Greatest Game in Bills History

GreggTX

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1964+AFL+Championship+Game&view=detail&mid=8AC8C7F06B70A76D4CAB8AC8C7F06B70A76D4CAB&FORM=VIRE

The Chargers opened the scoring at Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium with a TD pass from John Hadl, but shortly thereafter (5:52) was the "shot heard 'round the world" which broke a few ribs on the Chargers HOF RB Keith Lincoln and the momentum switched to Buffalo for good as the Bills went on to win their 1st championship 20-7 for HC Lou Saban.

The following year, the Bills would travel to San Diego's Balboa Stadium and defeat the Chargers again (23-0) for their 2nd consecutive AFL Championship.

Argue all you want, but to me, no accomplishments since can rival these back to back championships. There's just something about being the last team standing when all the dust settles that the Bills have never experienced since the mid 60's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1964+AFL+Championship+Game&view=detail&mid=8AC8C7F06B70A76D4CAB8AC8C7F06B70A76D4CAB&FORM=VIRE

The Chargers opened the scoring at Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium with a TD pass from John Hadl, but shortly thereafter (5:52) was the "shot heard 'round the world" which broke a few ribs on the Chargers HOF RB Keith Lincoln and the momentum switched to Buffalo for good as the Bills went on to win their 1st championship 20-7 for HC Lou Saban.

The following year, the Bills would travel to San Diego's Balboa Stadium and defeat the Chargers again (23-0) for their 2nd consecutive AFL Championship.

Argue all you want, but to me, no accomplishments since can rival these back to back championships. There's just something about being the last team standing when all the dust settles that the Bills have never experienced since the mid 60's.

Mike Stratton turned the lights out on the Chargers with that hit.  It was a great day for Bills fans.  I agree with you on these two games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I’m 54, so just missed out on the AFL championship teams. I’ll offer up two games that deserve consideration, though.

The greatest comeback game against the Oilers and the no-punt game against the 49ers.

• Like (+1) 6

For me, (age 54) I am a little too young to remember the AFL years...my earliest Bills memories start in 1972.  For me, it was a different Bills/Chargers game that may be the greatest Bills game I ever saw...it was 1980.  For the first time in my young Bills life, it felt like the Bills had a legit elite team...they went into San Diego and beat a heavily favored Chargers team...I knew, right then, the Bills were winning the Supoer Bowl that year....I love the 1980 Bills...favorite season, for my favorite team....              

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I’m 54, so just missed out on the AFL championship teams. I’ll offer up two games that deserve consideration, though.

The greatest comeback game against the Oilers and the no-punt game against the 49ers.

December 15, 1990 at the Meadowlands, Kelly got hurt and they still beat the full strength Giants

from that moment until that missed FG the Bills were the best team in the NFL. 

Never happened before, probably will never happen again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm 29, so I'm not even really old enough to remember the 90's Bills. One of my earliest Bills memories was the music City miracle game.

Best memory so far for me is Dalton converting on 4th down to break the drought for the Bills.

The few times the Bills beat the Patriots over the past 20 years has also been fun.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Lucky enough to attend both games. Oilers game was insane. 49er's just big play after big play. I think Steve Young has 500+ total yards, Kelly about 400.

• Like (+1) 1

For me personally, the 2 greatest games would be September 8, 1991, Bills roll over the Steelers 52-34 (not ever even that close), Kelly throws 6 TD’s, 4 of them to Don Beebe who earns the moniker “Steeler Killer” that day. Kelly ran out of plays to run so literally diagrammed new ones in the huddle like backyard ball, so goes the legend. Second would be the comeback game Jan 3, 1993. Greatest ever, reg season or playoffs. Infamy! Chew on that Brady, you’ve never gone to 4 SB’s in a row and have never brought your team back from 32 down. :flirt:

59 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm 29, so I'm not even really old enough to remember the 90's Bills. One of my earliest Bills memories was the music City miracle game.

Best memory so far for me is Dalton converting on 4th down to break the drought for the Bills.

The few times the Bills beat the Patriots over the past 20 years has also been fun.

You’ve got a lot of YouTubing to do bro! :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

The Comeback was awesome and I can't think of a win that felt batter... after that pick 6 to start the second half, I really can't tell you why I stayed in front of the television.  So glad I did... that was unbelievable.

row, another game from the 1990 season that made me think the Bills could do anything... the September matchup against Elway and the Broncos.  Three touchdowns in under a minute and a half in the fourth quarter.  It was crazy.

From the standpoint of seeing the Bills click on all cylinders, the 51-3 Championship game against the Raiders.  That game was the best time I've ever had as a fan.

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

For me personally, the 2 greatest games would be September 8, 1991, Bills roll over the Steelers 52-34 (not ever even that close), Kelly throws 6 TD’s, 4 of them to Don Beebe

Oh man, I remember that game too!  Kelly to Beebe was unstoppable.  Good memories!!

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Wow no mention of the October 11, 2009 3-6 loss to the Browns? ;)

What a barn burner, one of Cleveland’s proudest W’s to date I’m sure, and was grist for Sully’s mill for years afterwards. Wasn’t that also a DA-led team for the Browns? (really don’t feel like googling that one)

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

December 15, 1990 at the Meadowlands, Kelly got hurt and they still beat the full strength Giants

from that moment until that missed FG the Bills were the best team in the NFL. 

Never happened before, probably will never happen again.

I was at that game.  When, on my way out, I saw one of the uprights from the tunnel side end zone being pitched over the visitor's side upper deck, I almost crapped myself.  What a game!

• Haha (+1) 1

1.  Being at the Rockpile for the first AFL championship game- one of life's highlights

2.  Opening game 1980 when we finally beat the Fish, and helped carry the goalposts to Ralph.

3.  Monday night opening game in '74 when we beat the Raiders.  Sat right in the corner of the end zone where Rashad caught the pass

• Like (+1) 3