D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

I am hopeful for Duke, he looks like he can really help our WR situation.  If he is legit, Foster, Zay, Duke, is workable.  WR would not be the pressing need that is Oline, TE and Edge.  There is much WR value rounds 2-4.  So that behoves us to go BPA at 9, and gives us option to trade down, landing additional picks 2-4 and allowing us to fill starters and depth at those positions 

2 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Could he actually be the answer to TE?  He looks big but not overly fast for a WR but probably fast for TE.   As a TE he could really be a difference maker I would think - especially if he could block.

I am much higher on him than the average poster on TBD but one knock on him in college was his reluctance to block. Maybe he improved in the CFL, but there really are very few running plays in the CFL.

summary: you will not be getting Robert Woods 2.0

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I have REALLY high hopes for Robert Foster.....and I hope we are aggressive on pass catcher's in the draft which might not be great but it is deep

The did find Robert Foster :)

1) he was at Alabama.  Not exactly a JUCO program.

2) they cut him

based on his college production and his preseason performance, they got very lucky with Foster and he will have a lot to prove since he will be more known this year.  But it’s sometimes better to be lucky than good so hopefully he turns into something.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I was excited that the Bills signed Williams, and I have high hopes that he can find a way to make the roster and contribute. HOWEVER...

We need to temper our expectations a bit. All the jump-ball and high-point ability in the world won't do squat if he can't separate from defenders. For evidence of this phenomenon, go watch some James Hardy or Dez Lewis "highlights".

I don't know about that. Not much separation goes on in the Red Zone, not enough room. But jump-ball and high-point ability certainly mean more than squat in that area. Why some guys with those abilities succeed while others don't is a fair question, but I'm not sure James Hardy for instance, would have had a CFL career nearly as successful as Williams.

I don't really expect much from Williams, but it will be great if he can contribute.

• Like (+1) 1

He is by no means better than projected first or early second round WRs in this year's draft. He's not DK, Harry or Butler. He is Juwan Johnson with an edge and probably somewhat better hands, so a third round equivalent prospect. Having successful pro experience, albeit not NFL, is also a plus. Having seen some of his Eskimo games I think he makes the roster, but that's JMO. I think it's also fair to leave open the possibility that he pleasantly surprises. He is talented and nasty (in a good way). Anyway they picked him up for nothing and if he works out kudos to McBean. Absolutely worth a hard look. 

• Like (+1) 1

Camp body at this point,  big, slow, unathletic, poor blocker. Good hands and high points the ball, unfortunately at 6'2" with only a 30" vertical leap his high point is lower than most. I hope he surprises me and exceeds expectations but people thinking the Bills have found their #1 and together with Jones and Foster, Josh Allen now has the weapons he needs is just laughable imo. The Bills still need to bring in a veteran in fa and draft one in the first 3 rnds. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

I was excited that the Bills signed Williams, and I have high hopes that he can find a way to make the roster and contribute. HOWEVER...

We need to temper our expectations a bit. All the jump-ball and high-point ability in the world won't do squat if he can't separate from defenders. For evidence of this phenomenon, go watch some James Hardy or Dez Lewis "highlights".

This guy can play.  He had problems but seems to have turned it around for the last couple of years.  Sometimes it takes a young guy a while to figure it out. Some never do.  He does what the Bills had hoped that Benjamin would do. He runs better than Benjamin (I know that ain't sayin' much).  The ability to separate is necessary either through speed, quickness, or running great patterns.  He should be an excellent complement to Foster, Jones, et al..  

We'll see what he does in camp and preseason.  The Bills have virtually nothing invested and nothing to lose.