Do you have to deal with dirtbags?

RochesterRob

14 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

"My SIL's inlaws are dirt bags."

You're her in-law.

giphy.gif

Actually, she looks at me as more of a brother in that I am a part of that family rather than an outsider.  Sorry that the inlaw description can be a little wide.  If it helps then we will say her husband's family.  But if we need to reach for cheap jokes............................................................................................

19 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Pics?

I think that you want the guy over on PPP who is talking about his wife making big tips tending bar.  My wife has not talked about her money makers in a long time so I am thinking that is off limits to talk about now never mind pics.

6 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

The wife was in bed with me last night and the subject went to her sister.  MY SIL has been saddled to her dirtbag inlaws for many years for a variety of reasons which I am not free to name here.  It made me angry then sad to hear the latest saga as to how her inlaws are sticking it to her.  I know that dirtbags don't give a darn as to their conduct but when it is so outrageous and affects so many it is amazing that they have not been run out of town.  My SIL is not perfect but it's a good thing that I don't live in that town because there would be definite pushback.

If you are hanging around on this board by default you deal with dirtbags.... duh ..... :D 

6 hours ago, teef said:

you'd be surprised!

i'm actually extremely lucky when it comes to the in laws.  when they're in town, i even tend to spend more time with them than my own family.  hell, my sister in law married a wealthy guy who recently gave me a rolex as a thank you.

He gave you the Rolex when you left? Just an educated guess...

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

It is an awesome story but I don't want any blowback for the SIL.  I'll brainstorm to see if I can figure out how to drop some tasty morsels.  Right now I am a little overwhelmed with anger.

Are the perps perhaps located in Cincinnati? 

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Medicaid....and yes, large screen TV and all the luxuries.   Brother in law is an even bigger POS.  Able bodied individual who refuses to work full time.  My father even offered him a job as a laborer doing construction earning $30 plus per hour and benefits, and he never even responded.   SIL pregnant with their 3rd child presently.  Uggh....

Sounds like you got the good pick of the litter. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Medicaid....and yes, large screen TV and all the luxuries.   Brother in law is an even bigger POS.  Able bodied individual who refuses to work full time.  My father even offered him a job as a laborer doing construction earning $30 plus per hour and benefits, and he never even responded.   SIL pregnant with their 3rd child presently.  Uggh....

Don't worry, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez will be ensuring his financial security!

Well I just found out a friend of mine has been lying about being sober.  And to add to that....he’s been asking another friend for my ex-wife’s number.  He obviously didn’t give it to him and called me to let me know.

He made jokes about another friends brother who died last year and his dad going thru cancer this year.

Not sure how I should approach this being that he relapsed and I don’t know what mental state he’s in that caused him to use again.

Crazy how I just got off the phone and saw this thread.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well I just found out a friend of mine has been lying about being sober.  And to add to that....he’s been asking another friend for my ex-wife’s number.  He obviously didn’t give it to him and called me to let me know.

He made jokes about another friends brother who died last year and his dad going thru cancer this year.

Not sure how I should approach this being that he relapsed and I don’t know what mental state he’s in that caused him to use again.

I’ll be brief and just say you should never be surprised by someone who is not staying sober....lying about being sober. It just goes with the territory. I won’t tackle the rest of that tonight, and maybe ever. 

Try not to judge, it will only drive you crazy. People have all kind of %$#* going on in their heads. They can’t make sense of it, so you never will either. 

Good luck. 

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would tell him you're coming over. Pick him up, drive him to the nearest treatment facility, and that's it for now. Addiction is no joke and you can only do so much.

5 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I would tell him you're coming over. Pick him up, drive him to the nearest treatment facility, and that's it for now. Addiction is no joke and you can only do so much.

I've talked to about 3 friends this morning and I think we're going to make a move soon.  Something needs to happen soon.

I deal with a lot of dirtbags, and it helps if you figure out their decision making process. That way, you won't be surprised, and will know why someone got screwed.  Most decisions are made to benefit someone, maybe your SIL is just low on the priority list. The trick is to find a way to move her higher, so someone else gets shafted.

Rarely do you find someone who just wants to see the world burn.

2 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I deal with a lot of dirtbags, and it helps if you figure out their decision making process. That way, you won't be surprised, and will know why someone got screwed.  Most decisions are made to benefit someone, maybe your SIL is just low on the priority list. The trick is to find a way to move her higher, so someone else gets shafted.

Rarely do you find someone who just wants to see the world burn.

I agree with a fair amount of what you are saying.  Having met her father-in-law I would say she is of no priority to that family.  No mincing words that man is a turd.  Unfortunately, that is a tough lesson to learn at the school of hard knocks.  You are absolutely right in that most decisions are designed to benefit given individuals.  Anyways, this was the sort of contribution was looking for even if it did not provide the necessary answer. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've talked to about 3 friends this morning and I think we're going to make a move soon.  Something needs to happen soon.

I just watched a documentary on alcoholics, which if I remember correctly was on HBO.  It was quite the learning experience.   I didn't realize that the body could become so dependent on alcohol, that it would actually kill you if you abruptly quit.  It is best done under the care of a physician.