Tremaine Edmunds' Rookie Year

TSNBDSC

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The kid is only 20.  He looked great at times and lost at times.

Fact is at least two rookie linebackers outplayed him and the Bills gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 6 spots to get him.  The 3rd round pick could have been a C, TE, or WR.  Too much to move up 6 spots. But past is the past.

He seemed to get better as the season went along.

Again, he is only 20 and at this point looks like he could be the anchor on defense for years to come.  

Most rookies drafted as high as him do look lost at times & great at times seeing as he is still very young & still growing I'd say the 3rd will be totally worth the move up unlike the Watkins move was .

This kid not only has the Bills staff behind him showing him where to grow within the position but he also has his dad with all his experience to help him along this off season watching tape to tell him where he needs to improve so i believe once that light goes on he will be a monster ! 

2 first round draft picks in one season to solidify the corp of the team for years to come is a feather in Beans cap, He along with McD have a plan & it looks to be the best plan laid out in the Bills recent past ...

He was up and down (as expected) but trending upwards as the season went on. Stoked to see what he'll do next year. It's pretty cool that we had our QB and "Defense QB" simultaneously have their rookie seasons together, excited to see what their next levels are in September.

He got caught up a lot in the motion plays that teams like NO, LAR, and LAC run quite often.  Teams were gashing us on reverses and also fake reverses as he was too often letting linemen get to the second level.  So that is definitely something he'll need to work on.  The other thing was when he was a deep lying backer in Tampa 2 he was late picking up in breaking routes quite often. 

Fixable things - just needs to play faster in those situations.  He doesn't seem to have issues with tackling, play speed, pad level etc.  He has a 2nd gear that is probably near the top of the league for a guy his size, so closing speed isn't an issue.  Seems to have some pass rush ability, but that takes time for a linebacker to learn.  

Overall though he made some plays (2 INTs 2 sacks and 2 FF), and he made some mistakes.  I thought a good first year for a rookie MLB.

I feel like Tremaine's skill set is better suited for him to play on the outside. Is it only me or does he seem a bit too lanky to be playing in the middle? Kid is obviously huge, but has trouble shedding inside blocks and I think that has to do with the fact that he isn't fully there yet from an upper body strength standpoint. 

Good thing is, he's only 20 years old and will certainly bulk up. Regardless, I trust that Mcdermott will figure it out. He truly has star potential. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He makes plays that very few linebackers in the league can make. But as a rookie he also made too many mistakes that no linebacker in the league should make. His run game recognition and discipline needs to take a big step in 2019. The reasons to be positive are: he made a similar jump on his college tape from 2016 to 2017. If 2018 was the equivalent of 2016 in college where it all happens a bit quick for him at times and 2019 in the equivalent of 2017 then we will be well served; week 15 and week 17 were probably his two best games as a Bill (though should be said week 16 was one of his worst).

Youngest starting MLB in the Super Bowl era........

He is still just a pup