D'haquille aka Duke Williams, Bills' newest WR better than any draft prospect

Just closely watched these highlights. The guy is arguably a more complete receiver than anyone coming out of college this year. He has speed (why did he run only a 4.72 at the combine?), separation, elevation, ability to catch in traffic and is elusive enough to rack up YAC. Almost every throw he catches at its highest point (except for the one where he was unsighted and it hits his helmet - he still comes up with it). Enjoy!! Very Very underrated signing by the Bills - could have a shot at our #1 if he has really matured from his college days.

https://www.cover1.net/farhan-lalji-of-tsn-discusses-bills-signing-of-wr-duke-williams/

Report from a Vancouver reporter who watched him all year. 8-10 teams wanted him - but he chose Buffalo for the fit. Highlights fit with josh Allen due to catch radius and high pointing the catch.

Coaches from CFL lauded his humility, focus hard work etc.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was excited that the Bills signed Williams, and I have high hopes that he can find a way to make the roster and contribute. HOWEVER...

We need to temper our expectations a bit. All the jump-ball and high-point ability in the world won't do squat if he can't separate from defenders. For evidence of this phenomenon, go watch some James Hardy or Dez Lewis "highlights".

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure he will be our number 1 wr but he will likely get a shot to play in the top 3. I have to assume that he looked around at NFL teams and decided to leave the CFL because he was going to get a legitimate chance to start with the Bills. I do like he body control and ability to catch contested passes. He clearly goes after and attacks the football. He might be a replacement for what the Bills thought they were going to get in Benjamin (a guy who is physical and will make contested catches presenting a bigger target in the red zone).

That said, Williams looks like he is a 4.7 speed guy. He is a thick body wr and does not appear to have a ton of speed. But that does not mean he cannot be useful. Dez Bryant could still make plays later in his career even after he had lost some speed and Dez was never known as a speed guy to begin with. I could see Williams taking over as a #2 with Robert Foster being more of the #1 threat. I would not mind this, especially if the Bills signed Humphries to play in the slot.

2 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

All the talent in the world.  Can he keep it together mentally though?  That is his issue.

It sounds like he already has it together.  He turned over a new leaf after Auburn incident, and he's been a model citizen since then.   There's a great interview somewhere with his coach in Canada.   I can't quote it, but he said something like he's the hardest working, toughest, most dedicated player on the team.  Coach raved about him.   All I could think is that this guy is perfect for McDermott.   He and McD will have frank conversations about his past and what he's doing to become the kind of player he wants to be.   McD will be an ideal mentor for him.  

Frankly, I'll be surprised if he isn't the Bills' best receiver next season, and if the Bills also find a starting receiver in the draft or free agency, the receiving corps should be fine.   If, for example, Williams starts with Zay and the Bills find a tight end in the draft, they have a receiving corps that won't be a liability.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I applauded the signing......we just need to keep it going and have him be one of a talented GROUP on the field......

Especially now that I have finally worked things out with Direct TV and have my NFL Sunday Ticket back this next year!

Go Bills

Yup.  If anyone can find us receivers, it’s the guys who put together Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones, Jeremy Kerley, Anquan Boldin, Kelvin Benjamin, etc.

i kid but man have they sucked At receiver evaluations.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

It sounds like he already has it together.  He turned over a new leaf after Auburn incident, and he's been a model citizen since then.   There's a great interview somewhere with his coach in Canada.   I can't quote it, but he said something like he's the hardest working, toughest, most dedicated player on the team.  Coach raved about him.   All I could think is that this guy is perfect for McDermott.   He and McD will have frank conversations about his past and what he's doing to become the kind of player he wants to be.   McD will be an ideal mentor for him.  

Frankly, I'll be surprised if he isn't the Bills' best receiver next season, and if the Bills also find a starting receiver in the draft or free agency, the receiving corps should be fine.   If, for example, Williams starts with Zay and the Bills find a tight end in the draft, they have a receiving corps that won't be a liability.  

Good to hear.  Haven't really paid attention to him since he left Auburn, but I can certainly remember him dominating some of those Auburn games I watched.  He ALWAYS stood out in every game it seemed.

Edited by Mark80

Just now, Shaw66 said:

I have REALLY high hopes for Robert Foster.....and I hope we are aggressive on pass catcher's in the draft which might not be great but it is deep

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  If anyone can find us receivers, it’s the guys who put together Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones, Jeremy Kerley, Anquan Boldin, Kelvin Benjamin, etc.

i kid but man have they sucked At receiver evaluations.

The did find Robert Foster :)

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

I'm not sure he will be our number 1 wr but he will likely get a shot to play in the top 3. I have to assume that he looked around at NFL teams and decided to leave the CFL because he was going to get a legitimate chance to start with the Bills. I do like he body control and ability to catch contested passes. He clearly goes after and attacks the football. He might be a replacement for what the Bills thought they were going to get in Benjamin (a guy who is physical and will make contested catches presenting a bigger target in the red zone).

That said, Williams looks like he is a 4.7 speed guy. He is a thick body wr and does not appear to have a ton of speed. But that does not mean he cannot be useful. Dez Bryant could still make plays later in his career even after he had lost some speed and Dez was never known as a speed guy to begin with. I could see Williams taking over as a #2 with Robert Foster being more of the #1 threat. I would not mind this, especially if the Bills signed Humphries to play in the slot.

I think you're right on the money here.  Williams, Foster and Jones, assuming Williams can play and assuming Foster wasn't a flash in the pan, are enough to give Allen receivers he can make plays with.  

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're right on the money here.  Williams, Foster and Jones, assuming Williams can play and assuming Foster wasn't a flash in the pan, are enough to give Allen receivers he can make plays with.  

Now just imagine adding a straight burner / agility guy like Hollywood Brown in the draft.  That would be a well balanced top 4 going into the season IMO.

Edited by Mark80

If he can fill that big red zone target role that would be big. One that uses his hands well and can win contested battles. Everything I’ve seen of him so far gives me hope.

In the draft we need to get a couple of these position receivers and TE’s. I’m looking at Marquise Brown, AJ Brown, and Andy Isabella closely.

• Like (+1) 1