D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As Yolo says.........Overdorf is actually well respected for his contract work.......the truth nobody wants to hear is that the cap situation wasn't really that bad........it was a talented veteran team it wasn't going to be $80M over the cap in the offseason.

The one terrible contract was the Dareus deal..........and not because of the AAV.....to that point in his career he had been a monster DT against the run and the pass.   An All Pro by definition.    The issue was the lack of language to protect the team in the event of another suspension.    The Pegula's meddled in that deal to get it done and appease their buddy Todd France.   If there had been a GM in place to draw a line on value vs risk..... like Beane.......that kind of deal doesn't happen without a conduct clause.   

I've been critical of both Whaley and Beane for their individual failings but the lengths people go to trash Whaley and over-prop Beane are a bit ridiculous. 

...Whaley had his faults, but they ALL do........McBeane has had some head scratching gaffes which have been discussed numerous times....I'm not even sure what Whaley's horsepower was and we'll never know factually IMO...was he a bonafide "in charge GM"?......or was he GM in title but being directed as a "personnel gopher" as in this is what/who we want, go find him/them?......McBeane is in my opinion a bonafide "in charge GM".....as I said elsewhere, poster MAGOX wrote the BEST assessment I've seen to date......he analyzed certain aspects of McBeane's job performance to date and graded them accordingly.......and his final grade was: INCOMPLETE as in "now show me RESULTS between the white stripes"......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

He didn’t choose Buffalo because of the fit. He chose Buffalo because he has a shot to make the roster. Let’s be real...

I think he chose Buffalo because of McDermott.   

He's kind of like a recovering alcoholic.  He knows he needs a supportive environment.   He knows that absolute hard work and dedication to his job is what he needs to stay away from the world that has caused him so much trouble.   And he knows that McDermott preaches that ethic.  So I think he's in Buffalo because he saw in McDermott the perfect combination of football coach and personal counselor.  He's going to run through walls for McDermott.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

He's kind of like a recovering alcoholic.  He knows he needs a supportive environment.   He knows that absolute hard work and dedication to his job is what he needs to stay away from the world that has caused him so much trouble.   And he knows that McDermott preaches that ethic.  So I think he's in Buffalo because he saw in McDermott the perfect combination of football coach and personal counselor.  He's going to run through walls for McDermott.  

Maybe. Or maybe he thought that we had one if he worst receiving groups in the nfl.  No disrespect but I think some fans overrate how much players care about their coach.  A guy like Duke just wants a chance to play in the nfl and get a nfl paycheck. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I’m not buying that (no offense). Duke is a guy that didn’t make it in the NFL. He went to the CFL and played well. He is getting another chance. He went to the team with the worst WR depth chart in the league. It was an easy decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I look at Duke Williams as a Cam Phillips type receiver who is 4 inches taller.  That four inches is important and is the reason why Williams might make the roster (other than his last name) and Cam Phillips won't.  

I look at him as a stronger Andre Holmes.   

Holmes wasn't good when the Bills got him........ but with his great size it was a fine line between being a guy who could put up 700 yards running mostly go routes or the guy who could only pitch in a contested grab now and then and play good special teams.

If he shows the kind of "get open" that Cam Phillips has that will be a pleasant surprise to me.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

...absolutely agree.....dismissed from Auburn and signs with Rams as UDFA only to be cut.....perseveres and goes to CFL where he seems to have worked hard and cleaned it up....certainly has to know that McDermott probably has given him his last chance at the NFL......McDermott skillfully gave Foster his wake up call and he responded.....hope Duke does the same....sad that some of the expert TBD posters have already determined he is "nothing but camp fodder"......

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not buying that (no offense). Duke is a guy that didn’t make it in the NFL. He went to the CFL and played well. He is getting another chance. He went to the team with the worst WR depth chart in the league. It was an easy decision. 

...um ok.......that MUST be it.....SMH.............

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...absolutely agree.....dismissed from Auburn and signs with Rams as UDFA only to be cut.....perseveres and goes to CFL where he seems to have worked hard and cleaned it up....certainly has to know that McDermott probably has given him his last chance at the NFL......McDermott skillfully gave Foster his wake up call and he responded.....hope Duke does the same....sad that some of the expert TBD posters have already determined he is "nothing but camp fodder"......

...um ok.......that MUST be it.....SMH.............

Do we really think that it isn’t? It doesn’t mean that he can’t carve out an NFL career (which is what he’s trying to do). He did what ANYONE with a brain would do and went to the place that he was most likely to make the team. This really isn’t complicated

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I look at the WRs as

Brown

Zay

Cole

Foster

Mckenzie

Roberts

meaning: no room for another guy

Not sure if that’s sarcasm? At any rate, Roberts won’t play much as a WR and McKenzie is fighting for a roster spot. The spot on the Bills is at the top of the depth chart. That’s why they’ll be taking a guy in the 1st 3 rounds. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do we really think that it isn’t? It doesn’t mean that he can’t carve out an NFL career (which is what he’s trying to do). He did what ANYONE with a brain would do and went to the place that he was most likely to make the team. This really isn’t complicated

....my lowly posts emanate from the "bowels of the TBD basement" only to admire those far superior with a better brain...my apology..........

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Maybe. Or maybe he thought that we had one if he worst receiving groups in the nfl.  No disrespect but I think some fans overrate how much players care about their coach.  A guy like Duke just wants a chance to play in the nfl and get a nfl paycheck. 

No doubt, the absence of receiver talent was important.  He knows he isn't going to get a lot of shots at the NFL, so he wanted to go somewhere where he could stick. 

But when you read about his past and what he says about it, I think he was looking for an emotional fit much more than the average player might.  Frankly, he probably also viewed as a plus the low key lifestyle of Buffalo compared to New Orleans or LA or New York.  He sounds like a guy who is genuinely committed to staying out of the 'hood.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not sure if that’s sarcasm? At any rate, Roberts won’t play much as a WR and McKenzie is fighting for a roster spot. The spot on the Bills is at the top of the depth chart. That’s why they’ll be taking a guy in the 1st 3 rounds. 

Not sarcasm at all. I don’t think we will draft a WR early now. I think we have a good group. I do think we will take a TE early and I do think that it’s the right move. My meaning of the no room was about the training camp fodder level guy that this thread was about. Not to say that we CANT add a top level WR somewhere in the draft. I’m just not expecting any WR other then the ones I named to be on the team. Roberts is an elite level return man and will absolutely be one of the WRs. The STs guy still counts.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m betting they don’t take a wide receiver early in the draft.  They signed Brown and Beasley to be the two of the top three wide receivers on the team. They see what they have in Foster so he’s probably the other starter. They have no idea what they have in Duke Williams so I don’t see why they would add a top pick at wide receiver who won’t be getting a whole lot of reps. 

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think he is a guy who got religion, if not literally, figuratively.   Or dealt with alcoholism.  He went to Canada with a renewed commitment to finally realize his potential after  having screwed up a few times.  You listen to his coach up there, and it sounds like that's what he did.   

So when he was looking at opportunities in the NFL, sure, he didn't want to have to try to beat out Robert Woods.  But as importantly, he wanted to be somewhere where he is less likely to fall off the wagon.   And that's where I'm guessing McDermott came into the equation.  I think he desperately wants to do everything right, and I think he believes he needs a leader to help him stay on that path.  

You gotta remember, this guy was the No. 1 receiver recruit coming out of juco.  That means, almost certainly, that one way or another he has NFL level talent.  This is a guy who has taken some serious missteps in his personal life and who, by all reports, is working very hard to put that behind and get back on the path to success as a football player.   He's McDermott's kind of guy.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’m betting they don’t take a wide receiver early in the draft.  They signed Brown and Beasley to be the two of the top three wide receivers on the team. They see what they have in Foster so he’s probably the other starter. They have no idea what they have in Duke Williams so I don’t see why they would add a top pick at wide receiver who won’t be getting a whole lot of reps. 

It may however be a different kind of receiver! A TIght End perhaps?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

...agree 'Doc......still think McBeane trades down in the 1st for an extra 2nd.....if, IF one of the more heralded  WR names is slipping, he has the flexibility to pull the trigger late 2nd or 3rd...BUT....don't count on OBD's "Phil Ivey" to be tipping his hand anytime soon....same for TE spot.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

To Doc and Moorman - they're going to go BPA.  If it's a receiver, they'll take him.  

But I agree with fundamentally - I don't think the Bills are now thinking that they have any urgency in upgrading the outside receivers.   I think they have it covered satisfactorily with Beasley, Brown, Williams, Jones, Foster and the kick returner from the Jets.  Belichick would love to have that receiver room - in fact, we know he wanted Beasley.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

To Doc and Moorman - they're going to go BPA.  If it's a receiver, they'll take him.  

But I agree with fundamentally - I don't think the Bills are now thinking that they have any urgency in upgrading the outside receivers.   I think they have it covered satisfactorily with Beasley, Brown, Williams, Jones, Foster and the kick returner from the Jets.  Belichick would love to have that receiver room - in fact, we know he wanted Beasley.  

If that's true, then WR is out.  No one is worth 9th overall.  Metcalf is a huge gamble and not worth it.  He reminds me of Yatil Green too much. 

And BPA is subjective.  For example, for the Cards, Murray is BPA in the entire draft.  To other teams...not so much.