Sal C: Bellicheck looking for McVay on the sidelines before the rams first drive - possible "tell"?

Reed83HOF

While I despise cheating generally, the NFL has traditionally been ok with anything that can be done by humans.

Coaches routinely hold play cards up in front of their face when making calls, to avoid being lip read.

Body language, in respect of how players set themselves, has given teams advantages over the years, whether it is something that gives away what D is coming, or whether it's going to be run or pass. Imho, this sort of thing is fair game.

If McVay needed to use hand signals to Goff for anything, then that falls within the compass. The more interesting thing would be if there's film that shows Belicheck watching McVay on the vast majority of the Rams offensive snaps. If he is, then you can probably guarantee he's found a 'tell'.

As others have pointed out, the best way to beat Belicheck, is by doing the unexpected, regularly, and in both halves of the game.

Ultimately, teams need to have play books that are very adaptable, and the players need to know how to adapt quickly. The Patsies can, and do this, regularly, and it's why they are such a tough team to beat.

• Like (+1) 1

If thats the case then Id tip my hat to BB and crew for putting that much research and film study.  Now an official near the LA huddle was texting him the play call, I would have an issue with that. 

I for one am done wasting so much effort following a team that is not my own.  We have become a sad bunch of stalkers (self included).  

Now Ill probably be whining about them tomorrow Lol.

• Like (+1) 3

He did the same thing against Seattle. Just before the Butler interception Carrol thought he was going to take a timeout. When Bill didnt he had to scramble.

All made possible just by looking across the field to see what Pete was doing.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Belichick has a entire dept dedicated to intelligence gathering led by Ernie Adams & now being assisted by Sean Harrington an MIT programmer who turned down jobs at Google & Amazon. 

https://slate.com/culture/2019/01/ernie-adams-berj-najarian-sean-harrington-nick-caserio-patriots.html

Meanwhile it seems the Bills have guys crunching numbers on abacuses.

If you say Belichick, whose father was a 30 year scout for the Naval Academy and wrote a infamous book on it, doesn’t treat this as war you’re missing the point. Belichick’s entire operation is based on studying the opponent & out prepping them. 

The only way you beat a superior coached team is knowing they are already know your every hand. You have to play different & must hit them unconventionally.

Installing gadget plays is nice, but so to is declaring war on his best players & hitting them late after the pass has left their hand. Brady never gets hit, so why not crush him 3 seconds after it’s out? Why not grab Brady and body slam his head into the field turf? Why not accidentally ‘trip’ and take a shot at his unguarded right knee? Why not have two guys hold up Edelman & have another guy take out his surgically repaired knee? 

To beat Belichick you need to have a long game approach & also an asymmetrical approach. Hindering his plans by taking out his best soliders is a good plan. 

Everything must be different because if you give this guy two weeks to prepare and you run the same stuff you are dead. 

I think everything about this post -- minus the intentionally injuring players stuff -- is pretty spot on.

I tend to believe the Patriots will push the boundaries of ethical behavior and NFL rules to get any edge possible but in the end it doesn't seem to matter how you won but rather if you won that counts.  McVay lost because his QB was ineffective and tentative while for some incomprehensible reason (and an explanation which didn't make any sense to me) he decided on a strategy to leave his best offensive weapon on the sidelines most of the game.  Gurley had a total of 11 touches, 10 rushes and 1 catch.  Maybe Belichick played Jedi mind tricks on McVay suggesting "do not play Todd Gurley"?  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Is this the part where we pretend only the Patriots look for any competitive advantage they can get?

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Belichick has a entire dept dedicated to intelligence gathering led by Ernie Adams & now being assisted by Sean Harrington an MIT programmer who turned down jobs at Google & Amazon. 

https://slate.com/culture/2019/01/ernie-adams-berj-najarian-sean-harrington-nick-caserio-patriots.html

If you say Belichick, whose father was a 30 year scout for the Naval Academy and wrote a infamous book on it, doesn’t treat this as war you’re missing the point. Belichick’s entire operation is based on studying the opponent & out prepping them. 

The only way you beat a superior coached team is knowing they are already know your every hand. You have to play different & must hit them unconventionally.

Installing gadget plays is nice, but so to is declaring war on his best players & hitting them late after the pass has left their hand. Brady never gets hit, so why not crush him 3 seconds after it’s out? Why not grab Brady and body slam his head into the field turf? Why not accidentally ‘trip’ and take a shot at his unguarded right knee? Why not have two guys hold up Edelman & have another guy take out his surgically repaired knee? 

To beat Belichick you need to have a long game approach & also an asymmetrical approach. Hindering his plans by taking out his best soliders is a good plan. 

Everything must be different because if you give this guy two weeks to prepare and you run the same stuff you are dead. 

There you go...

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If thats the case then Id tip my hat to BB and crew for putting that much research and film study.  Now an official near the LA huddle was texting him the play call, I would have an issue with that. 

I for one am done wasting so much effort following a team that is not my own.  We have become a sad bunch of stalkers (self included).  

Now Ill probably be whining about them tomorrow Lol.

I agree 100% to this. 

My guess is Bill had someone watch every LA game to find out how McVay singled in stuff after they turn the helmet mics off.  They captured everything McVay does and compared it to what then happened on the field.  They then assembled a cheat sheet IDing the key signals McVay used and gave Bill a full report.  Hell it might be as simple as where McVay stands on the sideline or who McVay stands next to.  What awes me is the attention to detail this kind of activity represents. 

But the question is would anyone call this cheating?  IMO it's not.  In fact it's really no different then a LB tipped off about which way a run is going because film study showed that the blocking FB tipped things off by leaning slightly.  Or a DB who is tipped off by the way a receiver stands when the ball is coming out quick to him.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Belichick pry sent him texts all year about the need for balance with his running backs.  Just making sure he got that pregame one.

I have posted a link a few times ...

Sean McVay: Bill Belichick 'basically texted me after every one of our games' this season

"This is wild: This season, he has basically texted me after every one of our games. After we beat Minnesota in September, he texted, ‘Man, you guys are really explosive and impressive and fun to watch. Congratulations—keep it rolling.’ For him to even take the time to say congrats, it’s pretty cool," said McVay of his relationship with Belichick.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/sean-mcvay-bill-belichick-basically-texted-me-after-every-one-our-games-season

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Has BB earned himself the benefit of the doubt when it comes to never pushing any boundaries or not being willing to break the rules, one has to ask? If the answer is “no,” then there must be some kind of an unconventional nefarious angle, otherwise why would he be so concerned about McVay’s whereabouts at that moment? If the answer is “yes,” then he must’ve just been trying to be neighborly and flash McVay one of his customary in game smiles.

Also seemed like “Josh” was helping with spotting duties, but hey, I’m sure nothing to see here. 

No.  He will do whatever he can to win a game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well if it was a tell then where is the audio of Bill saying, guys i just saw him touch his left ear, its a run to the left?

There may not be, but if everybody on the staff knew the "tells" then there would be no reason to say it out loud for the cameras and microphones to hear. That would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it? I mean there's nothing illegal about it... I just wouldn't want the world to know that I know.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, CLTbills said:

There may not be, but if everybody on the staff knew the "tells" then there would be no reason to say it out loud for the cameras and microphones to hear. That would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?

Right. So not only do opposing coaches need to change their tendencies on the field they need to change their own personal behaviors.

Simple solution: Have McD drink a bottle of tequila before opening kickoff. Get loose out there.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Ask yourself, is the Patriots defense that good this year to hold McVeigh's offense to only 3 points?  Now everyone can have a bad game.  I admit this clip seems very far fetched but they have been caught doing things against the rules in the past. 

Watching the other coach across the field isn’t against the rules

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Ask yourself, is the Patriots defense that good this year to hold McVeigh's offense to only 3 points?  Now everyone can have a bad game.  I admit this clip seems very far fetched but they have been caught doing things against the rules in the past. 

What's "against the rules" about it? 

How is this any different from a LB calling out a play at the LOS because he watched film and studied his butt off, and picked up on a tell from the QB or RB?

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Shouldnt you be building your Defense in NY Gregg?

8 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

No one has less respect for Belicheck than me but this is an absurd thought. He might be playing mind games and trying to stare him down but anything further is specualting for the sake speculating.

I think I might have less respect for Belichick than you lol

I didn't watch the super bowl, my only questions would be did the communication go out in Goff's helmet where he needed to look to Mcvay for the plays? My next question would be if the comm's did go out is it a rules violation for a coach from the Patriots sideline to try to decipher it. 

I've often thought about the desire to believe in conspiracy theories and how psychologically appealing they are.

This thread reinforces that people will believe almost anything supported with a shred of truth if it aligns with what they want reality to be. 

• Like (+1) 1