D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, but the battle is bigger than that.  Only Cole and Brown (barring injuries) are 100% locks and Foster is pretty close.  After that, all roster spots up for grabs.  

Zay, Duke, Sills, Roberts, McKenzie will all be competing for 3 roster spots.  

You are hearing this here first:  Duke and Sills may both make the final 53.  

I think Roberts is a lock as well. You've got Zay, Duke, McKenzie, Sills, fighting for 2.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:45 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

Just closely watched these highlights. The guy is arguably a more complete receiver than anyone coming out of college this year. He has speed (why did he run only a 4.72 at the combine?), separation, elevation, ability to catch in traffic and is elusive enough to rack up YAC. Almost every throw he catches at its highest point (except for the one where he was unsighted and it hits his helmet - he still comes up with it). Enjoy!! Very Very underrated signing by the Bills - could have a shot at our #1 if he has really matured from his college days.

https://www.cover1.net/farhan-lalji-of-tsn-discusses-bills-signing-of-wr-duke-williams/

Report from a Vancouver reporter who watched him all year. 8-10 teams wanted him - but he chose Buffalo for the fit. Highlights fit with josh Allen due to catch radius and high pointing the catch.

Coaches from CFL lauded his humility, focus hard work etc.

looks good. qb also looks like a superior passer to anything the bills have had in ages.

22 minutes ago, without a drought said:

If highlight reels and CFL stats actually meant something.

his college stats aren't bad either considering the QB throwing him passes is a DB in the CFL now 

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agree to disagree.  McKenzie is a playmaker and has a good shot to make this team.  Especially if DiMarco is cut

I was able to watch exactly 0 live games while stationed overseas, so I can't refute or agree with your statement....but if McKenzie's a playmaker then was he simply underutilized last year (179 yards)?  If we're just looking at receiving stats, then how does DiMarco's 62 yards receiving affect McKenzie making the team?  If they're looking for pass-catching running backs and production, then I think TJ Yeldon's 487 receiving yards actually puts them both at risk.

Edited by nikuman

9 hours ago, c-troop said:

However, it's obvious that they aren't satisfied with what we had last year, and bringing back DiMarco and McKenzie would be treadmilling the back end of our skill positions. 

I have seen nothing to indicate they are unhappy with DiMarco other than fan griping and speculation and the minute the brain trust starts listening to fan opinions is when they should be replaced.

39 minutes ago, nikuman said:

I was able to watch exactly 0 live games while stationed overseas, so I can't refute or agree with your statement....but if McKenzie's a playmaker then was he simply underutilized last year (179 yards)?  If we're just looking at receiving stats, then how does DiMarco's 62 yards receiving affect McKenzie making the team?  If they're looking for pass-catching running backs and production, then I think TJ Yeldon's 487 receiving yards actually puts them both at risk.

Mckenzie was on the Denver practice squad 1/2 the season and wasn’t acquire by the Bills until nov 5th. It’s obvious to anyone, he has great burst and home run ability.  His problem (and it’s a big one) is fumbles.  

I’m not one that thinks each player is only on the team for one reason.  To fill one particular role. Some players, yes.  Everyone? Maybe, I just don’t think so.  If you put mckenzie out there with brown and Foster, you have 3 players that can take it the distance at any moment.  Not many teams have that kind of explosiveness. 

I just think mckenzie can help us win games....but he has to fix the fumblitis. Not sure if that possible, but I’m rooting for him

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Roch-A-Bill said:

The word is David Sills can't beat press coverage - judging by the way Duke Williams famously ran over a DB in the CFL, doubt that's as much of a concern.

You get a head start in the CFL that you don’t in the NFL...

beating press coverage really doesn’t have much to do with strength or size... WRs who win off the LOS on press coverage do it with technique and a variety of releases 

NFL corners are way too good to just rely on strength 

Sills and Anthony Johnson both have below average releases rn which is definitely a huge part of their fall

Edited by Buffalo716

On 2/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, Logic said:

I was excited that the Bills signed Williams, and I have high hopes that he can find a way to make the roster and contribute. HOWEVER...

We need to temper our expectations a bit. All the jump-ball and high-point ability in the world won't do squat if he can't separate from defenders. For evidence of this phenomenon, go watch some James Hardy or Dez Lewis "highlights".

I think separation is a bit over used and misunderstood on this board. 

I’m sure we can all agree that Anquan Boldin was a very good NFL WR and yet he posted a 4.7 40 time. 

Point is a good route runner can get “separation”. 

• Like (+1) 1

I read this Patriots blurb and thought it was relevant to Duke and the Bills.

• Teddy Bruschi thinks the Patriots might have been led to draft N’Keal Harry in the first round because of the physical presence Josh Gordon brought to the team last year, ESPN’s Mike Reiss writes. “They get him last year, put a 6-3, 225-pound target out there and see what a great piece it was for them, how great it was for Tom Brady,” Bruschi theorized. “Maybe that changed the perception of what they might need.” Of course, the Patriots haven’t picked a receiver in the first round in the Bill Belichick era, so the theory could be accurate.
  • https://www.profootballrumors.com/buffalo-bills-news-rumors

I'll believe it when I see it...but I'd bet a lot of money that at least 4-5 WRs have better seasons than Williams this year.

The 49ers signed Eric Rogers and the Colts signed Duron Carter, both of whom were great CFL WRs, and both flamed out within one year.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm not counting this guy on the 53-man roster until he makes it.

(People thought the same thing about Da'Rick Rogers and Ramses Barden, among others I'm sure.)

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

It would be great if Duke pans out but I just don't see it happening.   He's Da'Rick Rogers 2.0 and has a large mountain to climb, IMO.  

This story in the BN gives me less--not more--good feelings about him as a prospect....

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/03/buffalo-bills-duke-williams-wide-receiver-viral-nfl-cfl-edmonton-eskimos/

Who knows what will ultimately become of him, but his exchange as a rookie with Mike Reilly reminds me of Foster's exchange with Shady. 

On 5/1/2019 at 2:20 PM, Roch-A-Bill said:

The word is David Sills can't beat press coverage - judging by the way Duke Williams famously ran over a DB in the CFL, doubt that's as much of a concern.

My concern would be Williams learning the playbook.  And since there are no running starts in the NFL and few 180 pound CBs, that play he made in the CFL (while fun to watch) is pretty irrelevant...

• Like (+1) 1

I could see the Bills looking to transition him to a receiving TE. His physical attributes fit that mold a bit better and as a TE,  you don't need top end WR speed. A TE needs to do the things Duke does well: use body for separation and catch / hold the ball when thrown to (and block).