D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

21 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

They obviously did, whether that was right or not will be determined. Did the Bills need an undersized relatively slow rb more than a speedy 6'5" 230 lb wr? Time will tell.

Butler was also available when they moved up for Knox, a te drafted solely on athletic measurables as he had no production in college.

It sounds like the bills just didnt draft the specific player you wanted.....Im sorry

Dawson Knox got drafted...so?  TE was not a need?

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It sounds like the bills just didnt draft the specific player you wanted.....Im sorry

Dawson Knox got drafted...so?  TE was not a need?

More about the fact that they didn't improve one of the worst wr corps in the league by much. I am not much of a fan for particular players, I would just like it if the QB who throws downfield the most in the league had better targets. 

2 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

More about the fact that they didn't improve one of the worst wr corps in the league by much. I am not much of a fan for particular players, I would just like it if the QB who throws downfield the most in the league had better targets. 

If you are not much of a fan of particular players....then you can appreciate just the TYPE of improvement of positions

John Brown was Flacco's go to guy for the Ravens last year.......he is also the exact type of WR that Josh Allen does well with.....speed vertical threats....so now there are TWO speed vertical threats in Brown and Foster (and Foster has some of the best numbers of ANY WR in the league in the 2nd half of last season)

Beasely....one of the very best WR's at working the middle of the field there is in the NFL

These two aquisitions alone improve the WR core......you get a TE that can actually make plays into this mix.....then the team is improved.......

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If you are not much of a fan of particular players....then you can appreciate just the TYPE of improvement of positions

John Brown was Flacco's go to guy for the Ravens last year.......he is also the exact type of WR that Josh Allen does well with.....speed vertical threats....so now there are TWO speed vertical threats in Brown and Foster (and Foster has some of the best numbers of ANY WR in the league in the 2nd half of last season)

Beasely....one of the very best WR's at working the middle of the field there is in the NFL

These two aquisitions alone improve the WR core......you get a TE that can actually make plays into this mix.....then the team is improved.......

I do appreciate that they did something to improve and I am hoping for the best. We shall see.

On 5/5/2019 at 11:28 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Easily Beane's biggest weakness so far has been moves at WR.

First he showed a lack of awareness of a shift in the league by trying to load up on big, lumbering WR's who couldn't get open.     And even if you set aside that other teams were aware that getting WR's who create separation was becoming critical and Beane did not...........why would you give a QB like Tyrod Taylor, who would only throw the ball to open receivers, a bunch of guys that he would have to make contested throws to?    UTTER STUPIDITY that first season.

Then last year he got wise to the obvious trend toward WR who get open.........but still didn't land a decent one in UFA or draft one.    If he hadn't gotten incredibly lucky with Robert Foster in UDFA it would have been hands down the worst WR corps in the NFL.     This year he adds a couple back-of-career patches in UFA in Brown and Beasley but still leaves the team with one of the weaker WR corps in the league.   

If Bob Foster doesn't continue his trajectory.........which has to be considered a strong possibility considering his track record.............this could be a pretty awful WR corps.  

Nonsense.

If anything the problem has simply been that he didn't have enough resources and that WR was one of the positions to suffer because of that. It's too early - duh - to judge any of the WRs who we've brought in this offseason. So you can only look at performance ... but, and this is crucial ... factoring in what we gave up for him. For a guy getting paid $500 K or $600K, nearly any productivity is success.

SUCCESSES: Robert Foster, Isaiah McKenzie ($555K), Deonte Thompson (min.), Brandon Tate (good returns, minimal receptions for minimal investment), Andre Holmes (a bit of production for minimal investment)

FAILURES: Kelvin Benjamin

MEH: Taiwan Jones (minimal production for minimum investment), Terrelle Pryor (no production, cost them $74K ... not $740K, only $74K), Jeremy Kerley (7 yards, no signing bonus, no guarantee, released after one game)

TOO EARLY TO JUDGE: Zay Jones (trending significantly up, but still too early to judge)

INJURED, COULDN'T BE JUDGED: Jordan Matthews (on a cheap rookie contract, but couldn't play, Philly paid him more last year than we did the year before)

That isn't a record of a GM making bad calls on WRs. Kelvin Benjamin was their one bad call. Other than that, it's a list of Zay (not a Beane pick and too early to judge), Mathews, who was injured, and a regime with no money to spend throwing guys on minimum salary at a problem they couldn't afford to address. And for that kind of commitment they actually had several guys who gave them good production for the pay they received.

This year they've finally put a bit of money into WRs. We'll finally see how they are at picking WRs when they're willing to do more than take fliers at minimum.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Maybe they liked Singletary better?

It could be just as simple as that

....or they stuck to their board and want to see how the additions this offseason shake out...knowing they can draft out of what's supposed to be a great crop of wrs next year.

i for one, like the fact that they are staggering their top players contracts so that we do not have....or won't have too many due in the same year.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:19 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I come to the same conclusion (that the WR moves have been the biggest weakness of this regime) through a different path.

I don't think Beane loaded up on "big lumbering WR who couldn't get open".  Jordan Matthews ran a 4.46 40 and a 4.16 shuttle and was the all-time SEC leader in receptions when he came out.  Zay Jones ran a 4.45 40 and a 4.01 shuttle and was the all-time FBS receptions leader when he came out.  I think Beane thought they were getting good route runners with the fundamental athletic abilities and the college football success to build on, to be coached up into good all-purpose NFL receivers.  Benjamin fits the description of a "big lumbering WR who can't get open" but who else?  I mean in hindsight, Jones and Matthews struggled but the point is that wasn't their profile or expectation when acquired.

I don't think Beane had a thought for Tyrod Taylor when he made any roster moves in 2017.  In my opinion, when the Bills snagged Benjamin, Beane already knew they were targeting Allen next draft and was looking for pieces he thought would help there, like a guy with a zip-code catch radius who was always open 2 feet over his tall head.

The whole WR acquisition history under McBeane seems to me like too much paper scouting, and not enough attention to actual eyes on the field.  Even WITH Foster getting the "clue bird" 2nd half of last season, I think you could make an argument we in fact had the worst WR corps in the NFL.  Who was worse?

I think in Brown and Beasley, Beane is trying to bring in experienced guys who will run precise, consistent routes and put out consistent effort, as an example to Zay, Foster, and the younger guys.  I think we're stronger going in than we were last year, but that's a low bar.

Yep.  Just as there's "college open", there's "CFL open" - different game with the WR allowed a running start and the wider and longer field.  Will it translate to the NFL, assuming he's learnt his lessons about work ethic and avoiding trouble for well-and-good?  Hope so but we can't tell until we see him on gameday.

I had to pull the shades down in my study.  The sun glare off my car hood was blinding me.  BadOl does have a point here.

Yes, he has a point.  Under Beanes watch, WR hasn’t been a high priority and he’s failed to deliver us a good WR unit.  It’s one of the weakest in the league.

when grading his WR acquisitions, one must look at the available WRs.  He’s had 2 full off seasons as our gm.  The only WR left from the previous regime is zay, who was most likely chosen by McDermott.  They invested a the 44th pick and the 91st pick in zay.  Then they trade a 3rd pick for KB.  

Then in Beanes 1st full offseason, there was one main objective:  get the cap situation where they want it.  Every other objective had to take a back seat to getting the cap in check.  They weren’t spending on a Wr.  He failed to address Wr in the draft other than camp fodder.  He traded several picks to acquire the qB of the offense and dEfense.  The following picks were  BPA as well as positions of need in Harrison Phillips and Taron Johnson.  It looks to be a very solid draft. Signing Robert Foster as an Udfa was the best Wr he’s made to date.

kb was the worst wr in the league last season.  Making us even worse than we thought we’d be.  He was being counted on and he failed miserably.  He picked up

mckenzie mid season and he turned out to be a contributor.  If he can figure out his propensity to fumble, he’ll be in the league for several years.

Then into the offseason, it was an atrocious group of free agent WRs.  Not one of them is worth 9-10 mill a year imo.  Beane refuses to overpay and for that im happy.  Signing Brown and Beasley, while not the huge splash we’d like.....are they that much worse than Tyrell Williams?  Both players excel in gaining separation and Beasley has exceptional hands and will be a 3rd down machine imo.  Brown opposite Foster.....who’s getting single covered and run deep.  Having browns speed on the field helps even if he doesn’t have a great year personally.  He opens up the middle of the field. Both contracts are team friendly and we’re barely overpaid, which is good for the Bills.  Signing WRs in cold, windy and snowy buffalo, with no oL (at the time of signing them) and a perceived inaccurate qB for team friendly deals is not the easiest task.  He succeeded.  Looking at the draft, we weren’t taking one at 9 and clearly got the BPA at a position of need.  SelectingCody ford after slipping to rd 2 was a no brainer.  Round 3 is the only opportunity that Beane had an opportunity to grab a wr and instead went RB then TE.  Both positions of need.  Yes, rb was a need.  We could’ve draft med Mclaurin, Butler,  Ridley or Harmon over Singletary.  Long term, is drafting a WR really going to make or break the unit?  I don’t think so.

next years draft class is a huge year for WRs.

Like @BADOLBILZ said, Beane hasn’t done a lot to improve the wR unit......but there’s great reason for it.   The draft picks didn’t line up for BPA and the free agent class wasn’t worth big money.   He tried to trade for Ab, so it’s not like he isn’t trying.  You can’t suck blood from a stone.  

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

If anything the problem has simply been that he didn't have enough resources and that WR was one of the positions to suffer because of that. It's too early - duh - to judge any of the WRs who we've brought in this offseason. So you can only look at performance ... but, and this is crucial ... factoring in what we gave up for him. For a guy getting paid $500 K or $600K, nearly any productivity is success.

SUCCESSES: Robert Foster, Isaiah McKenzie ($555K), Deonte Thompson (min.), Brandon Tate (good returns, minimal receptions for minimal investment), Andre Holmes (a bit of production for minimal investment)

MEH: Taiwan Jones (minimal production for minimum investment), Terrelle Pryor (no production, cost them $74K ... not $740K, only $74K), Jeremy Kerley (7 yards, no signing bonus, no guarantee, released after one game)

TOO EARLY TO JUDGE: Zay Jones (trending significantly up, but still too early to judge)

INJURED, COULDN'T BE JUDGED: Jordan Matthews (on a cheap rookie contract, but couldn't play, Philly paid him more last year than we did the year before)

That isn't a record of a GM making bad calls on WRs. Kelvin Benjamin was their one bad call. Other than that, it's a list of Zay (not a Beane pick and too early to judge), Mathews, who was injured, and a regime with no money to spend throwing guys on minimum salary at a problem they couldn't afford to address. And for that kind of commitment they actually had several guys who gave them good production for the pay they received.

This year they've finally put a bit of money into WRs. We'll finally see how they are at picking WRs when they're willing to do more than take fliers at minimum.

Looks like we agree a lot:)

Here is my post from a few pages back:

On 5/5/2019 at 12:19 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I come to the same conclusion (that the WR moves have been the biggest weakness of this regime) through a different path.

I had the same initial thoughts (say around last November), but have since become more accepting of the Bills' WR strategy. Here's why it might still be too early to come up with a definitive conclusion that it is a weakness.

Yes Zay has not been as great as advertised - but Beane was not here when he was drafted. After Matthews was hurt (but we had serious playoff hopes) - Beane had to find a replacement on the fly - and that is why he got KB - was anyone else available? Last season was all about finding a QB - so we used up a ton of draft capital there(not helped by the 2017 playoff appearance) - not enough left for a decent WR, Our deadcap also prevented us from getting anyone halfway decent (even in FA 2018 WR market was thin with only Landry, Watkins and Robinson being halfway decent). And he does deserve credit for finding Robert Foster! So cannot really say that WR moves have been a weakness, can we? 

This year's draft class for WR was underwhelming - there is a reason only no WR went in the first 24 picks. So, in FA, he tried to get AB and wound up with experienced guys in Brown and Beasley. They may not have set Lake Ontario on fire - but they have a track record of being good and are nothing to sneeze at. Now Next year's WR class promises to be better - Jeudy, Johnson, Shenault, Rogers, Ruggs and Callaway all appear to be better than this year's crop. We can disagree on how good Duke can be - but the fact remains that 8-10 teams wanted Duke and Beane signed him - that is not bad, eh?

Bottomline - you cant make chicken wings outa chicken sh*t. Beane appears to have done well given the hand he has been dealt (limited draft capital - need for a QB, weak 2018 FA for WR and weak 2019 Draft for WR). One can quibble about not taking up Sammy's 5th year option (the EJG trade was fine mind you - it helped get Allen and EJG helped take us to the playoffs) - but it is not clear at all that WR moves have been a big weakness for Beane. I believe moving from a top 5 of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Jeremy Kerley &  Ray-Ray McCloud to a top 5 of John Brown, Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Cole Beasley & Duke WIlliams / Roberts represents significant progress.

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes, he has a point.  Under Beanes watch, WR hasn’t been a high priority and he’s failed to deliver us a good WR unit.  It’s one of the weakest in the league.

when grading his WR acquisitions, one must look at the available WRs.  He’s had 2 full off seasons as our gm.  The only WR left from the previous regime is zay, who was most likely chosen by McDermott.  They invested a the 44th pick and the 91st pick in zay.  Then they trade a 3rd pick for KB.  

Then in Beanes 1st full offseason, there was one main objective:  get the cap situation where they want it.  Every other objective had to take a back seat to getting the cap in check.  They weren’t spending on a Wr.  He failed to address Wr in the draft other than camp fodder.  He traded several picks to acquire the qB of the offense and dEfense.  The following picks were  BPA as well as positions of need in Harrison Phillips and Taron Johnson.  It looks to be a very solid draft. Signing Robert Foster as an Udfa was the best Wr he’s made to date.

kb was the worst wr in the league last season.  Making us even worse than we thought we’d be.  He was being counted on and he failed miserably.  He picked up

mckenzie mid season and he turned out to be a contributor.  If he can figure out his propensity to fumble, he’ll be in the league for several years.

Then into the offseason, it was an atrocious group of free agent WRs.  Not one of them is worth 9-10 mill a year imo.  Beane refuses to overpay and for that im happy.  Signing Brown and Beasley, while not the huge splash we’d like.....are they that much worse than Tyrell Williams?  Both players excel in gaining separation and Beasley has exceptional hands and will be a 3rd down machine imo.  Brown opposite Foster.....who’s getting single covered and run deep.  Having browns speed on the field helps even if he doesn’t have a great year personally.  He opens up the middle of the field. Both contracts are team friendly and we’re barely overpaid, which is good for the Bills.  Signing WRs in cold, windy and snowy buffalo, with no oL (at the time of signing them) and a perceived inaccurate qB for team friendly deals is not the easiest task.  He succeeded.  Looking at the draft, we weren’t taking one at 9 and clearly got the BPA at a position of need.  SelectingCody ford after slipping to rd 2 was a no brainer.  Round 3 is the only opportunity that Beane had an opportunity to grab a wr and instead went RB then TE.  Both positions of need.  Yes, rb was a need.  We could’ve draft med Mclaurin, Butler,  Ridley or Harmon over Singletary.  Long term, is drafting a WR really going to make or break the unit?  I don’t think so.

next years draft class is a huge year for WRs.

Like @BADOLBILZ said, Beane hasn’t done a lot to improve the wR unit......but there’s great reason for it.   The draft picks didn’t line up for BPA and the free agent class wasn’t worth big money.   He tried to trade for Ab, so it’s not like he isn’t trying.  You can’t suck blood from a stone.  

I agree with the limited resources part - (see post above). But moving from a top 5 of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Jeremy Kerley &  Ray-Ray McCloud to a top 5 of John Brown, Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Cole Beasley & Duke WIlliams / Roberts represents significant progress - so, unlike you, I am not upset about where we are w.r.t WR.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

....or they stuck to their board and want to see how the additions this offseason shake out...knowing they can draft out of what's supposed to be a great crop of wrs next year.

i for one, like the fact that they are staggering their top players contracts so that we do not have....or won't have too many due in the same year.

Multiple sources have reported they were not drafting a WR period. Did not see it as a big priority and like the group they have. Its hard to argue this group has made good decisions on the offensive side of the ball. The way QB has been handled for two years has been bad. From Tyrod to putting in Peterman. To then Starting Peterman again and having no back up plan. The OL has been a mess. 

Going forward its all about Allen and helping him succeed. If Allen regresses this year then this FO could be in trouble. 

34 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Looks like we agree a lot:)

Here is my post from a few pages back:

On 5/5/2019 at 12:19 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had the same initial thoughts (say around last November), but have since become more accepting of the Bills' WR strategy. Here's why it might still be too early to come up with a definitive conclusion that it is a weakness.

Yes Zay has not been as great as advertised - but Beane was not here when he was drafted. After Matthews was hurt (but we had serious playoff hopes) - Beane had to find a replacement on the fly - and that is why he got KB - was anyone else available? Last season was all about finding a QB - so we used up a ton of draft capital there(not helped by the 2017 playoff appearance) - not enough left for a decent WR, Our deadcap also prevented us from getting anyone halfway decent (even in FA 2018 WR market was thin with only Landry, Watkins and Robinson being halfway decent). And he does deserve credit for finding Robert Foster! So cannot really say that WR moves have been a weakness, can we? 

This year's draft class for WR was underwhelming - there is a reason only no WR went in the first 24 picks. So, in FA, he tried to get AB and wound up with experienced guys in Brown and Beasley. They may not have set Lake Ontario on fire - but they have a track record of being good and are nothing to sneeze at. Now Next year's WR class promises to be better - Jeudy, Johnson, Shenault, Rogers, Ruggs and Callaway all appear to be better than this year's crop. We can disagree on how good Duke can be - but the fact remains that 8-10 teams wanted Duke and Beane signed him - that is not bad, eh?

Bottomline - you cant make chicken wings outa chicken sh*t. Beane appears to have done well given the hand he has been dealt (limited draft capital - need for a QB, weak 2018 FA for WR and weak 2019 Draft for WR). One can quibble about not taking up Sammy's 5th year option (the EJG trade was fine mind you - it helped get Allen and EJG helped take us to the playoffs) - but it is not clear at all that WR moves have been a big weakness for Beane. I believe moving from a top 5 of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Jeremy Kerley &  Ray-Ray McCloud to a top 5 of John Brown, Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Cole Beasley & Duke WIlliams / Roberts represents significant progress.

I agree with the limited resources part - (see post above). But moving from a top 5 of Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Jeremy Kerley &  Ray-Ray McCloud to a top 5 of John Brown, Robert Foster, Zay Jones, Cole Beasley & Duke WIlliams / Roberts represents significant progress - so, unlike you, I am not upset about where we are w.r.t WR.

I’m not upset because I realize that it was a terrible offseason if you wanted to upgrade at WR. We tried to get the best wr in football.  They didn’t want to trade their first rd pick for Odell.  There were limited free agents and we added 2 without overpaying and both have very strong strengths:  Browns deep speed and Beasley’s ability to get open in the slot With good hands.  The draft didn’t line up. I’m happy we did everything that we did.  

I just think that all of the other units are in better a position in terms of talent, although one could argue tight end is worse off.  It really depends on Foster imo. He has the ability to be a top flight #2 and with his speed possibly a top option.  Not much tread on his tires and only seems to be improving.  If he regresses from last year, wr is probably our weakest unit overall .

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I’m not upset because I realize that it was a terrible offseason if you wanted to upgrade at WR. We tried to get the best wr in football.  They didn’t want to trade their first rd pick for Odell.  There were limited free agents and we added 2 without overpaying and both have very strong strengths:  Browns deep speed and Beasley’s ability to get open in the slot With good hands.  The draft didn’t line up. I’m happy we did everything that we did.  

I just think that all of the other units are in better a position in terms of talent, although one could argue tight end is worse off.  It really depends on Foster imo. He has the ability to be a top flight #2 and with his speed possibly a top option.  Not much tread on his tires and only seems to be improving.  If he regresses from last year, wr is probably our weakest unit overall .

I too am interested to see if Foster is the real deal. I am less sold on Zay than most - but believe more in Beasley, Brown and even Duke. 

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I too am interested to see if Foster is the real deal. I am less sold on Zay than most - but believe more in Beasley, Brown and even Duke. 

...hey, day 1 of OTA's and no one has earned the "TBD Bust" label....yet......now THAT's encouraging IMO...............

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, other than $3.5M guaranteed to Corey Coleman, Kelvin Benjamin was their one bad call other than a list of guys at minimum salary.

Well, no, other than signing the soon-to-be-retired Anquan Boldin, and $3.5M guaranteed to .....  Also I believe some of the vets were signed for more than vet minimum.

There would also be the fact that Jordan Matthews appeared, with minimal impact, in 10 of the first 12 games of 2017.  If he's so injured he can't be evaluated on whether or not he's worthwhile, it's a problem if the corps is so thin that he's playing.

Look, @BADOLBILZ has it right. WR has been the biggest gap in Beane's personnel decision to date - the weakest unit, with the guys we did bring in (at a cost of more than $12M dollars in a cap-thin year) being under- or non-performing.  Excuses can be found, but the bottom line is successful teams manage to find guys who can play or put the guys they have in position to play successfully.

I hope we've got a better group this year.  Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I do appreciate that they did something to improve and I am hoping for the best. We shall see.

McBeanes track record with Pass catchers is less than stellar. easy to be pessimistic

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...hey, day 1 of OTA's and no one has earned the "TBD Bust" label....yet......now THAT's encouraging IMO...............

No one even made the team or got fitted for their gold jacket, the later may actually take 2 days of OTA's, not really sure.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

You forgot Coleman who Bills got for a 7th round pick assuming contract and then cut.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000957567/article/bills-releasing-former-browns-wr-corey-coleman

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and he would be a major fool not to solicit input from Josh and Daboll....

This is the year Daboll takes his set.

This will be his year and his players, so to speak.
this is where the unknown is exciting.

No way he ran a play book of what he is capable of or prefers last year with all those weaknesses and unknowns.

16 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is the year Daboll takes his set.

This will be his year and his players, so to speak.
this is where the unknown is exciting.

No way he ran a play book of what he is capable of or prefers last year with all those weaknesses and unknowns.

...CERTAINLY agree....he has been fortified with talent (admittedly on paper so far) in 2019 vs 2018, so let's see "his stuff"......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1