How recent history for young quarterbacks looks favorable for Josh Allen entering year No. 2

Heavy Kevi

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/how-recent-history-for-young-quarterbacks-looks-favorably-for-josh-allen-enterin

This is a Chris Brown article from BuffaloBills.com. Very interesting read:

020719-josh-allen

It was evident to anyone who watched the second half of Josh Allen’s rookie season. The quarterback has the ability to take over a game. Allen made a good first impression on a lot of people in 2018, including those who professionally evaluate performances on a weekly basis. So what should be expected from Josh Allen in his second NFL season?

“I think he’s going to be a great player,” said Sirius XM NFL Radio host Pat Kirwan. “His athleticism, we all knew he had it, but watching him this is rare athletic skill. His ability to give himself a chance to win games with the way he works around the pocket. He can do so many things that a lot of quarterbacks can’t do just to get himself open to extend plays and throw the ball.“You get him the right set of receivers, look out. I think he’s going to take a quantum leap in year two.”

Recent history has shown that most quarterbacks who see significant action in their rookie season advance their team’s fortunes in their second season under center. Nine out of 11 current NFL quarterbacks, who started at least seven games as a rookie, helped raised their team’s won-loss record by an average of three wins (see chart).

Six of those quarterbacks helped their team post a winning record after being under .500 the season prior. Among those signal callers are Mitchell Trubisky, who led the Chicago Bears to the NFC North title and a home Wild Card playoff game just this past season, and Jared Goff, who helped the L.A. Rams win the NFC West title in 2017.

And three of those 11 quarterbacks helped their teams to Super Bowl titles in Ben Roethlisberger (2005), Russell Wilson (2013) and Carson Wentz, who was putting together an MVP type season in 2017, before Nick Foles finished it off in Super Bowl XLII.

Table inside Article
ACTIVE NFL QBs (Team/Rookie season) TEAM WINS IN ROOKIE YEAR TEAM WINS IN SECOND YEAR WIN DIFFERENTIAL SECOND YEAR RESULTS
Blake Bortles (Jac/2014) 3 5 Plus-2 5-11
Jared Goff (LAR/2016) 4 11 Plus-7 11-5 - won NFC West
Eli Manning (NYG/2004) 6 11 Plus-5 11-5 - won NFC East
Marcus Mariota (Ten/2015) 3 9 Plus-6 9-7
Cam Newton (Car/2011) 6 7 Plus-1 7-9
Ben Roelisberger (Pit/2004) 15 11 Minus-4 11-5 - won Super Bowl
Matt Ryan (Atl/2008) 11 9 Minus-2 9-7
Mitchell Trubisky (Chi/2017) 5 12 Plus-7 12-4 - won NFC North
Carson Wentz (Phi/2016) 7 13 Plus-6 13-3 - won Super Bowl
Russell Wilson (Sea/2012) 11 13 Plus-2 13-3 - won Super Bowl
Jameis Winston (TB/2015) 6 9 Plus-3 9-7

Buffalo is coming off a 6-10 season in their quarterback’s rookie year, so what is Josh Allen capable of to flip the Bills script in 2019?

“He plays with a lot of heart and toughness,” said NBC analyst Rodney Harrison. “They’re going to have to do a better job of surrounding him with better talent.”

Bills general manager Brandon Beane is all too aware that he needs to help his budding young quarterback by upgrading the pool of talent on the offensive side of the ball.“I’ve got to do a solid job this offseason to improve our offense,” said Beane. “We know where we need to get stronger, and we’ll look to address all those areas.”

Provided those steps are taken, knowing the Buffalo offense for the first time in five seasons will have the same coordinator, the odds seem good for the Bills to take a sizable step forward in Josh Allen’s second NFL campaign.

“The young man is really fun to work with,” said offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. “He takes his craft really seriously for a young player. I think that we’ve just got to keep grinding it out and really improving in all the stuff that we can.”“He’s not arrived by any means, but I know who he is and he is not complacent,” said Beane of Allen. “This guy is competitive. He wants to get better. He wants to be the best at his craft. He’s got a really good plan. We talked to a lot of the young guys and Josh has a really good plan for the offseason to come back here bigger, stronger, faster and mentally even stronger.”

That’s why Beane is determined to equip Allen with the tools he needs to lift the Buffalo offense that languished near the bottom of the league in total yards, passing and scoring to a level that can help them pull their weight. Coupled with a top five defense, year two for Allen could mirror some of his NFL predecessors when it comes to team improvement.

“He has huge upside,” said former NFL quarterback Jim Miller. “His arm strength is ridiculous. He puts some serious sauce on that ball. If he just hones in and gets his footwork all worked out, man he’s going to be a good one. He’s tough and extremely athletic. He can do things that no quarterback in this league can do."

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by Shotgunner
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Thats crazy. I don’t remember them being one game away from undefeated

Yup.  Tommy Maddox started the first two games and went 1-1; they lost to Baltimore in W2.  Big Ben went 13-0 in the regular season, beat the Jets in OT, then lost in the AFC Championship.

This was also the year of that infamous final game in which the Steelers, with nothing to play for, beat the Bills to keep Buffalo out of the playoffs.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

as much as i like Allen, statistics about other quarterbacks prove nothing about Allen. just like last year when statistics apparently said he will not succeed. both prove nothing about Allen!

These aren't statistics so much as trends...and they make logical sense.  1st round rookie QBs are typically drafted by bad teams.  They get experience during their rookie years, and then in year two the team takes a step forward.

• Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, eball said:

These aren't statistics so much as trends...and they make logical sense.  1st round rookie QBs are typically drafted by bad teams.  They get experience during their rookie years, and then in year two the team takes a step forward.

statistics, trends, same thing. i'm not saying it won't happen, i hope Allen lights it up and i think he will. it's just that articles like this that show trends do a very poor job of showing us anything about an individual. 

the misuse of statistics (trends) by the self professed football experts is rampant.

21 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I appreciate these Josh Allen growth and comparison threads, but why does it feel like we're trying to convince ourselves that he's good enough? 

I view it as more of it being the offseason, which warrants this kind of discussion in the absence of actual ongoing games to discuss. Besides, I'll happily take threads like this any day over the fawning Pats board lite that so many other threads here have become the week after the SB.  

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

11-5 next year. Mark it down. 

If we're good enough to go 11-5, then we should be good enough to go 13-3. Moonshot! :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

How come DaShone Kizer's not on there? He started 15 games.

The list is nicely self-selected. "Active" QBs, so it can ignore all the ones who aren't playing anymore.

I'm reasonably hopeful, I really am, but this list leaves out more than it shows.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

I appreciate these Josh Allen growth and comparison threads, but why does it feel like we're trying to convince ourselves that he's good enough? 

Also feels like we're putting monumental expectations on him that are getting borderline unreasonable.. like next year is MVP or bust or something. I just want improvement. I know his physical abilities from rookie year. Sophomore year I need to see ability to improve and learn over an offseason, work ethic, etc.. Third year I want to be convinced he's the franchise. 5th year MVP? Sure. Matt Ryan and Cam evolved that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1