Greatest Game in Bills History

GreggTX

11 hours ago, SDS said:

Found the last person still using Bing. 

@JohnC does as well...but he is getting on and  in years and hates to stay with the times or make changes when clearly changes are needed

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

December 15, 1990 at the Meadowlands, Kelly got hurt and they still beat the full strength Giants

from that moment until that missed FG the Bills were the best team in the NFL. 

Never happened before, probably will never happen again.

when did Simms get hurt? 

20 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

@JohnC does as well...but he is getting on and  in years and hates to stay with the times or make changes when clearly changes are needed

when did Simms get hurt? 

Shortly after Kelly.  i was there, terrible weather cold snow and rain.  Kelly got hurt and the Giants fans were cheering.  I think it was more the hit than the injury.  No one was cheering when Simms went down (except me :) 

2 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

Shortly after Kelly.  i was there, terrible weather cold snow and rain.  Kelly got hurt and the Giants fans were cheering.  I think it was more the hit than the injury.  No one was cheering when Simms went down (except me :) 

thats what i thought, but was not 100%. Did they go the entire playoffs with Hostettler?

14 hours ago, GreggTX said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1964+AFL+Championship+Game&view=detail&mid=8AC8C7F06B70A76D4CAB8AC8C7F06B70A76D4CAB&FORM=VIRE

The Chargers opened the scoring at Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium with a TD pass from John Hadl, but shortly thereafter (5:52) was the "shot heard 'round the world" which broke a few ribs on the Chargers HOF RB Keith Lincoln and the momentum switched to Buffalo for good as the Bills went on to win their 1st championship 20-7 for HC Lou Saban.

The following year, the Bills would travel to San Diego's Balboa Stadium and defeat the Chargers again (23-0) for their 2nd consecutive AFL Championship.

Argue all you want, but to me, no accomplishments since can rival these back to back championships. There's just something about being the last team standing when all the dust settles that the Bills have never experienced since the mid 60's.

Thank you! 

Indeed, the Very Best Bills game ever!

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  Being at the Rockpile for the first AFL championship game- one of life's highlights

2.  Opening game 1980 when we finally beat the Fish, and helped carry the goalposts to Ralph.

3.  Monday night opening game in '74 when we beat the Raiders.  Sat right in the corner of the end zone where Rashad caught the pass

I didn’t witness the ‘64 Title game, but was there for ending the Dolphin streak and in the end zone where Rashad caught his TDs!

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

December 15, 1990 at the Meadowlands, Kelly got hurt and they still beat the full strength Giants

from that moment until that missed FG the Bills were the best team in the NFL. 

Never happened before, probably will never happen again.

Was that the game where Odomes(I think) just ripped the ball out of a WR's hands? I tried bing, but couldn't find anything that matches my recollection of that Monday Night play.

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

Lucky enough to attend both games. Oilers game was insane. 49er's just big play after big play. I think Steve Young has 500+ total yards, Kelly about 400.

As I recall, that game was in SF.  Did you get a lot of harassment from 49er fans?  I've heard they're pretty bad.

My best memory was Cookie Gilchrist breaking Jim Brown's pro football single game rushing record against the Jets  36 carries, 243 yards, 5 TD's Bills won 45-14 on a field in the rockpile that today would have been considered unplayable.

4 hours ago, justnzane said:

51-3... I mean after all we were all wide eyed and optimistic at that point before reality set in year after year

Agree.  I always say every Bills fan needs to watch that game in full if they weren’t alive or old enough to remember it.  It represents the best/most optimistic of times with everybody healthy 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The comeback game for the following reasons:

-We got demolished by Houston the week before.

-Kelly and Thurman were injured. 

-Enthusiasm for that team was not high going into the game as it wasn't even sold out.

-The pick 6 at the start of the 2nd half seemed to seal our fate and we weren't going back to our 3rd Superbowl.

-Warren Moon was picking our defense apart.

-I hugged at least five strangers when Christie won it in Overtime.

The first AFC Championship game is a close second, but it didn't have the unexpected element like that game had.

By the way, I could care less about the AFL days.  Wow, we were better than seven teams that year.

20 hours ago, Buftex said:

For me, (age 54) I am a little too young to remember the AFL years...my earliest Bills memories start in 1972.  For me, it was a different Bills/Chargers game that may be the greatest Bills game I ever saw...it was 1980.  For the first time in my young Bills life, it felt like the Bills had a legit elite team...they went into San Diego and beat a heavily favored Chargers team...I knew, right then, the Bills were winning the Supoer Bowl that year....I love the 1980 Bills...favorite season, for my favorite team....              

Holy Cow... I'm delighted that someone posted the video to this game. By the time it was over, the Bills were the only undefeated team in the NFL. The 1980 season was an awesome time to be alive... for many Sundays, at least.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Was that the game where Odomes(I think) just ripped the ball out of a WR's hands? I tried bing, but couldn't find anything that matches my recollection of that Monday Night play.

You probably couldn't find it because if I recall correctly it was against the Bears. Ripped it out of Willie Gault's hands and ran it back for the pick 6. I remember my dad turning to me asking " can he do that"? I responded, apparently so Dad.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

You probably couldn't find it because if I recall correctly it was against the Bears. Ripped it out of Willie Gault's hands and ran it back for the pick 6. I remember my dad turning to me asking " can he do that"? I responded, apparently so Dad.

I feel like that may be the one. It was the Raiders though as Gault had gone to Oakland by 90. Appreciate it.

• Like (+1) 1