Tremaine Edmunds' Rookie Year

TSNBDSC

25 minutes ago, 315Mafia said:

Looking forward to seeing the growth of both he and Allen in year 2 

Slow starts, better finishes. All last year was about making progress. It wasn’t a straight line, but it was real, I believe. Keep it rolling! 

In some of those plays, the unreal height/length/athleticism combo of Edmunds makes the difference in the play. The interception against the Dolphins, for instance. Human beings aren't supposed to be able to MAKE those types of plays. You can tell by watching Tannehil that Edmunds isn't even a consideration for him in that play, but because of Edmunds' wingspan, the result is a turnover instead of a completed pass. 

It's true that Edmunds needs to improve mentally. What 20 year old player doesn't? But his physical gifts give him the POTENTIAL to be an all-time great.

One thing I'd like to see in year two: The development of a 3rd down sub-package that has Edmunds lined up as an edge rusher. He did this a bit in college and was successful. You can see in the last play of the highlight video that he has legitimate pass rushing skills. I think with his size, length, and athleticism, he absolutely has the ability to contribute as a pass rusher to an uncommon degree for a middle linebacker. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

In some of those plays, the unreal height/length/athleticism combo of Edmunds makes the difference in the play. The interception against the Dolphins, for instance. Human beings aren't supposed to be able to MAKE those types of plays. You can tell by watching Tannehil that Edmunds isn't even a consideration for him in that play, but because of Edmunds' wingspan, the result is a turnover instead of a completed pass. 

It's true that Edmunds needs to improve mentally. What 20 year old player doesn't? But his physical gifts give him the POTENTIAL to be an all-time great.

One thing I'd like to see in year two: The development of a 3rd down sub-package that has Edmunds lined up as an edge rusher. He did this a bit in college and was successful. You can see in the last play of the highlight video that he has legitimate pass rushing skills. I think with his size, length, and athleticism, he absolutely has the ability to contribute as a pass rusher to an uncommon degree for a middle linebacker. 

He’s certainly got the tools to come off the edge in some packages. I liked that they sent him up the middle as often as they did...the shortest distance, and all that. If you have a stud you try to use him in as many ways as you can. I think the game will slow down for him next season, and expect some great stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

Slow starts, better finishes. All last year was about making progress. It wasn’t a straight line, but it was real, I believe. Keep it rolling! 

A 20 year old kid learning a new position on the fly in the NFL.  I'm happy with his progress.  Next year he's going to be MUCH more comfortable with the play book and with his role it it.  He's going to react much faster.

• Like (+1) 1

The kid is only 20.  He looked great at times and lost at times.

Fact is at least two rookie linebackers outplayed him and the Bills gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 6 spots to get him.  The 3rd round pick could have been a C, TE, or WR.  Too much to move up 6 spots. But past is the past.

He seemed to get better as the season went along.

Again, he is only 20 and at this point looks like he could be the anchor on defense for years to come.  

• Haha (+1) 1

His sack through the blocker was great. Also his 2nd INT showed his athleticism. He had to explode to the ball and reach behind him with one hand to pull the ball back towards him. Great coverage.

Super excited about our young linebackers.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The kid is only 20.  He looked great at times and lost at times.

Fact is at least two rookie linebackers outplayed him and the Bills gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 6 spots to get him.  The 3rd round pick could have been a C, TE, or WR.  Too much to move up 6 spots.

Isn't a hindsight a fantastic thing.

He makes plays that very few linebackers in the league can make. But as a rookie he also made too many mistakes that no linebacker in the league should make. His run game recognition and discipline needs to take a big step in 2019. The reasons to be positive are: he made a similar jump on his college tape from 2016 to 2017. If 2018 was the equivalent of 2016 in college where it all happens a bit quick for him at times and 2019 in the equivalent of 2017 then we will be well served; week 15 and week 17 were probably his two best games as a Bill (though should be said week 16 was one of his worst).

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He makes plays that very few linebackers in the league can make. But as a rookie he also made too many mistakes that no linebacker in the league should make. His run game recognition and discipline needs to take a big step in 2019. The reasons to be positive are: he made a similar jump on his college tape from 2016 to 2017. If 2018 was the equivalent of 2016 in college where it all happens a bit quick for him at times and 2019 in the equivalent of 2017 then we will be well served; week 15 and week 17 were probably his two best games as a Bill (though should be said week 16 was one of his worst).

And this, to me, is why "complaints" about Edmunds' play this season are so short-sighted.  I've said it in other threads -- the Bills basically got a "free" year of coaching this raw kid and his potential is through the roof.  You've got some posters who want the Bills to take chances on being great, but don't see that them getting Edmunds is exactly that sort of a move.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

He’s certainly got the tools to come off the edge in some packages. I liked that they sent him up the middle as often as they did...the shortest distance, and all that. If you have a stud you try to use him in as many ways as you can. I think the game will slow down for him next season, and expect some great stuff. 

He also showed a knack for forced fumbles.. which would be great off the edge. I wouldn't be opposed to having him play more hybrid OLB/MLB to get an idea of what position he best serves us getting reps in future seasons.

I'd move him to OLB now, but I know their plans for him are currently at MLB

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1