Sal C: Bellicheck looking for McVay on the sidelines before the rams first drive - possible "tell"?

Reed83HOF

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here was the secret plan: Rush the QB and cover the receivers.

Brilliant! Belicheck is a genius. I can’t figure out why the Bills haven’t tried that.

the Pats have about 3 totally distinct gameplans for each of their O and "D"

the one with the D-line bullrushing like mofos was very very effective in the 3 playoff games, it hadn't been unleashed (from my viewing) since 2013 (seriously)????

and they joked around all regular season so gametape couldn't give you a true picture.

they ran the ball 30+ straight times in a playoff game a few years ago, they might just pass the ball 25 straight times as well, 3 faceless RBs were inserted at random and very effective when called upon

Hand signals are a part of the pro scouting department. They aren’t supposed to study them but they all do. Teams have pro scouts go to games of upcoming opponents, sit in the stands, and study the hand signals. Nothing new and definitely not just them. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

in another situation, the reigning world chess champion is one of the least obsessed with theory and rigid system, an antidote to the computer-driven mania of the game today, he just goes out and beats you, either destroying you or adjusting his tactics and strategy to what you are bringing today, and loves to attack, almost unheard of after the last 100 years

Edited by row_33
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bobobonators said:

66yr Bill isnt stealing any “tells” from Mcvay at over 50yds away when he cant even find him on the sidelines to begin with (understandably so). 

Then why would he care where McVey is? Why the need to spot?

Of course he’s looking for signs, they all do it.

Its not difficult to see hand signals from 50 yards away. Bills lasik surgery was successful.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Then why would he care where McVey is? Why the need to spot?

Of course he’s looking for signs, they all do it.

Its not difficult to see hand signals from 50 yards away. Bills lasik surgery was successful.

The new trendy thing to do is just say the Patriots are great. Discussing what they do differently and how they approach the game is taboo. 

21 minutes ago, turftoe said:

If I were an NFL coach and BB texted me, I would worry about some kind of spying or fishing program now encrypted on my phone.

some visiting coaches at the Oakland-ACC would scream into the airvents because they were sure Al Davis was listening to everything.

10 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

McDermott uses clapping to signal plays.  He just happens to do it immediately after the play.

no matter how great or dog-poopy the play was

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It would be absurd if there was another reason to look at him. McVay wouldn't have even noticed being stared down from that distance.

One thing you can be sure of is that Belichick in that situation isn't wasting time with something irrelevant. He's doing this for a reason and I can't think of another good reason to find McVay on the sidelines.

Tells don't have to be tiny little things like the trembling of an eyelid at the poker table. Maybe he makes eye contact with one coach if it's a run call and another if it's a pass, for example. Some things might be very easy to see from  far away.

Bingo.  Just like at the poker table, being able to read your opponent is a huge advantage.

It's just more evidence of what I've always thought -- 90% of NE's success is Belichick.  He is miles ahead of his peers in terms of planning and preparation.  This game may have been the finest example.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have posted a link a few times ...

Sean McVay: Bill Belichick 'basically texted me after every one of our games' this season

"This is wild: This season, he has basically texted me after every one of our games. After we beat Minnesota in September, he texted, ‘Man, you guys are really explosive and impressive and fun to watch. Congratulations—keep it rolling.’ For him to even take the time to say congrats, it’s pretty cool," said McVay of his relationship with Belichick.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/sean-mcvay-bill-belichick-basically-texted-me-after-every-one-our-games-season

No.  He will do whatever he can to win a game. 

Notice how everyone who deals with Belichick, Brady, etc always talks well of them. It's a ploy. Keep your friends close and enemies closer. You can bet McVay let his guard down.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Notice how everyone who deals with Belichick, Brady, etc always talks well of them. It's a ploy. Keep your friends close and enemies closer. You can bet McVay let his guard down.

i would hope people wishing another paycheck in football would not say anything provoking or nasty about anyone else drawing a blessed paycheck from football

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chris66 said:

He did the same thing against Seattle. Just before the Butler interception Carrol thought he was going to take a timeout. When Bill didnt he had to scramble.

All made possible just by looking across the field to see what Pete was doing.

This...   one of the football life episodes dove quite well into how that INT play evolved and his pattern recognition of the hawk sideline behavior dictating his decision real time. 

he watches what they are doing, who’s talking to whom which coaches and players are where.

His game time awareness is focus on more than the green between the sidelines. And clearly it’s important enough that he doesn’t delegate it. 

As strongly as I don’t like them, they are irrefutably great at their jobs. 

I think there are legitimate reasons for this. 

I believe it was against the Cowboys that the Rams had a huge 4th and short play and McVay went all the way down to one end of the sideline and they ended up calling a play-action pass when most thought it was going to be a run. 

This was also a long time ago and I don't know why I remember this but I do. In that infamous loss we had to the Cowboys on Monday night over 10 years ago, we had a big play on 3rd and long in the 4th quarter. We had a really conservative gameplan all night and had run the ball in similar situations but on this play, I remember Jauron watching really intently and had his hands on his knees, about as intense as you'll ever see him. And it ended up being a pass play that Trent got picked off on. But I 100% remember almost knowing that play was going to be a pass just because of Jauron's body language. 

There is something to all that, I believe it. 

12 hours ago, bobobonators said:

66yr Bill isnt stealing any “tells” from Mcvay at over 50yds away when he cant even find him on the sidelines to begin with (understandably so). 

Right? And even if he was trying to do so in-game why would it matter? Baseball teams usually have a player or coach designated to try and steal the opposing teams signs, and the runner on second always checks the catchers signs and relays to the batter. It's called competitive sports.

Now if he gathered evidence of opposing teams playcall signs in an illegal manner, go get him.

Wonder if the Rams did the real walk-through offsite and a fake one at the stadium like the Eagles.

Pederson's paranoia, secrecy and being less predictable may have been the deciding factor in that game.

• Like (+1) 2