D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Frankly, I'll be surprised if he isn't the Bills' best receiver next season

I applaud your sunny outlook, but the guy hasn't faced anything close to NFL-level defensive backs.    He's a minor league all-star for sure, but can he hit a MLB fast ball?       

I have my doubts, based on the limited crossover of CFL skill position players to the NFL over the years... 

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I applaud your sunny outlook, but the guy hasn't faced anything close to NFL-level defensive backs.    He's a minor league all-star for sure, but can he hit a MLB fast ball?       

I have my doubts, based on the limited crossover of CFL skill position players to the NFL over the years... 

Maybe not in the CFL, but plenty of nfl level Def backs come out of the SEC where he played and was considered a top talent.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Maybe not in the CFL, but plenty of nfl level Def backs come out of the SEC where he played and was considered a top talent.

We won't know until we see him, but this guy has always been a big time receiver.   He was highly rated recruit out of high school, he ate up the SEC.   He just screwed up big time, more than once.  My guess is that he can play in the NFL. 

I'm hoping he's Hines Ward II.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Neither have any of the rookies in the draft. At least this guy played in the SEC.

....seems like he atoned for early on mistakes and did re-commit to his CFL career.....and now an opportunity to realize your NFL dream?......carpe diem young man......

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And yet, his college stats were nothing to write home about.   

In 2014, he was second on his team with 730 receiving yards  (# 8 in the SEC) and five TDs.   In 2015, he played only four games, catching 12 passes for 147 yards and a touchdown.   That doesn't sound like a lot of experience against quality DBs, even if they were from the SEC...

His 2014 season was padded by a few cupcakes like Arkansas, Kansas State and Mississippi State, although he did have a good game against Alabama.

2014 Game Logs 

Receiving Tackles
Rk Date School   Opponent   Rec Yds Avg TD Solo Ast Tot Loss Sk
  10 Games         45 730 16.2 5 1 1 2 0.0 0.
1 2014-08-30 Auburn   Arkansas W 9 154 17.1 1 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
2 2014-09-06 Auburn   San Jose State W 4 60 15.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
3 2014-09-18 Auburn @ Kansas State W 8 110 13.8 1 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
4 2014-09-27 Auburn   Louisiana Tech W 2 33 16.5 1 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
5 2014-10-04 Auburn   Louisiana State W 2 28 14.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
6 2014-10-11 Auburn @ Mississippi State L 6 108 18.0 2 1 0 1 0.0 0.0
7 2014-10-25 Auburn   South Carolina W 3 34 11.3 0 0 1 1 0.0 0.0
8 2014-11-01 Auburn @ Mississippi W 3 71 23.7 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
9 2014-11-08 Auburn   Texas A&M L 1 11 11.0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0
10 2014-11-29 Auburn @ Alabama L 7 121 17.3 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're right on the money here.  Williams, Foster and Jones, assuming Williams can play and assuming Foster wasn't a flash in the pan, are enough to give Allen receivers he can make plays with.  

Agreed. I don’t think the Bills are going to spend premium assets on a wr in the draft of free agency. They appear more likely to use the free agent money in offensive linemen and maybe a lower profile wr who will not command big dollars. I like Humphries but he may get too rich for Beane. I think the top draft picks are more likely to be on the offensive line and tight end position if we go offense. 

And if that happens u might get a 3rd or 4th round wr for development and a free agent wr to compete for a top 4 spot, which would leave Williams with a very good shot to claim a starting spot opposite Foster. 

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Drug addictions lead to bad threads and ruined lives. 

says you !

10 minutes ago, hemma said:

Wonder who sold him on the Bills.

If he makes an impact, guy might be in line for Salesman of the Year award.

Josh Allen ?

What stands out about him is his size and build.   He really is well put together.

He also seems to move decent for his size, he's not a lumbering sort of a WR.      Plus he appears to have very strong hands and good body control, which is a good combination to have.

I'm hopeful.

At his pro day, his best time was 4.66, a slight improvement over his combine time.  I found one old article about his transfer to Auburn that claims he had a 4.4 40 to his credit.  There's something going on here.  I just don't know what.  I do think there were extenuating circumstances that negatively impacted his combine workout to a degree.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Agreed. I don’t think the Bills are going to spend premium assets on a wr in the draft of free agency. They appear more likely to use the free agent money in offensive linemen and maybe a lower profile wr who will not command big dollars. I like Humphries but he may get too rich for Beane. I think the top draft picks are more likely to be on the offensive line and tight end position if we go offense. 

And if that happens u might get a 3rd or 4th round wr for development and a free agent wr to compete for a top 4 spot, which would leave Williams with a very good shot to claim a starting spot opposite Foster. 

Bills know they have F'd the WR position up in nearly record fashion. especially Via free agency. 

It is long list.

But Jordan Matthews getting injured nearly right away epitomized how well the bIlls have done specifically with pass catchers.

and Beanes semi desperate attempts do not inspire much faith they can't find talent via trade , or by day 3 of FA.
Gotta prioritize this right along with O line

I think Bills regime would like to gather a couple more Young Ones to grow with Allen.  But they cannot afford to wait.

Hopefully this fellow is a gem that just needs some polish.I am hopeful because he has talent , as mentioned. If it works out ,he make the team and starts ? That will be one hell of a find by Bills FO !

Go Bills

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

What stands out about him is his size and build.   He really is well put together.

He also seems to move decent for his size, he's not a lumbering sort of a WR.      Plus he appears to have very strong hands and good body control, which is a good combination to have.

I'm hopeful.

...and you just laid out all of the reasons for the TBD pundits to label him a "bust" before stepping on their pigeon stained "red carpet".....

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

I'm hopeful.

So NOT another Kelvin Benjamin  ?

Good to hear : )

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and you just laid out all of the reasons for the TBD pundits to label him a "bust" before stepping on their pigeon stained "red carpet".....

So, he's a lock Wall of Famer to the rest of TSW?     Good call...

• Haha (+1) 3