Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TSNBDSC

Tremaine Edmunds' Rookie Year

Recommended Posts

'Nuff Said..... Better than Advertised

Edited by Bob&Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing the growth of both he and Allen in year 2 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, 315Mafia said:

Looking forward to seeing the growth of both he and Allen in year 2 

 

Slow starts, better finishes. All last year was about making progress. It wasn’t a straight line, but it was real, I believe. Keep it rolling! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I don't know..lets ask Scottlaw lol

 

 

Umm, let’s not? 

  • Haha (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In some of those plays, the unreal height/length/athleticism combo of Edmunds makes the difference in the play. The interception against the Dolphins, for instance. Human beings aren't supposed to be able to MAKE those types of plays. You can tell by watching Tannehil that Edmunds isn't even a consideration for him in that play, but because of Edmunds' wingspan, the result is a turnover instead of a completed pass. 

It's true that Edmunds needs to improve mentally. What 20 year old player doesn't? But his physical gifts give him the POTENTIAL to be an all-time great.

One thing I'd like to see in year two: The development of a 3rd down sub-package that has Edmunds lined up as an edge rusher. He did this a bit in college and was successful. You can see in the last play of the highlight video that he has legitimate pass rushing skills. I think with his size, length, and athleticism, he absolutely has the ability to contribute as a pass rusher to an uncommon degree for a middle linebacker. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Logic said:

In some of those plays, the unreal height/length/athleticism combo of Edmunds makes the difference in the play. The interception against the Dolphins, for instance. Human beings aren't supposed to be able to MAKE those types of plays. You can tell by watching Tannehil that Edmunds isn't even a consideration for him in that play, but because of Edmunds' wingspan, the result is a turnover instead of a completed pass. 

It's true that Edmunds needs to improve mentally. What 20 year old player doesn't? But his physical gifts give him the POTENTIAL to be an all-time great.

One thing I'd like to see in year two: The development of a 3rd down sub-package that has Edmunds lined up as an edge rusher. He did this a bit in college and was successful. You can see in the last play of the highlight video that he has legitimate pass rushing skills. I think with his size, length, and athleticism, he absolutely has the ability to contribute as a pass rusher to an uncommon degree for a middle linebacker. 

 

He’s certainly got the tools to come off the edge in some packages. I liked that they sent him up the middle as often as they did...the shortest distance, and all that. If you have a stud you try to use him in as many ways as you can. I think the game will slow down for him next season, and expect some great stuff. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

Slow starts, better finishes. All last year was about making progress. It wasn’t a straight line, but it was real, I believe. Keep it rolling! 

A 20 year old kid learning a new position on the fly in the NFL.  I'm happy with his progress.  Next year he's going to be MUCH more comfortable with the play book and with his role it it.  He's going to react much faster.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid is only 20.  He looked great at times and lost at times.

Fact is at least two rookie linebackers outplayed him and the Bills gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 6 spots to get him.  The 3rd round pick could have been a C, TE, or WR.  Too much to move up 6 spots. But past is the past.

He seemed to get better as the season went along.

Again, he is only 20 and at this point looks like he could be the anchor on defense for years to come.  

  • Meh 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like the last 3-4 plays in that video is what I want to see a lot more of next year. One play he torpedos through the hole to stop the RB. Another play he comes off the edge and destroys the RB to get to the QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His sack through the blocker was great. Also his 2nd INT showed his athleticism. He had to explode to the ball and reach behind him with one hand to pull the ball back towards him. Great coverage.

 

Super excited about our young linebackers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The kid is only 20.  He looked great at times and lost at times.

Fact is at least two rookie linebackers outplayed him and the Bills gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 6 spots to get him.  The 3rd round pick could have been a C, TE, or WR.  Too much to move up 6 spots.

Isn't a hindsight a fantastic thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm even more excited by him than Allen at this point, to be honest. Just because I view Edmunds as a lock.

 

The more confident he becomes, the more we'll see him picking people off and lighting people up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He makes plays that very few linebackers in the league can make. But as a rookie he also made too many mistakes that no linebacker in the league should make. His run game recognition and discipline needs to take a big step in 2019. The reasons to be positive are: he made a similar jump on his college tape from 2016 to 2017. If 2018 was the equivalent of 2016 in college where it all happens a bit quick for him at times and 2019 in the equivalent of 2017 then we will be well served; week 15 and week 17 were probably his two best games as a Bill (though should be said week 16 was one of his worst).

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He makes plays that very few linebackers in the league can make. But as a rookie he also made too many mistakes that no linebacker in the league should make. His run game recognition and discipline needs to take a big step in 2019. The reasons to be positive are: he made a similar jump on his college tape from 2016 to 2017. If 2018 was the equivalent of 2016 in college where it all happens a bit quick for him at times and 2019 in the equivalent of 2017 then we will be well served; week 15 and week 17 were probably his two best games as a Bill (though should be said week 16 was one of his worst).

 

 

And this, to me, is why "complaints" about Edmunds' play this season are so short-sighted.  I've said it in other threads -- the Bills basically got a "free" year of coaching this raw kid and his potential is through the roof.  You've got some posters who want the Bills to take chances on being great, but don't see that them getting Edmunds is exactly that sort of a move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I don't know..lets ask Scottlaw lol

who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

who?

 

Hes a guy who makes excuses for 56 yard veteran QBs but likes to bash Edmunds for some reason 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Augie said:

 

He’s certainly got the tools to come off the edge in some packages. I liked that they sent him up the middle as often as they did...the shortest distance, and all that. If you have a stud you try to use him in as many ways as you can. I think the game will slow down for him next season, and expect some great stuff. 

He also showed a knack for forced fumbles.. which would be great off the edge. I wouldn't be opposed to having him play more hybrid OLB/MLB to get an idea of what position he best serves us getting reps in future seasons.

 

I'd move him to OLB now, but I know their plans for him are currently at MLB

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He could have had 12 turnovers this year.  He gets his hands on a lot of passes and caused 2 other turnovers with hits...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excited for him to make a big jump this year. People love to complain, but just like anything in life, there is a learning curve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The kid is only 20.  He looked great at times and lost at times.

Fact is at least two rookie linebackers outplayed him and the Bills gave up a 3rd round pick to move up 6 spots to get him.  The 3rd round pick could have been a C, TE, or WR.  Too much to move up 6 spots. But past is the past.

He seemed to get better as the season went along.

Again, he is only 20 and at this point looks like he could be the anchor on defense for years to come.  

 

Most rookies drafted as high as him do look lost at times & great at times seeing as he is still very young & still growing I'd say the 3rd will be totally worth the move up unlike the Watkins move was .

 

This kid not only has the Bills staff behind him showing him where to grow within the position but he also has his dad with all his experience to help him along this off season watching tape to tell him where he needs to improve so i believe once that light goes on he will be a monster ! 

 

2 first round draft picks in one season to solidify the corp of the team for years to come is a feather in Beans cap, He along with McD have a plan & it looks to be the best plan laid out in the Bills recent past ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was up and down (as expected) but trending upwards as the season went on. Stoked to see what he'll do next year. It's pretty cool that we had our QB and "Defense QB" simultaneously have their rookie seasons together, excited to see what their next levels are in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He got caught up a lot in the motion plays that teams like NO, LAR, and LAC run quite often.  Teams were gashing us on reverses and also fake reverses as he was too often letting linemen get to the second level.  So that is definitely something he'll need to work on.  The other thing was when he was a deep lying backer in Tampa 2 he was late picking up in breaking routes quite often. 

 

Fixable things - just needs to play faster in those situations.  He doesn't seem to have issues with tackling, play speed, pad level etc.  He has a 2nd gear that is probably near the top of the league for a guy his size, so closing speed isn't an issue.  Seems to have some pass rush ability, but that takes time for a linebacker to learn.  

 

Overall though he made some plays (2 INTs 2 sacks and 2 FF), and he made some mistakes.  I thought a good first year for a rookie MLB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...