Sean McVay pre super bowl

CommonCents

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Knowing what Belichick does, why didn't the "genius" (McVay) figure out some way to counter it.  Instead, he let his QB walk into a giant trap.  Wade Phillips at least had a game plan for dealing with Brady on offense.

McVay didnt know. Pats played almost all man this year. In the sb they showed man and switched to zone once the clock got to 15 sec.

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Who said anything about praising player in the middle of the week? Who said anything about McVay being on the hot seat?

McVay has been the NFL’s me poster boy for coaches. His game plan was embarrassing and getting caught on an open mic prior to the game basically showing his hand is a bad look.

I think even he would admit that in hindsight. Certainly a learning experience.

I'm not sure I understand. How is complimenting BB showing his hand and how does this indicate that he had nothing planned to stop him?

remember: HE is the genius and anyone who sat next to him for lunch should be a HC

Meanwhile, there's Doug Pederson, whose offense put up 41 points with a backup QB and actually WON the SB vs Brady and Belichick.

Bill Belichick had ZERO answers for Nick Foles and Doug Pederson's offense.

Yet McVay is the genius. OK 

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

remember: HE is the genius and anyone who sat next to him for lunch should be a HC

Meanwhile, there's Doug Pederson, whose offense put up 41 points with a backup QB and actually WON the SB vs Brady and Belichick.

Bill Belichick had ZERO answers for Nick Foles and Doug Pederson's offense.

Yet McVay is the genius. OK 

My god, you have some terrible takes.  According to this brilliant logic, Brian Billick is a better coach than Marv Levy. 

These guys are fans of each other because they are fans of the game. It's true of all players and coaches, who give each other jerseys and stuff. 

Hell, during the season it was said that Bill texted Sean every week gushing to him over how great and explosive his offense is. 

This is a pile of nothing. There is a lot of mutual respect at that level.

I think McVay just , as the Brits say, bottled it. He had a chance to make a big career defining statement in that game. He was the young apprentice vs the Master. Whatever cliché you can think of. Instead he just completely sh$t the bed. Not prominently featuring Gurley, not sticking with the run, continuously putting Goff  in a position where he could not succeed just illustrate the fact that McVay must have been really, really nervous and just crumbled. The sad part is that McVay  even though he is young is a great coach and had he game planned better and had a plan B I think he could have won this game. 

2 hours ago, Chris66 said:

McVay didnt know. Pats played almost all man this year. In the sb they showed man and switched to zone once the clock got to 15 sec.

He could not have known exactly what Belichick would do, but it's pretty well known that Belichick is all about changing up what he's done in the past to confuse an opponent.  It should have been fairly easy to figure out that the most vulnerable part of his own team was having a fairly young and inexperienced QB.  I know it would have been a challenge, but as soon as McVay noticed Belichick was using a late shift to zone coverage in his secondary, he needed to go to work to figure out how to give Goff his best chance of beating the zone coverage.  I'm sure that was not the first time Goff saw zone coverage all season.  My guess is McVay is going to spend some time in training camp next summer having Goff audible to a play for zone after the defense goes through a shift from man to zone coverage.  It will be part of his growth process as a QB.  It's just too bad Belichick got another Super Bowl title out of it.

5 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

Bill Bellichick is the best coach in NFL history, by a mile. I have absolutely no problem with McVay telling Bellichick how much he admires him, I would do the same in his position. Take your job, and take the highest person possible in that job. Then suppose you are meeting that person. You would also have words of admiration. 

Time and place for that is the idea.  After the game, yes.  Before the game, no.  Shake hands, say good luck, walk away.

23 hours ago, CommonCents said:

getting caught on an open mic prior

to the game basically showing his hand is a bad look.

I didnt hear the audio and your explanation so far hasn't clarified this, so I have to ask, how is McVay expressing admiration "showing his hand"?  Did McVay show Belichick his play call sheet? I'm pretty sure opposing coaches do this kind of pregame glad-handing all the time.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, CommonCents said:

Who said anything about praising player in the middle of the week? Who said anything about McVay being on the hot seat?

McVay has been the NFL’s me poster boy for coaches. His game plan was embarrassing and getting caught on an open mic prior

to the game basically showing his hand is a bad look.

I think even he would admit that in hindsight. Certainly a learning experience.

those regular season stats mean nothing in playoff crunch time?

REALLY????

On 2/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Belichick used to talk about how awesome Josh Reed and Chris Kelsey were when we played them. A 33 year old coach in his second year lost the SB to arguably the greatest destiny in sports history.  McVay definitely should be on the hot seat.

Are you Alex Jones? 

Really. I can't believe a young coach would throw some meaningless compliments at Bill Belichick pre-game. Shocking! If he were really some WizKid, he would have got right up in his mug and told him that he was a moron.

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Really. I can't believe a young coach would throw some meaningless compliments at Bill Belichick pre-game. Shocking! If he were really some WizKid, he would have got right up in his mug and told him that he was a moron.

Take all the shots you want, you’re missing the hoop anyways. The point was and is that you don’t tell someone how “unbelievable” their methods are when that guy you’re telling is the one you are game planning against!

It’s unbelievable that you change your offense, because I can’t! Atleast let me kiss the rings while I’m here. You’re so great. Xoxo

Ted Johnson who knows the Patriots as well

as anyone was the one who raised this point. Get your game face on and go act like you can win the game was his message. I agree. 

3 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Take all the shots you want, you’re missing the hoop anyways. The point was and is that you don’t tell someone how “unbelievable” their methods are when that guy you’re telling is the one you are game planning against!

It’s unbelievable that you change your offense, because I can’t! Atleast let me kiss the rings while I’m here. You’re so great. Xoxo

Ted Johnson who knows the Patriots as well

as anyone was the one who raised this point. Get your game face on and go act like you can win the game was his message. I agree. 

It really just sounds like the typical pre-game BS.

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It really just sounds like the typical pre-game BS.

If he didn’t say anything about the way he changes from week to week I wouldn’t have had a problem with the smooching. The Rams had two weeks to prepare I was expecting more from McVay and that offense. 

Longest halftime ever, still no real attempts at changing the flow of the game. There are multiple articles written on this and even Romo hinted around it. 

Yes, the Patriots are great, yes they are better at details than anyone else. Wouldn’t it be worth trying a few plays that you may not execute well but atleast NE won’t have the benefit of knowing what’s coming?

The Eagles understood this and took it to the limit by even investing time in creating a fake walk through. The Rams went out there and depended on their players being able to compensate for their coaching. That is disappointing. It’s Sean McVay not Mike Mularky out there. 

Edited by CommonCents

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

My god, you have some terrible takes.  According to this brilliant logic, Brian Billick is a better coach than Marv Levy. 

Brian Billick won a Super Bowl.

On 2/6/2019 at 11:20 AM, CommonCents said:

No. This thread is further proof that other coaches don’t even give it a fair shot when playing the Patriots. I’m trying to get a good link for the audio. 

30 minutes prior to the start of the SB, McVay is out there telling the other coach how “unbelievable” he is for changing his identity. BB must have ***** himself, right there he  had to have known McVay had nothing for him. Then McVay continued his praises calling him the best ever etc.

I do believe that playing the Patriots carries a certain aura espicilly in the post season. You see players that are solid have legitimate mental breakdowns...Dee Ford being a latest example.