D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep that's why Pederson immediately got Wentz.

McDermott punted on Mahomes............who is now the most valuable player........not just the award but also the player of highest value...... in the ENTIRE NFL.

He who hesitates.

...and how many posting pundits punted on Mahomes being from the leper like Air Raid?....."NO Air Raid QB EVER makes it in the NFL".......so he has so far and how many pundits have changed their stripes to "see I told you so" about 2018 performance?...um right..............

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and how many posting pundits punted on Mahomes being from the leper like Air Raid?....."NO Air Raid QB EVER makes it in the NFL".......so he has so far and how many pundits have changed their stripes to "see I told you so" about 2018 performance?...um right..............

Teams that don't have crying need for a QB pass on QB's all the time...............at that time everyone associated with the Bills on any level knew that their biggest need was a franchise QB............they just were inexcusably ill-prepared to make big decisions like that because they hadn't hired the GM in January and gone thru that evaluation process as a going-concern like every other functional organization would have/does when they have a regime change.

We excuse some crazy sh*t as Bills fans.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Teams that don't have crying need for a QB pass on QB's all the time...............at that time everyone associated with the Bills on any level knew that their biggest need was a franchise QB............they just were inexcusably ill-prepared to make big decisions like that because they hadn't hired the GM in January and gone thru that evaluation process as a going-concern like every other functional organization would have/does when they have a regime change.

...Cliff Notes Version: post Polian, "F Troop" ran the show.............QB spot was THE most neglected position followed by TE at #2.......

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Right, there was no chaos/dysfunction at all.

The Pegulas are clearly just trailblazers. Hiring the HC first while keeping a lame duck GM on board for the draft then firing him immediately after the draft and hiring the new HC's suggestion for the position to take his place. 

Surprised the rest of the league hasn't taken note of this and followed this exact blueprint.?

That played absolutely no part in their decision to pass on Mahomes and trade down for the safer, more conservative pick.... ?

Why would they not let the new GM pick his own QB?  Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

...true, but it's old news....it ain't gonna change......these boyz are BOTH here.....let them work it PERIOD.....hell let's go back and rehash Buddy Nix & Doug Whaley........Jesus....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yeah "timing".........why is that so valued?

It's not fair that the Bills can win a game in September and nobody cares but some other team wins a game in February and they throw a parade!?

On 2/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Zay made significant strides last year.

With the experience he gained with Allen I think most just assume he's a big part of the plan for 2019 but I won't be surprised if they trade him this offseason.

The offense they want to run and the type of WR they prefer has changed drastically since he was drafted.

You mention Josh Reed...........the one trait they definitely have in common is a high susceptibility to the yips when it comes to catching the ball.

Reed was way better than ZJ after the catch.

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah "timing".........why is that so valued?

It's not fair that the Bills can win a game in September and nobody cares but some other team wins a game in February and they throw a parade!?

And Bills always win the off season, and yet no parade.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dude, Mahomes was far from being considered an elite, can't-miss prospect.  Everybody can second-guess drafting.  And if you want to say that the "turmoil" of the recent regime change hamstrung the Bills' ability to make the "right" decision on Mahomes so be it.  It just feels a bit petty to me.  They've made a lot of good decisions and put the organization in a position to become one of those franchises you admire.

Just now, eball said:

Dude, Mahomes was far from being considered an elite, can't-miss prospect.  Everybody can second-guess drafting.  And if you want to say that the "turmoil" of the recent regime change hamstrung the Bills' ability to make the "right" decision on Mahomes so be it.  It just feels a bit petty to me.  They've made a lot of good decisions and put the organization in a position to become one of those franchises you admire.

And Josh Allen was?   Where?  Who said that?  ?

When was the last "can't miss" QB prospect?   Andrew Luck?

I mean hell.........Goff and Wentz almost came out of nowhere during the draft process and went 1 and 2 and have had some tremendous seasons.

I guess it's just a make or miss league..........how cruel.:rolleyes:

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And Josh Allen was?   Where?  Who said that?  ?

When was the last "can't miss" QB prospect?   Andrew Luck?

I mean hell.........Goff and Wentz almost came out of nowhere during the draft process and went 1 and 2 and have had some tremendous seasons.

I guess it's just a make or miss league..........how cruel.:rolleyes:

So the gist of your argument is that the Bills were one year too late making the decision to "go for it" with a QB?  Ok.  Whatever makes ya happy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I may be among the first to say it, and I am now, mark it and use it against me in the future.

I don't think the WRs are a problem. I am a build inside to outside guy on both lines.

The Bills lines sucked last year, on offense and defense.

I don't think the Bills are too far off at WR. Z Jones developed as a #2. R Foster became a real threat in real games. The bills brought back D Thompson who had a few big time games with the Bills, and the Bills brought in CFL standout D Williams. I want a full offseason with JA at QB and this WR mix. The Bills have two legitimate 750 yards/ 5 TD guys in Jones and Foster. D Thompson and D Williams add to the mix. This offense needs to get a RB moving, and we have Shady. Take OL early and a productive RB in round 5-6.

Draft 1 WR or a stud at TE and Allen will have options.

The Defensive front 7 was terrible at producing pressure.The O-line sucked. When a RB of Shady McCoy's calibre has issues then the  O-line sucks.

Draft O-line and Front 7 help. It is a deep front 7 DEF draft, get one, it helps.

Trade back. Then go O-line and Def front 7 again.

The WR on this team are aok with only one addition. JA needs time to find them, and that is OL.

He also needs more short field situations, that is Defense.

Balance JA with a run game

The Bills front 7 needs help to create scenarios.

I want OL and DEF front 7 all day unless a WR falls, and a fresh legs at RB which can be found late.

Edited by RocCityRoller

On 2/7/2019 at 9:04 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Zay's ceiling is a number 3 WR. He simply doesn't do anything well enough to be relied upon as a primary option. Very comparable to Josh Reed.

Depend more upon the Offense you run.

He improved much last year. I wish that was how he played in year one. and was still trending up.
Might be hard for me to forgive his year one, including his off season antics : (
Being one of his biggest detractors, i have to admit i have hope , based on trending he continues to improve his route running and ability to get open.

Bills might actually want 3  #2s and one guy who can run like with a good chance he will bring it in. cough cough Foster cough cough
Zay seems to have embraced being a Pro a the Coaches say in Buffalo

Looking forward to seeing this Williams  kid ! 

Go Bills

On 2/7/2019 at 1:50 AM, Turk71 said:

The only way to stay up in the air longer is to jump higher. Gravity works the same on everyone. His vertical leap was only 30 inches so there are a lot of pros who will jump higher and stay in the air longer than him. For comparison there were numerous guys over 300 lbs at last year's combine who jumped higher than him including Harrison Phillips, so I don't think he will 'hanging' in the air longer than NFL cbs and safeties.

I think he uses his body well to win contested catches and that is his biggest strength. Whether he can do that against NFL competition remains to be seen. I am not against the signing, just not expecting as much as some others and hope to be pleasantly surprised if and when he becomes a good NFL player.

Tell that to Michael Jordan.  He seemed to stay in the air longer

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because they didn't tear it down.

How hard is this to understand?

They LITERALLY kept all of the older players that we were expecting the next regime to be shopping to replace over the next couple of seasons............and got rid of the players that they had current or pending free agency decisions to make on.

It's hard for people to remember this but McD inherited the 7th best scoring offense in the NFL and a very talented defense............this wasn't some old-decrepit group.................it was a talented group and the narrative at the time of Rex' firing was NOT the they were in cap hell........because THEY WEREN'T.    

Like Jauron/Levy before them............McDermott and Beane just chose to re-set and extend their own timeline without doing a tear down.

My contention is that McD didn't trust his ability to take control of this kind of locker room...................he was a nobody with zero prior experience as a HC at any level.............and the toughest to win over are those in their primes with free agency leverage..........so he cleared the deck of those guys(much to the ? of talent needy contenders).    

Whereas guys like Pederson and McVay and Anthony Lynn immediately embraced similar roster profiles and have had prolific starts to their HC careers.......in all cases under probably even more difficult circumstances..........McD wasn't up to it.    

He wanted more time.

Hopefully it works.   

One of your finest works
very level headed. so i of course agree.

I am going to stand my ground in regard to drafting a QB, McD was not going to make the call. Knowing this pick was so critical to his long term visions.

Rebuilding the Foundation before you renovate the House. is wise.

i might suggest we old nearly hopeless jaded beaten down Bills Fans just sit back and grab a beer and watch patiently.
This is great time to watch closely what Bills do off season up till and including the Draft. and then again when OTAs and Camp get rolling.

Big offseason for Bills. seriously. imho.

and isn't all about winning the Offseason for us !! : )

Go Bills 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I guess? I don’t think he felt qualified to decide which QB to draft. Maybe a coach like Gase for example who is an OC/QB guy would pull the trigger. McD was a DC. 

absolutely
 and he knew that going in. 

I would not be surprised he was advised that the following year would offer up enough QBs worthwhile to feel some comfort. Full well knowing it was a requirement to move Bills forward.
 tough spot to be in 

waiting on a Beane must have been tough 

36 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

One of your finest works
very level headed. so i of course agree.

I am going to stand my ground in regard to drafting a QB, McD was not going to make the call. Knowing this pick was so critical to his long term visions.

Rebuilding the Foundation before you renovate the House. is wise.

i might suggest we old nearly hopeless jaded beaten down Bills Fans just sit back and grab a beer and watch patiently.
This is great time to watch closely what Bills do off season up till and including the Draft. and then again when OTAs and Camp get rolling.

Big offseason for Bills. seriously. imho.

and isn't all about winning the Offseason for us !! : )

Go Bills 

I completely agree with that.

The fundamental mistake was forcing a lame duck Doug Whaley to remain in the GM office all offseason when McD was using everyone BUT Whaley to make personnel decisions:doh:.........McD and The Pegs treated that free agency/draft period as if it was some kind of half-speed practice run......or something.............every draft could be your most important ever.........there isn't a sound explanation for what they did.    I mean.......wtf it's not like they didn't ultimately just hire McD's dear friend to be GM(which is almost certainly what the two had been planning for the previous 2-3 years when McD started coming up as a HC candidate).      Just a total head scratcher.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, racketmaster said:

I'm not sure he will be our number 1 wr but he will likely get a shot to play in the top 3. I have to assume that he looked around at NFL teams and decided to leave the CFL because he was going to get a legitimate chance to start with the Bills. I do like he body control and ability to catch contested passes. He clearly goes after and attacks the football. He might be a replacement for what the Bills thought they were going to get in Benjamin (a guy who is physical and will make contested catches presenting a bigger target in the red zone).

That said, Williams looks like he is a 4.7 speed guy. He is a thick body wr and does not appear to have a ton of speed. But that does not mean he cannot be useful. Dez Bryant could still make plays later in his career even after he had lost some speed and Dez was never known as a speed guy to begin with. I could see Williams taking over as a #2 with Robert Foster being more of the #1 threat. I would not mind this, especially if the Bills signed Humphries to play in the slot.

You cant have enough “ 2 or 3s” on the roster!  We must have a one next season tho!!!