D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

All you guys keep talking about whether this position or that position is an area of need.   That's all well and good, but that is NOT how McBeane are approaching this.  

BPA, BPA, BPA.   

Beane has told us that he uses free agency to fill holes for the short term, and he uses the draft to build the team for the long term.  And he's also essentially said in recent interviews that he has filled the holes - offensive line and wide out.   That's where he saw problems that needed to be addressed immediately.   In other words he's said that he and McD are ready and willing to play football with the team they can field with the current roster.   

The draft is for making the team better, and they don't particularly care WHERE they get better.   The BPA at 9 is almost certainly going to be better than someone they have on the roster.   It could be a defensive lineman, it could be an offensive lineman, it could be a wideout, it could be a tight end, it could be a linebacker, it could be a running back, it could be a defensive back.   McBeane really don't care what position he plays - if he's the BPA in the first round, he's going to make the team better.  

McBeane aren't comparing the relative strengths of various positions on the team and decided to point the draft in the area they believe is weakest.   They're going to take the BPA and plug him into the team.   If it creates an excess of talent at the position, they'll trade someone.   

It's a very simple philosophy - in the draft, add the best players you can.  

Now, when you get down to the later rounds, players remaining tend to have very similar ratings, even identical ratings.  So in those rounds, their are multiple "BPAs," so you can pick the one where your team might need the most help.   But not in the early rounds.   In the early, just take the best player and move on.  

So if BPA is a QB or a CB they are taking them, if their second highest graded player, who is closely graded, is a position of need, they're going to take the QB??

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  But if they do go TE, it betting it won't be at 9.

Again SNY, they paid Brown and Beasley good money so they're starting.  Foster showed enough after returning to the active roster to merit being the other starter.  They still have Zay.  And Duke is an unknown.  A rookie WR is completely unproven and drafting one doesn't make WR a position of strength in and of itself.  They won't be taking a WR before day 3 is my bet.

...agreed...think the last one to go at #9 was Ebron (thought he was Bflo's pick vs Sammy) and look how long it's taken him to show up....could see McBeane trading down in the 1st to grab an extra 2nd......probably has his TE candidates graded out as 1, 1-A, 1-B, 1-C, etc.....perhaps marginal differences on the finer points....DL with the 1st(OL later because of FA activity IMO) and possibly a TE with the second 2nd......STRICTLY opinion and who the hell knows with him?......probably stays put at 9, selects a punter and casts TBD into TOTAL meltdown.....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

That's why if they dont go Wr in the first I would like them to draft Parris Campbell in the second.  Him in that role would be dynamite.  He also has the size and speed to play outside as well.  He could be our Tyreek Hill.

I wouldn't be mad. Campbell is a "weapon" in every sense of the word. Tough to project anyone being as dynamic as Hill, but the talent is there.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I appreciate the fact that you're rooting for a guy working hard to overcome personal obstacles. That being said, it's entirely possible he flew under the radar because there wasn't much interest league wide. We tend to hyper-focus on Bills acquisitions. In the grand scheme of things, he's not LIKELY to be an impact player. I think the odds are 50/50 he even makes the team.

The same was said of Robert Foster so you never know. 

What you say is plausible. But please do see the original post. 8-10 teams WERE interested in Duke. So he was flying under the MEDIA radar, but not so much TEAMS' radar.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Love how he rips down contested catches and his positions his body in traffic, 2 burners on the outside, Beasly and this guy in the middle, and Maybe Zay will decide to play like a 2nd round pic in year 3...Not having Kelvin Benjamin on the roster....all huge improvements 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

Love how he rips down contested catches and his positions his body in traffic, 2 burners on the outside, Beasly and this guy in the middle, and Maybe Zay will decide to play like a 2nd round pic in year 3...Not having Kelvin Benjamin on the roster....all huge improvements 

That's a big one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

So if BPA is a QB or a CB they are taking them, if their second highest graded player, who is closely graded, is a position of need, they're going to take the QB??

He admitted that if QB was the BPA when the Bills' turn came up, they wouldn't take him.  But as I said, BPA is subjective and what one team might consider BPA at a certain position, another may not.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agreed...think the last one to go at #9 was Ebron (thought he was Bflo's pick vs Sammy) and look how long it's taken him to show up....could see McBeane trading down in the 1st to grab an extra 2nd......probably has his TE candidates graded out as 1, 1-A, 1-B, 1-C, etc.....perhaps marginal differences on the finer points....DL with the 1st(OL later because of FA activity IMO) and possibly a TE with the second 2nd......STRICTLY opinion and who the hell knows with him?......probably stays put at 9, selects a punter and casts TBD into TOTAL meltdown.....:thumbsup:

I could also see him trading back into the 1st to get Fant.  Anything is possible with this draft.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

He admitted that if QB was the BPA when the Bills' turn came up, they wouldn't take him.  But as I said, BPA is subjective and what one team might consider BPA at a certain position, another may not.

I could also see him trading back into the 1st to get Fant.  Anything is possible with this draft.

Oh yeah.

I was just saying BPA in general.

Definitely subjective for BPA.

17 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Depends where you can trade down to, and how willing you'd be to settle if he gets taken before where youb traded down to.

That is a huge point. If you trade down with the intent to draft a particular person at that spot, you can get burnt--always have a 2nd & 3rd option.

But, if you know you want a guy (like TJ Hock), just use the 9th pick you have. Don't get too cute trying to at something and risk losing the guy you really want. If he is the guy you want to get, get him when you can.

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, c-troop said:

David Sills vs Duke Williams is gonna be one of the sickest training camp battles this year IMO.

I think Duke wins because of experience.

I’d say it comes down to Duke, Sills, MCKenzie and DiMarco.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I’d say it comes down to Duke, Sills, MCKenzie and DiMarco.  

I don't see any value in bringing DiMarco back, and with the Roberts signing McKenzie is expendable.

Positionally speaking though, Sills and Williams are bringing something similar to the table making it a legitimate training camp battle.

The FB and the Gadget WR have their own competition elsewhere on the roster.   

22 minutes ago, c-troop said:

David Sills vs Duke Williams is gonna be one of the sickest training camp battles this year IMO.

The word is David Sills can't beat press coverage - judging by the way Duke Williams famously ran over a DB in the CFL, doubt that's as much of a concern.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, c-troop said:

I don't see any value in bringing DiMarco back, and with the Roberts signing McKenzie is expendable.

Positionally speaking though, Sills and Williams are bringing something similar to the table making it a legitimate training camp battle.

The FB and the Gadget WR have their own competition elsewhere on the roster.   

I didn’t think there was any value in keeping DiMarco the last 2 years.....but he was here.  So you’re saying there’s no chance he’s on the roster?

i hope Duke is the guy and I really like Sills, but McKenzie has actually made plays in the NFL.  To think he’s not involved is crazy just because we have Roberts

36 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t think there was any value in keeping DiMarco the last 2 years.....but he was here.  So you’re saying there’s no chance he’s on the roster?

i hope Duke is the guy and I really like Sills, but McKenzie has actually made plays in the NFL.  To think he’s not involved is crazy just because we have Roberts

I don't think it's crazy considering the gauntlet of WRs recently signed, I see where you're coming from though.
It's always nice to have guys on the rosters who have made plays the league before.

However, it's obvious that they aren't satisfied with what we had last year, and bringing back DiMarco and McKenzie would be treadmilling the back end of our skill positions. 

1 hour ago, c-troop said:

Agreed, but the battle is bigger than that.  Only Cole and Brown (barring injuries) are 100% locks and Foster is pretty close.  After that, all roster spots up for grabs.  

Zay, Duke, Sills, Roberts, McKenzie will all be competing for 3 roster spots.  

You are hearing this here first:  Duke and Sills may both make the final 53.  

4 minutes ago, c-troop said:

I don't think it's crazy considering the gauntlet of WRs recently signed, I see where you're coming from though.
It's always nice to have guys on the rosters who have made plays the league before.

However, it's obvious that they aren't satisfied with what we had last year, and bringing back DiMarco and McKenzie would be treadmilling the back end of our skill positions. 

Agree to disagree.  McKenzie is a playmaker and has a good shot to make this team.  Especially if DiMarco is cut

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, but the battle is bigger than that.  Only Cole and Brown (barring injuries) are 100% locks and Foster is pretty close.  After that, all roster spots up for grabs.  

Zay, Duke, Sills, Roberts, McKenzie will all be competing for 3 roster spots.  

You are hearing this here first:  Duke and Sills may both make the final 53.  

Now, this is a spicy meatball! ?

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Plenty of players have gone to the CFL after college to mature their game and ended up being stars in the NFL.  It would not be crazy if that happened for Williams who was a top recruit going into college and was dismissed for beating some people up at a bar.  Hopefully he has matured as a person and is ready to reach his potential.  This was a good move by the Bills even if they end up cutting him.  To me it's like getting a 5th/6th round WR pick with a high ceiling for free. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12