Reps pushing back on Trump's NAFTA/USMCA

Several Republican senators also said they oppose any effort to impose up to 25 percent tariffs on imported cars and trucks on national security grounds. The Commerce Department must deliver the results of its investigation to the White House by Feb. 17.

Senator Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican, said the metal tariffs are hurting automakers. “They are making it harder to build cars in Tennessee,” he said Wednesday. “You can’t build more cars and have more jobs in the United States if you have the highest priced steel.”

Praise Jesus there may still be a few free traders left in the Republican Party. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-nafta/republican-senators-to-trump-do-not-terminate-nafta-idUSKCN1PV2PJ

Just another lie of Trump's crumbles. This clown is the great deal maker? 

His whole life has been getting money for nothing, first from his father then the Russians and blowing it all and needing more. He doesn't understand not getting everything handed to him no strings attached. See the wall fiasco as another example. He is an incompetent idiot with a big mouth. 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Just another lie of Trump's crumbles. This clown is the great deal maker? 

His whole life has been getting money for nothing, first from his father then the Russians and blowing it all and needing more. He doesn't understand not getting everything handed to him no strings attached. See the wall fiasco as another example. He is an incompetent idiot with a big mouth. 

I would think you'd like Trump's NAFTA II. Protecting American jobs through tariffs is a Dem idea!

You could argue that the tariff on light trucks, instituted way back in the LBJ days, has been amazingly successful for the United States over the long run.  Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge still have a monopoly on the pickup truck market despite Toyota and Nissan taking their shots.  

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

You could argue that the tariff on light trucks, instituted way back in the LBJ days, has been amazingly successful for the United States over the long run.  Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge still have a monopoly on the pickup truck market despite Toyota and Nissan taking their shots.  

Successful for ... Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Can't say as consumers that we win. Not even sure if the companies win in the world market as tariffs cut against them too.

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

Successful for ... Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Can't say as consumers that we win. Not even sure if the companies win in the world market as tariffs cut against them too.

Welp, if you think that you can build a truck for less and not give yourself a return along with having money for R & D then be my guest.

2 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Of course. What does this have to do with free trade? I don’t begrudge anyone their profit. 

You just said successful for Ford, Chevy, and Dodge (it's Ram now by the way).  Which is to say you expect that those three will be successful.  Why say that and at the same time say that business will fall off drastically?  Both can't be true can they?  Clarify your thought process so I am not left to guess as to what your are trying to say.

You've chosen to ignore content by BeginnersMind.

You've chosen to ignore content by Tiberius. 

humble and truly grateful my eyes did not get exposed to what must have been the most worthless crap ever in those 3 straight postings...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

humble and truly grateful my eyes did not get exposed to what must have been the most worthless crap ever in those 3 straight postings...

Again? Lol, isn't this like the seventh time this nut bag has put me on ignore? Yawn. 

19 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You just said successful for Ford, Chevy, and Dodge (it's Ram now by the way).  Which is to say you expect that those three will be successful.  Why say that and at the same time say that business will fall off drastically?  Both can't be true can they?  Clarify your thought process so I am not left to guess as to what your are trying to say.

dp made the comment that tariffs were successful for the United States. I was countering by limiting the set from his United States to those three companies. We were talking about how tariffs harm (my position) or help (his position). 

We weren't talking about how much goes into building an automobile or how they are entitled to make profits. 

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I started a thread and you clicked into it. Good work.

48 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Insofar as choice, I'd agree we don't.  VW has a nice mid-size pickup you'll never see on a street here.  

However, I feel the tariffs help keep these companies in business and that generates jobs, advances in automotive research and development and a source of American automotive technology for the military. 

There isn't a country in the world that does not tariff something to protect its automotive industries.  The concept that there is free trade in the automotive industry is a myth, largely because the sale of automobiles is just the retail face of a much larger defense contractor, that if needed, will build all the tanks and vehicles a war may need.  

That's why the government ultimately protects them.  Sure, the jobs are nice but it's really about that if the US finds itself in a war, it needs American resources available to build stuff, and lots of it.    A USA without American car plants can't build armor.  Can you imagine needing 100 battle tanks in six months and you have to rely on Elon Musk to do that or the benevolance of of a foreign entitty to build them for you?  

An interesting example - The M1 Abrams tank contract was awarded to Chrysler Defense...who beat out General Motors. 

10 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Insofar as choice, I'd agree we don't.  VW has a nice mid-size pickup you'll never see on a street here.  

However, I feel the tariffs help keep these companies in business and that generates jobs, advances in automotive research and development and a source of American automotive technology for the military. 

There isn't a country in the world that does not tariff something to protect its automotive industries.  The concept that there is free trade in the automotive industry is a myth, largely because the sale of automobiles is just the retail face of a much larger defense contractor, that if needed, will build all the tanks and vehicles a war may need.  

That's why the government ultimately protects them.  Sure, the jobs are nice but it's really about that if the US finds itself in a war, it needs American resources available to build stuff, and lots of it.    A USA without American car plants can't build armor.  Can you imagine needing 100 battle tanks in six months and you have to rely on Elon Musk to do that or the benevolance of of a foreign entitty to build them for you?  

An interesting example - The M1 Abrams tank contract was awarded to Chrysler Defense...who beat out General Motors. 

tibs and begs will waste all your energy, it never gets anywhere

no sense in trying to discuss anything with them.....

hear me now, believe me later....

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Beginners mind reaffirming Tibs TDS is all of the lolzzzzz

A dash of Russia brings it all together ??

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

with each small gang of convenience store shoplifters i had to monitor for a summer job, they usually sent out someone who acted totally clueless and stupid, he'd drop a dozen eggs in the aisle, then when the poor clerk went to see the others would raid the smokes and phone cards

the out front man would say "i can't believe you'd associate me with those guys" over 10 seconds, like he had an IQ of 15.

that's Tibs and Beg on here....

don't bother with them

22 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You and row33 enjoying the kiddy table? That’s good. Adults are talking about free trade and tariffs. Not low enough level for you. 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Free Trade increases the wealth of everyone. I'd like to create the United States of North America. 

and Trump has stated that he is for free trade as well. he has offered to remove all tariffs if reciprocated. the problem is that there is no free trade. Trump is striving to remove the disadvantages we have suffered for a long time.

11 minutes ago, Foxx said:

and Trump has stated that he is for free trade as well. he has offered to remove all tariffs if reciprocated. the problem is that there is no free trade. Trump is striving to remove the disadvantages we have suffered for a long time.

why bother?