Closest Comparison to Josh Allen Qb: Mike Reilly, Grey Cup winning QB, Edmonton Eskimos

We all know Josh Allen is a freak. His arm strength is unparalleled, Wonderlic outstanding, pocket presence and scrambling ability is great etc. In fact, I had not yet seen a QB with a style similar to Josh Allen. I think I finally found one!

Mike Reilly - He too came out of an even smaller school (Central Washington - Div 2), had a great Wonderlic (38), has elite arm speed (58) and actually scrambles decently and makes these deep throws on the run.

The great news is that he plays winning football. Won the Grey Cup and was MVP.

Compare these two measurements:

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad Wonderlic
6 ft 3 in
(1.91 m)
214 lb
(97 kg)
4.74 s 1.62 s 2.71 s 4.11 s 6.76 s 32 12 in
(0.83 m)
9 ft 1 in
(2.77 m)
40 (and splits) and vertical from Pro Day, all others from NFL Combine

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad
6 ft 4 78 in
(1.95 m)
237 lb
(108 kg)
33 14 in
(0.84 m)
10 18 in
(0.26 m)
4.75 s 1.59 s 2.74 s 4.40 s 6.90 s 33 12 in
(0.85 m)
9 ft 11 in
(3.02 m)
All values are from NFL Combine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Reilly_(quarterback) (Wonderlic Reference)

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/how-fast-football-throw-nfl-combine-logan-thomas (reference for Mike Reilly throwing speed)

https://www.esks.com/2016/04/14/qb-mike-reilly-highlights/

He has deceptive speed for a QB. I would categorize him as Josh Allen Lite. He is just a bit smaller, maybe a bit slower, wont hurdle a LB etc. but the comparison is uncanny. I first saw the parallel with Josh Allen in the Duke Williams highlights video - but the more I look, the more he resembles Josh Allen. He also has a tendency to scramble and take shots downfield just like JA.

I think the league did not realize his potential all these years (he was always on an NFL roster behind an entrenched veteran). Now after Josh Allen's success, people are starting to look at him. He just had a tryout with Jacksonville. 

There is a reason why Duke Williams signed with us over 8-10 other suitors. His best success came with a Josh Allen like QB.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Don't think you had to look this far to find a comparison.

Carson Wentz and Josh Allen had nearly identical combine numbers. While Wentz has proven a good deal more as a passer, Allen plays faster than his 40 time would indicate.

Either way, these two were pretty much clones physically coming into the league.

Edited by LSHMEAB

18 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Don't think you had to look this far to find a comparison.

Carson Wentz and Josh Allen had nearly identical combine numbers. While Wentz has proven a good deal more as a passer, Allen plays faster than his 40 time would indicate.

Either way, these two were pretty much clones physically coming into the league.

Physically they are similar but have completely different approaches. Allen is way more of a gunslinger - has a Brett Farve approach - while Wentz is far more circumspect. After watching Allen last season, I don’t think the Wentz comparison is fair to Allen.

39 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Mike Reilly is ancient, he is 34 years old. Yes he might make a good backup in the NFL but I dont see a comparison to Josh Allen.  Josh Allen is mostly unproven with a huge ceiling that Reilly doesn't.

I learned one thing, Logan Thomas has a strong arm than Mike Reilly

Mike Reilly will never be the rushing threat JA is. So he may not make it in the NFL (and as you point out - he is old). But their passing tendencies are remarkably similar.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Physically they are similar but have completely different approaches. Allen is way more of a gunslinger - has a Brett Farve approach - while Wentz is far more circumspect. After watching Allen last season, I don’t think the Wentz comparison is fair to Allen.

I don't know about all that. Wentz had no problem going downfield before the injury. Also had no problem tucking and running.

I really feel like people forget just how good Wentz can be when healthy.

23 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't know about all that. Wentz had no problem going downfield before the injury. Also had no problem tucking and running.

I really feel like people forget just how good Wentz can be when healthy.

What part of my post makes you think I have forgotten how good Wentz is (was)? All I said is that he does not have a gunslinger mentality and hence is different from Josh Allen. Just exaggerating to make my point, you can think of my post as Allen : Wentz is same as Farve : Peyton Manning. Will that satisfy you that I am not dissing Wentz?

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

What part of my post makes you think I have forgotten how good Wentz is (was)? All I said is that he does not have a gunslinger mentality and hence is different from Josh Allen. Just exaggerating to make my point, you can think of my post as Allen : Wentz is same as Farve : Peyton Manning. Will that satisfy you that I am not dissing Wentz?

Fair enough. I know nothing about this Canadian guy, so I'll grant you that. It's just hard for me to believe that a journeyman CFL QB is the best comparison to JA

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Fair enough. I know nothing about this Canadian guy, so I'll grant you that. It's just hard for me to believe that a journeyman CFL QB is the best comparison to JA

He is not just a journeyman CFL QB. He is the best in that league. And that is the league that gave the NFL Kurt Warner. Johnny Football Manziel - NFL draft first rounder -  was struggling to stay in that league. And Reilly is a winner despite not having all the physical tools of Josh Allen. That makes me feel good about having Allen.

The comparison was not intended as a diss to JA, which is the way it is being taken. Reilly is old now - but it is quite likely he didnt get the right breaks in the NFL when he was young. Kurt Warner became NFL darling only because of a freak Trent Green injury.

35 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

He is not just a journeyman CFL QB. He is the best in that league. And that is the league that gave the NFL Kurt Warner. Johnny Football Manziel - NFL draft first rounder -  was struggling to stay in that league. And Reilly is a winner despite not having all the physical tools of Josh Allen. That makes me feel good about having Allen.

The comparison was not intended as a diss to JA, which is the way it is being taken. Reilly is old now - but it is quite likely he didnt get the right breaks in the NFL when he was young. Kurt Warner became NFL darling only because of a freak Trent Green injury.

The title of your thread was.....? 

The closest comparison to JA was Reilly. 

Define exactly how his "style is similar" to Allen. Because I for one can't find even a remote similarity in playing style between the two

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

What is the point of this thread?

OP is excited that Duke Williams picked Buffalo because theinks Allen and Reilly are similar?

OP is excited about Allen because he resembles a very older, slower, smaller, less physically gifted Canadian QB?

The CFL didn't "give us" Kurt Warner.  He never played there (no team wanted him).  It was the AFL.