D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

Duke was a clear cut value, anAwesome high ceiling low risk signing.

Can it translate to the NFL?  My money says he makes the roster but expect some transitional growing pains. His size and experience give him a bit of an advantage, like others said can he utilize it to his advantage in the NFL

Edited by ddaryl

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m really excited about him as well, but calm down 

The off-season: Where reality takes a back seat to fan-hood.

12 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

This guy can play.  He had problems but seems to have turned it around for the last couple of years.  Sometimes it takes a young guy a while to figure it out. Some never do.  He does what the Bills had hoped that Benjamin would do. He runs better than Benjamin (I know that ain't sayin' much).  The ability to separate is necessary either through speed, quickness, or running great patterns.  He should be an excellent complement to Foster, Jones, et al..  

We'll see what he does in camp and preseason.  The Bills have virtually nothing invested and nothing to lose.

He can play based on what exactly? That he beat up on lower-end talent in the CFL? That he once played in the SEC? Plenty of types in both leagues never translate into the pro game.  Maybe he's good but the likelihood is he is a camp cut. 

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They haven't put many resources into receiver, particularly since Beane got here. And that's understandable. They had a team that had a ton of holes and in rebuilding and making sure they were going to get a possible franchise QB they created even more holes. They were always going to be unable to address some positions satisfactorily this early, particularly with the major cap problems the Whaley administration left them.

That team with a bunch of holes had been 7-9 the previous season when McCoach and later Beane came aboard.  The cap situation obviously wasn't the best, but jettisoning all that salary wasn't required either. They chose to do a complete rebuild.  

Yet, in 2 off-seasons, they chose to use 2 first round picks on defensive players and signed 5 more UFAs to decent contracts. In 2 years on offense, aside from getting Allen, they've acquired practically nothing other than Dawkins. Many of their acquisitions (Tolbert, Ducasse, Bodine, Newhouse, DiMarco, Ivory) have been bargain bin types or don't contribute much. 

They have nothing on offense because they chose to build their defense first.  It's why, contrary to a lot of fans' opinions, this will be a 4 year rebuild. 

Edited by BillsVet

25 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

That team with a bunch of holes had been 7-9 when McCoach and later Beane came aboard.  The cap situation obviously wasn't the best, but jettisoning all that salary wasn't required either. They chose to do a complete rebuild.  

Yet, in 2 off-seasons, they chose to use 2 first round picks on defensive players and signed 5 more UFAs to decent contracts. On offense, aside from getting Allen, they've acquired practically nothing other than Dawkins. Many of their acquisitions (Ducasse, Bodine, Newhouse) have been bargain bin types. 

They have nothing on offense because they chose to build their defense first.  It's why, contrary to a lot of fans' opinions, this will be a 4 year rebuild. 

The cap situation was a lot worse than obviously not the best. It sucked. And yeah, they'd been 7-9 the year before. That's not good. 7-9 or close has been pretty much what the Bills are for a very very long time. It was time for a change.

And yeah, they didn't have to do a complete rebuild. They could have chosen the stupid option and reloaded. Another two to four years of mediocrity and the new GMs would have been faced with the same choice in maybe 2023. You're right they didn't have to rebuild. They did it because it was smarter, not because they had to.

And yeah, jettisoning the salary wasn't necessary either. They could have kicked the can down the road and got further and further into cap trouble, all while not getting together the draft picks to bring in Josh Allen or anyone like him.

As for it taking 4 years, yeah, that's a guess. Might be right. Might not. We'll see. And yeah, a team cleaning it's cap situation will bring in a lot of bargain bin types in FA for the first couple of years.

On offense they brought in the most important piece, Josh Allen. And Robert Foster. And Zay Jones. And Wyatt Teller. And Croom and Ivory and McKenzie and Dawkins. Who are a bunch of young folks, some of whom stand a pretty decent chance of being good. There are still a lot of holes. It's what happens when you rebuild from a mediocre team with little cap room.

Wait, "they have nothing on offense because they chose to build their defense first," you say? Dude, you're blowing my mind. I don't think anyone on these boards knows that. Except, you know ... everybody.

They haven't put many resources into the offense, excepting the very large number of picks and guys that produced Josh Allen. They could have built up both sides equally and had both sides be below average, I guess, but would that have somehow been better? Now they've got cap room and can address things.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Going to be hard for him since 

A. You cant get a running start like he does.

B. The end zone isn't 30 miles long.

I don't watch CFL much, so those 2 things were glaring when I watched the highlights. Hopefully he will still be successful playing NFL style football, which he was in high school, college etc. ( it was lack of maturity that held him back, not inability to play)

I am hoping to hear that he works out with Allen in the off season to develop chemistry prior to the beginning of the season.

https://www.cover1.net/farhan-lalji-of-tsn-discusses-bills-signing-of-wr-duke-williams/

Report from a Vancouver reporter who watched him all year. 8-10 teams wanted him - but he chose Buffalo for the fit. Highlights fit with josh Allen due to catch radius and high pointing the catch.

Coaches from CFL lauded his humility, focus hard work etc.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

That team with a bunch of holes had been 7-9 the previous season when McCoach and later Beane came aboard.  The cap situation obviously wasn't the best, but jettisoning all that salary wasn't required either. They chose to do a complete rebuild.  

Yet, in 2 off-seasons, they chose to use 2 first round picks on defensive players and signed 5 more UFAs to decent contracts. In 2 years on offense, aside from getting Allen, they've acquired practically nothing other than Dawkins. Many of their acquisitions (Tolbert, Ducasse, Bodine, Newhouse, DiMarco, Ivory) have been bargain bin types or don't contribute much. 

You've noted this choice to rebuild several times, along with the notion McBeane knew all along it's a 4-year plan.  What you haven't stated is your opinion on this course of action.  Do you disagree with what they decided to do?  Do you think continuing the pattern of trying to patch holes in a 7-9 team would have been better?  What would you have done?  Even the most hardened of Bills critics must appreciate the fact McBeane have a plan and have stuck to it -- mustn't they?  A team that just finished the season with a top 5 defense, a potential superstar QB, 10 draft picks and 80M of cap space isn't something to be excited about?

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, eball said:

You've noted this choice to rebuild several times, along with the notion McBeane knew all along it's a 4-year plan.  What you haven't stated is your opinion on this course of action.  Do you disagree with what they decided to do?  Do you think continuing the pattern of trying to patch holes in a 7-9 team would have been better?  What would you have done?  Even the most hardened of Bills critics must appreciate the fact McBeane have a plan and have stuck to it -- mustn't they?  A team that just finished the season with a top 5 defense, a potential superstar QB, 10 draft picks and 80M of cap space isn't something to be excited about?

can i answer for scottlaw?  because i'm pretty sure i know his answer.

• Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Logic said:

I was excited that the Bills signed Williams, and I have high hopes that he can find a way to make the roster and contribute. HOWEVER...

We need to temper our expectations a bit. All the jump-ball and high-point ability in the world won't do squat if he can't separate from defenders. For evidence of this phenomenon, go watch some James Hardy or Dez Lewis "highlights".

True, but a guy who doesn't have great separation ability but who can high point the ball incredibly well will beat out the defender most of the time. Especially if he has good, strong hands and a great build like Williams.

I am not saying that I believe Williams will be a failure, but I am definitely taking a wait and see attitude with him. The Rams cut him in the 2016 preseason and he has been described as unable to gain separation. Hopefully he has developed more in the CFL, and I hope he does well for us, but I do not see him as a guy we should change plans for. I will gladly eat crow if he ends up being a good player for us.

What I noticed from the shared Edmonton high-lights:

>  Williams was not the receiver getting the running starts.

>  Williams does a nice job of high-pointing his catches.

>  Many of the balls thrown were off-target and he adjusted very nicely to the ball.  This is a key attribute in my mind.

>  Decent speed, not a burner.

>  Good RAC, not afraid of traffic or contact.
>  Repeating myself - I really liked the way he adjusted to the ball - bad throws, tipped ball, switching from one side (where he expected the ball) to his other side so he could catch it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I swear Robert Foster made all of these things seem possible.

Chances are he's camp fodder. It would be great if he shocked the world, but I'm not holding my breath.

...nice to see you rolled out the TBD pigeon stained "welcome" mat........at least we know why guys arrive here in hip boots, kevlar vest and a hard hat...Jesus......

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...nice to see you rolled out the TBD pigeon stained "welcome" mat........at least we know why guys arrive here in hip boots, kevlar vest and a hard hat...Jesus......

I'm just trying to be honest here. The chances of a guy coming in from the CFL and setting the world on fire is not good. I think some NFL team would have overlooked his transgressions if it weren't for that pedestrian 40 time. I'm just not sure he can get enough separation to be effective.

Then again, I thought the ceiling for Robert Foster was a 5/6th receiver who'd really only make this team because it was so devoid of speed. So ya never know!

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm just trying to be honest here. The chances of a guy coming in from the CFL and setting the world on fire is not good. I think some NFL team would have overlooked his transgressions if it weren't for that pedestrian 40 time. I'm just not sure he can get enough separation to be effective.

Then again, I thought the ceiling for Robert Foster was a 5/6th receiver who'd really only make this team because it was so devoid of speed. So ya never know!

...I'd prefer to look at the positive my friend......think the kid effed up early on and his only option was the CFL.......and reports seem to say he did get "his head screwed on straight" and recommitted to his football career....and the NFL does NOT come calling often with a second opportunity to achieve your life long dream....not quite ready yet to fodder him or doubt his carpe diem moment...that IS ON HIM....stay tuned.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, Lurker said:

I applaud your sunny outlook, but the guy hasn't faced anything close to NFL-level defensive backs.    He's a minor league all-star for sure, but can he hit a MLB fast ball?       

I have my doubts, based on the limited crossover of CFL skill position players to the NFL over the years... 

It has happened, though, and at the toughest position.

warren moon, Doug flutie.  Flutie actually better the second time around in the nfl after cutting his teeth in the cfl.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

7 hours ago, eball said:

1) With the exception of the Peyton Manning Colts all of the long-term, consistent winners in the NFL in the 2000's rose from mediocrity.   Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks........and it applies to the very current teams in LA Rams, KC and New Orleans.    Been decades since tanking paid off in the NFL. 

2) And fwiw.......they have 15 wins in two years under McBeane........so they are still that 7-9 team trying to patch holes..........your suspension of that reality not withstanding.

The key to ending the mediocrity and becoming a contender is the front office figuratively sticking that foot in the ground and making a move that turns into a league changer.

They had that chance when Mahomes fell into their lap............but due to chaos/organizational dysfunction.......they weren't ready for it.......and the better managed Chiefs made that big move at the Bills expense.

The Bills were running neck-and-neck with the Chiefs for many years.....now the Chiefs are the SB favorite going into 2019 and the Bills have the longest odds.

And so........we wait for that big move.........or we wait for a 4-5 year plan to come together?? 

Hopefully things come together sooner than later though.......because the NFL hasn't been a slow build league.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2