium when the Bills ended the Miami streak 17 - 7.  But I was in college then and don't have a clear memory of the game as I was in the early stages of my pre-game drinking career.

So yea the 51 - 3 beat down of the Raiders is #1 to me.  Right from the get go we kicked their butt.  By half time I knew we were going to the Super Bowl.  And that feeling, knowing we were headed to the big game, was so warm and comforting,  helped get me through the disappointment 2 weeks later.  Plus as another poster noted that Championship game was the one moment when everyone agreed the Bills were the best team in football. 

6 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

Those and I believe it was 1983 when Ferguson beat the dolphins in Miami. 38-35 or some such. I was nine. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Marino’s 1st ever start. We won in OT with Fergy having his best career day.

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Like others have noted for me the Bills 51 - 3 annihilation of the Raiders in the AFC championship is my favorite game. 

Sure the comeback was more memorable from an historical standpoint but I didn't enjoy that game.  For all of the 1st half and half of the 3rd quarter all I did was yell at my TV trashing the Bills.  I thought their effort was pitiful especially falling behind 35 - 3 in the playoffs AT HOME!  Yea, I went nuts as they started their comeback and couldn't believe it when they hit the FG in OT - but that was not a fun game for me - exhausting would be a better description.

And I was at Rich Stadium when the Bills ended the Miami streak 17 - 7.  But I was in college then and don't have a clear memory of the game as I was in the early stages of my pre-game drinking career.

So yea the 51 - 3 beat down of the Raiders is #1 to me.  Right from the get go we kicked their butt.  By half time I knew we were going to the Super Bowl.  And that feeling, knowing we were headed to the big game, was so warm and comforting,  helped get me through the disappointment 2 weeks later.  Plus as another poster noted that Championship game was the one moment when everyone agreed the Bills were the best team in football. 

It was a great experience! At halftime in the hallways, everyone was high-5ing and whopping it up! “We’re going to the SUPER BOWL!!!”

1 hour ago, dfluker said:

If you watch the preceding play, Odoms leads Gault out of bounds and he's watching how Gault is holding the ball.  Next play he strips the ball and runs it back for the TD.  

I distinctly remember it being a nationally televised night game. Not quite sure why I remember that moment so vividly, but not the details. Appreciate the info.

3 hours ago, dfluker said:

Correct.  This was exactly one week after the ridiculous comeback (3 TDs in less than a minute) against Denver that began with Biscuit's blocked FG return.