How recent history for young quarterbacks looks favorable for Josh Allen entering year No. 2

Heavy Kevi

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I appreciate these Josh Allen growth and comparison threads, but why does it feel like we're trying to convince ourselves that he's good enough? 

A lot of these are coming from National media, ie the people who mostly said Allen was a boom or bust pick. Now some are trying to get on the train early if he is going to be a boom. None of it means a thing. Allen is going to be great. He had the talent, the heart, desire, and I think the brains to be awesome. Not talking anyone into it, least myself.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

How come DaShone Kizer's not on there? He started 15 games.

The list is nicely self-selected. "Active" QBs, so it can ignore all the ones who aren't playing anymore.

I'm reasonably hopeful, I really am, but this list leaves out more than it shows.

I think he didnt have him listed seeing he wasnt a starter his 2nd season. Only 3 games played with 42 attempts...

Edited by snamsnoops

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How come DaShone Kizer's not on there? He started 15 games.

The list is nicely self-selected. "Active" QBs, so it can ignore all the ones who aren't playing anymore.

I'm reasonably hopeful, I really am, but this list leaves out more than it shows.

It felt like Chris stumbled into a stat to back a story he wanted to tell. As mentioned, obviously a qb 10 years in the league became a winner. Then you sort out 7 or more games. Then you frame it as the qb improved and not the natural “after a bad team spent its biggest resource on qb they then pushed the chips in on the rest of the team shortly after. We could easily be a 9 win team and josh flat line next year. 

He he has every potential to take big strides but the stat used was silly for the point trying to be made.

• Like (+1) 1

I have really high expectations of Josh and the Bills next year, especially if Beane can produce. Not as easy as it sounds to draft and sign FA impact players on OL and WRs - not many are available and 50% of the teams are competing for them. They are not on a shelf just waiting to be taken as so many fans seem to imply. But he'll try, and the defense can be as good if not better with Milano, Edmund, White all having more experience, safeties still top notch, etc. Add more experience also by McD and Daboll, and the future is bright. 

Sure the pressure is on. We expect great things as soon as 2019. It might not be realistic but it is what it is. Injuries and bad luck can always derail a season and a good plan but come on, the odds are in the Bills favor for once. And to me Allen is the real deal already. I can't remember being as pumped this century! And the draft and free agents signing have not even started! A LOT rides on Beane, no doubt.

I think it's Boomer Esiason that called Josh "must see TV" and he is right. Dude was an highlight machine and is just plain exciting. He's got desire, charisma, and quite the arm and legs. With wins the media WILL get back on the Bills wagon. Sure a small city is often ignored but a 17 year drought and a losing season by October don't exactly help. Even if you forgot trends, we could see his improvements, and this time he will clearly be #1 and rep with the starters from day one of training camp. Chemistry between QB and receivers is NOT overrated.

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Besides, I'll happily take threads like this any day over the fawning Pats board lite that so many other threads here have become the week after the SB.  

What, you don't "admire the Kraft/Brady relationship"?  That was my favorite of the week.  

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, FLFan said:

What, you don't "admire the Kraft/Brady relationship"?  That was my favorite of the week.  

Lol, definitely a strong contender. Personally I’m thinking the thread discussing this is the greatest Pats squad since the 89 49ers has pulled into the lead, but it’s close I’ll give you...

[update: the thread about Brady’s awesome accent is coming up fast...]:P

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

These aren't statistics so much as trends...and they make logical sense.  1st round rookie QBs are typically drafted by bad teams.  They get experience during their rookie years, and then in year two the team takes a step forward.

This is correct.  Certainly, Josh Allen has to earn his own stripes.  The article is just saying that if he's starting as a rookie, he probably has some talent.  As you observe QBs starting as a rookie are probably on teams that have much room for improvement (Rothlisberger's Steelers being an exception).  In many cases, the team is in a position to make a lot of personnel improvements around a young QB.  Together with the QBs developing skill set and confidence, significant improvement in year two should be the norm, not the exception.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wait, how come Dalton's not on there?

Because he wasn't a 1st round draft pick?

Edit -- I see Russell Wilson was on that list.  But every other QB on there was a 1st rounder, which I think is the point.

Edited by eball

11 hours ago, snamsnoops said:

I think he didnt have him listed seeing he wasnt a starter his 2nd season. Only 3 games played with 42 attempts...

" Nine out of 11 current NFL quarterbacks, who started at least seven games as a rookie, helped raised their team’s won-loss record by an average of three wins (see chart). "

Chris Brown's words, not mine. "current NFL quarterbacks who started at least seven games as a rookie." Doesn't say anything about whether or not he started his second year. But let's say he accidentally left that part out.

Then where's Andy Dalton, who started 16 games in each of his first two years? The Bungles only improved by one and Dalton somehow got lost here.

Where's Dak Prescott, who started his first 32 games and whose team lost four more games his second year?

Where's Joe Flacco who started his first 32 games and watched the Ravens fall from 11- to 9-7?

Not going to bother looking further. This chart is severely broken.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

" Nine out of 11 current NFL quarterbacks, who started at least seven games as a rookie, helped raised their team’s won-loss record by an average of three wins (see chart). "

Chris Brown's words, not mine. "current NFL quarterbacks who started at least seven games as a rookie." Doesn't say anything about whether or not he started his second year. But let's say he accidentally left that part out.

Then where's Andy Dalton, who started 16 games in each of his first two years? The Bungles only improved by one and Dalton somehow got lost here.

Where's Dak Prescott, who started his first 32 games and whose team lost four more games his second year?

Not going to bother looking further. This chart is severely broken.

Again -- look at the list.  Only Russell Wilson isn't a 1st rounder.  The point is (or should be) about highly drafted QBs, not just "rookie QBs who play a lot."

• Like (+1) 1

How many EJ Manuel type careers are left off the list because they are not currently a starter or even in the league?  The real correlation here may be that a QB drafted high enough to start their rookie season had better show something trending upwards in their second season or they will be cycled out of the league.  No longer the "benefit of the doubt" beneficiaries, their lack of second year success probably cost the people that drafted and coached them their jobs.  

I don't have the time to research this but other names like Ponder, Young, Smith, Locker, Gabbert are conveniently excluded from this list.  There are probably lots more.  I don't know why Tanneyhill is excluded.

I see Thurman#1 and No Saint had already made similar points.  It is silly to make your "test group" by excluding unsuccessful, highly drafted QBs and then try to make a conclusion about the trends for success looking favorable for our QB entering his second year.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, eball said:

Yup.  Tommy Maddox started the first two games and went 1-1; they lost to Baltimore in W2.  Big Ben went 13-0 in the regular season, beat the Jets in OT, then lost in the AFC Championship.

This was also the year of that infamous final game in which the Steelers, with nothing to play for, beat the Bills to keep Buffalo out of the playoffs.

I remember those first 2 years they had a ridiculous defense and they just grinded with Bettis (and then Parker).  He wasn't throwing a lot but it worked out - they went far and did well and it was good for his development.