TE Thoughts

RPbillsfan

5 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I was reviewing the Sportac website and looking at the teams number of players signed, available cap space and players who are possible releases do to cap issues.

NE has 16 million in cap space, and needs to resign Flowers and get themselves a WR and TE.

They can save 10 million by cutting Gronk (he's probably going to retire) and Dwayne Allen (7.2 Million cap savings),m.

I think they cut Allen regardless, sign a TE like Jessie James of Pittsburgh or one of the Bengal TE's and draft someone like Hockenson, Fant or Irv Smith.

The Vikings have only $5,000,000 in cap space and can save 7.2 million by cutting Kyle Rudolph.

Here is my thought, if released sign both Rudolph (high priority), and Allen (reasonable contract), and cut Clay (save 4.5 million), sign James of Miami at RT,  Think Carolina has enough cap space to resign Darryl Williams.  KC dosent have cap space to retain Mitch Morse so let's sign him to play C.  Hope to trade down with Washington to get 15 and 46.

My Bills picks:

15 DJ Metcalf - WR

40 Chris Lindstrom - G

46 Jerry Tillery - DT

Your thoughts

Nice picks and would love those TEs but i think Hockenson will go around 15.

5 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I'd rather go 

#15 TJ Hockenson TE

#40 N'Keal Harry Wr

#46 Chris Lindstrom G

#75 Andy Isabella  Wr

like those too wasnt to impressed N'Keal , might go OL there like Risener or McGary

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Jerry Tillery looks like the antithesis of a process guy.  I don't think Beane will touch him with a 10 foot pole..  OP's free agent signings would be OK.  I think the best case scenario for the Bills in the first round is a trade down.  If they've gotten their OT in free agency, Metcalf would be OK a little lower in the first round, or Risner, or a DT like Wilkins.  If they don't get their tackle in free agency, Taylor would be a good get.

Didn't know Tillery had this rep.

The DT i want is.

1. DT Dexter Lawrence

2. RT Kaleb McGary

3. WR Lil Humphrey

4. WR Andy Isabella

4. OC Garrett Bradbury

5 hours ago, Logic said:

It's not often that a team's needs align so perfectly with the strength of a coming draft.

The Bills desperately need offensive linemen and tight ends, and this draft is rich in both.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see the Bills draft TWO tight ends this year.

It can be reasonably argued that it's a bigger need than WR. At WR, we at least have Foster and Jones and, to a lesser extent, McKenzie. At tight end we have oft-injured Clay (who may be cut) and then a bunch of JAGs. On top of that, a quality TE is a young QB's best friend.

I'll take Hockenson and Fant or Irv Smith . Especially if we can get another 2nd in a trade bk.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We need beef at DT so we aren't getting run over . Not many Aaron Donalds around , we can get pressure up the middle with stunts and Blitzes.

Didn't we spend 11 mil on Star to add the beef. I do agree with more stunts and blitzes. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Nice picks and would love those TEs but i think Hockenson will go around 15.

like those too wasnt to impressed N'Keal , might go OL there like Risener or McGary

Yeah if Risner is there I would love that.

Edited by BillsFan1988

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

I don't believe Harry will be available anywhere near 40.

I think there's a lot of big bodied high pt type wrs in this draft . There's definitely alot of depth at the position but it's lacking top flight talent. For this reason I believe there won't be more then 2 Wrs in the first rd . The WRs will go in the 2nd and early 3rd rds. It's natural for this group to be pushed back in the draft due to the depth teams will feel like there's more value in the 2nd rd.

Until we see what happens in free agency, it’s impossible to predict the draft for any team.  That’s why i’ll wait until we’re close to the draft and all the first and second tier URFA are gone we’ll have a better prediction on potential daft picks.  What I can state is my hope we pick up an excellent C, G, and either two WR or a TE and a WR.

I pray we take a Tackle with our top pick whether it’s 9, 15, or 20.

Have a good day guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Didn't know Tillery had this rep.

The DT i want is.

1. DT Dexter Lawrence

2. RT Kaleb McGary

3. WR Lil Humphrey

4. WR Andy Isabella

4. OC Garrett Bradbury

Tillery reportedly was locker room poison, to the point of trying to get his college coach, Brian Kelly fired.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Do the Bills desperately need offensive linemen and Tight Ends? Oh, nevermind..

Is this Draft rich in both? Oh, nevermind..

How often does a teams’ needs align so perfectly with the strength of a upcoming draft? Oh, nevermind..

Yeah, not sure what happened there. That was weird. Fixed it, though, so thanks!

10 hours ago, Logic said:

It's not often that a team's needs align so perfectly with the strength of a coming draft.

The Bills desperately need offensive linemen and tight ends, and this draft is rich in both.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see the Bills draft TWO tight ends this year.

It can be reasonably argued that it's a bigger need than WR. At WR, we at least have Foster and Jones and, to a lesser extent, McKenzie. At tight end we have oft-injured Clay (who may be cut) and then a bunch of JAGs. On top of that, a quality TE is a young QB's best friend.

I'm banging the drum to draft two TEs too.  It makes so much sense.  It opens up the playbook with two athletic tight ends. I like Irv Smith Jr and Alize Mack

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I was reviewing the Sportac website and looking at the teams number of players signed, available cap space and players who are possible releases do to cap issues.

NE has 16 million in cap space, and needs to resign Flowers and get themselves a WR and TE.

They can save 10 million by cutting Gronk (he's probably going to retire) and Dwayne Allen (7.2 Million cap savings),m.

I think they cut Allen regardless, sign a TE like Jessie James of Pittsburgh or one of the Bengal TE's and draft someone like Hockenson, Fant or Irv Smith.

The Vikings have only $5,000,000 in cap space and can save 7.2 million by cutting Kyle Rudolph.

Here is my thought, if released sign both Rudolph (high priority), and Allen (reasonable contract), and cut Clay (save 4.5 million), sign James of Miami at RT,  Think Carolina has enough cap space to resign Darryl Williams.  KC dosent have cap space to retain Mitch Morse so let's sign him to play C.  Hope to trade down with Washington to get 15 and 46.

My Bills picks:

15 DJ Metcalf - WR

40 Chris Lindstrom - G

46 Jerry Tillery - DT

Your thoughts

I don’t believe Metcalf will be there @15 

and if he’s ranked as # 1 WR on our board then we should take him @ 9 

Edited by Putin

15 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

Here is my thought, if released sign both Rudolph (high priority), and Allen (reasonable contract), and cut Clay (save 4.5 million).

Your thoughts

Here's my thought:   You can talk about this kind of free agent activity all you want.   I don't expect to see anything like it.  This is what I expect:

1.  The only reason the Bills will sign anyone older than a guy coming off his rookie contract is because they want veteran leadership at the position.  In other words, the only reason they would sign Kyle Rudolph would be if they thought he was a top-notch character guy who is 100% believer in "the process" and is willing to play out the rest of his career building a winner in Buffalo, even if the team doesn't win until after he retires.  If Rudolph is that kind of guy, Beane will go after him.   If he's just a really talented tight end, which is what I think he is, Beane won't bother with him.  I'd love to see him with the Bills, but I doubt it's happening. 

2.  The players the Bills will go after are high character guys coming off their rookie contracts.  They don't want older guys, because they're trying to build a particular kind of culture, and the Bills don't want to try to teach the culture to old guys.  By the time the old guys get it, they retire.  

3.  Believe it when Beane says they high character guys who are great competitors.   That's what they want.   That's what the Patriots win with, and the Bills are trying to do the same thing.  They look all over for those guys, and they find some of them in the later rounds, some in undrafted free agents, and some off the practice squads of other teams.   As someone said in another thread, they're looking for Milanos.  

So I'm guessing that anyone who hopes the Bills sign this or that big-name free agent is going to be disappointed.   What we're all going to be saying as they sign free agents is the Bills signed "WHO?"   And in November, when WHO is making plays on the field, we're all going to be saying "where did WHO come from?" 

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Here's my thought:   You can talk about this kind of free agent activity all you want.   I don't expect to see anything like it.  This is what I expect:

1.  The only reason the Bills will sign anyone older than a guy coming off his rookie contract is because they want veteran leadership at the position.  In other words, the only reason they would sign Kyle Rudolph would be if they thought he was a top-notch character guy who is 100% believer in "the process" and is willing to play out the rest of his career building a winner in Buffalo, even if the team doesn't win until after he retires.  If Rudolph is that kind of guy, Beane will go after him.   If he's just a really talented tight end, which is what I think he is, Beane won't bother with him.  I'd love to see him with the Bills, but I doubt it's happening. 

2.  The players the Bills will go after are high character guys coming off their rookie contracts.  They don't want older guys, because they're trying to build a particular kind of culture, and the Bills don't want to try to teach the culture to old guys.  By the time the old guys get it, they retire.  

3.  Believe it when Beane says they high character guys who are great competitors.   That's what they want.   That's what the Patriots win with, and the Bills are trying to do the same thing.  They look all over for those guys, and they find some of them in the later rounds, some in undrafted free agents, and some off the practice squads of other teams.   As someone said in another thread, they're looking for Milanos.  

So I'm guessing that anyone who hopes the Bills sign this or that big-name free agent is going to be disappointed.   What we're all going to be saying as they sign free agents is the Bills signed "WHO?"   And in November, when WHO is making plays on the field, we're all going to be saying "where did WHO come from?" 

Well said and I agree with pretty much everything , but I would respond with this> 

this is going to be the 3rd season , people don’t want to keep hearing about proses much longer they want to see , results ,  W’s , playoffs . Also Allen’s development is the #1 priority ( IMO ) they’re jobs depend on it , he needs to be protected ( OL )  he needs weapons ( WR / TE )  this will have to be addressed with quality ( free agents=$$ ) and high draft picks , unless you think we can fix this with looking at practice squads and undrafted free agents hoping to find Milano’s ? 

All  I’m saying is that we need players who will come in and start , I don’t want to see a bunch of free agents who will come in and have to compete for the STARING job especially if we’re talking about OL/WR 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Physically he is that guy.  As a WR, he’s not nearly as polished as those guys were coming out.  Not even close.  I get the comparison but I think it’s woshful thinking. Misses the season due to a neck injury.  I don’t think he should be our 1st pick.  Love the takent though.  Has some serious bust potential.  

My questions on Metcalf are if he has the hands to catch Josh's fastball (Harry is said to have the better hands) and is he quick at all?  On tape it all looks like TE like build up speed.  He is fast, I will acknowledge that, maybe faster than Harry in a 40.  Metcalf's strides seem long as compared to Harry who looks quicker laterally and I see as a Tim Brown type.

Edited by buffalostu2

1 hour ago, Putin said:

Well said and I agree with pretty much everything , but I would respond with this> 

this is going to be the 3rd season , people don’t want to keep hearing about proses much longer they want to see , results ,  W’s , playoffs . Also Allen’s development is the #1 priority ( IMO ) they’re jobs depend on it , he needs to be protected ( OL )  he needs weapons ( WR / TE )  this will have to be addressed with quality ( free agents=$$ ) and high draft picks , unless you think we can fix this with looking at practice squads and undrafted free agents hoping to find Milano’s ? 

All  I’m saying is that we need players who will come in and start , I don’t want to see a bunch of free agents who will come in and have to compete for the STARING job especially if we’re talking about OL/WR 

Thanks Vladi -

Good thoughts.   Here's what I think:

McBeane are on the hot seat this season.  They sold the Pegulas on the process, and 2019 is when the process has to show some results.   Don't have to win the Super Bowl, but there has to be serious improvement in the team.   In terms of record, 8-8 may be enough to show progress (if there are some extenuating circumstances, like injuries to key players).   I think progress translates to 9-7, minimum.  At the end of the season, McBeane will have a sit down with the owners and make their case for the progress they've made, and it's going to require some fast talking if they're 7-9 or worse.  

Why this season?  Because they've cleaned out just about all the dead wood, and they've brought in players they want.  They have their QB and their MLB, and 2019 is when those guys should improve and show they're for real.  2018 got them acquainted to the league; now they have to show they can be players in it.   McBeane have a decent number of draft picks and all that cap room.   So going into the 2019 season they should have a roster full of their kind of players, and a lot of them have now spent two years in the process.  2019 is the time to begin to deliver.   

Having said that, they won't get all the players they want this season.  They'll be upgrading the roster for another couple of seasons, at least.   

In terms of what they need, minimum, for 2019.   Two offensive linemen, minimum, one of whom pretty much has to be a free agent veteran.  They need an anchor, and they don't have him.  The other is either a free agent of a high pick who can be expected to start day one.   I think they need only two because (1) they want some continuity and (2) if they upgrade two positions, people around them will play better.   They need a pass receiving threat somewhere.   Logic's theory makes sense to me - draft a couple of good tight ends, and you can make do the receivers you have on board.   I'd be surprised if the Bills go three rounds into the draft without taking either a wideout or a TE.  

Actually, that's all I think the Bills ABSOLUTELY need.   Of course, upgrades all around the roster would be great.  They need a running back, they need a linebacker, they always need defensive linemen.  They need DBs.   But if they add a serious receiving threat and two starting offensive linemen, with some other new starters sprinkled in, they should have enough talent for McDermott to show he can win in the league.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks Vladi -

Good thoughts.   Here's what I think:

McBeane are on the hot seat this season.  They sold the Pegulas on the process, and 2019 is when the process has to show some results.   Don't have to win the Super Bowl, but there has to be serious improvement in the team.   In terms of record, 8-8 may be enough to show progress (if there are some extenuating circumstances, like injuries to key players).   I think progress translates to 9-7, minimum.  At the end of the season, McBeane will have a sit down with the owners and make their case for the progress they've made, and it's going to require some fast talking if they're 7-9 or worse.  

Why this season?  Because they've cleaned out just about all the dead wood, and they've brought in players they want.  They have their QB and their MLB, and 2019 is when those guys should improve and show they're for real.  2018 got them acquainted to the league; now they have to show they can be players in it.   McBeane have a decent number of draft picks and all that cap room.   So going into the 2019 season they should have a roster full of their kind of players, and a lot of them have now spent two years in the process.  2019 is the time to begin to deliver.   

Having said that, they won't get all the players they want this season.  They'll be upgrading the roster for another couple of seasons, at least.   

In terms of what they need, minimum, for 2019.   Two offensive linemen, minimum, one of whom pretty much has to be a free agent veteran.  They need an anchor, and they don't have him.  The other is either a free agent of a high pick who can be expected to start day one.   I think they need only two because (1) they want some continuity and (2) if they upgrade two positions, people around them will play better.   They need a pass receiving threat somewhere.   Logic's theory makes sense to me - draft a couple of good tight ends, and you can make do the receivers you have on board.   I'd be surprised if the Bills go three rounds into the draft without taking either a wideout or a TE.  

Actually, that's all I think the Bills ABSOLUTELY need.   Of course, upgrades all around the roster would be great.  They need a running back, they need a linebacker, they always need defensive linemen.  They need DBs.   But if they add a serious receiving threat and two starting offensive linemen, with some other new starters sprinkled in, they should have enough talent for McDermott to show he can win in the league.  

Protecting Allen properly and giving him a quality security blanket at the TE position is key IMO.

Watching the Superbowl I kept thinking to myself this is the kind of D McD can bring, and this is the kind of football game Josh Allen is going to find a way to win.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Protecting Allen properly and giving him a quality security blanket at the TE position is key IMO.

Watching the Superbowl I kept thinking to myself this is the kind of D McD can bring, and this is the kind of football game Josh Allen is going to find a way to win.

Figgy -

Very interesting you should say that about the Super Bowl.  I think it's the kind of D McD fully intends to bring.   My view of the Pats defense, every season and especially in the Super Bowl this year, is that they are always in position, they always are very physical, and they always tackle soundly.   My view of the Bills defense now is they are almost always in position (they know what they're supposed to do and they do it), and McDermott has said more than once that they intend to be known around the league as as physical as any team.   He's also said he expects better tackling.   So, yeah, I think we're looking at an elite defense, year after year, in the making. Imagine a defense as fundamentally sound as the Pats with Edmunds roaming the middle of the field!

I agree about Allen, too, except it's going to take him a few years to get there.   We could see the inexperience hurting Goff, and it will hurt Allen over the next few years, too.   He's going to see things where he just doesn't know what to do.  Only experience can solve that problem.   On the other hand, I think he's already ahead of Goff in a different sense.  Watching Gilmore's INT in the fourth quarter, I thought immediately  that Allen throws a touchdown or an incompletion on that play, because Allen has the arm to deliver that ball where it needed to be.   We've already seen it.   Not to mention the TD Goff missed because he was so late delivering the ball to the end zone.   I think Allen is already better than that - Allen could have been just as late throwing, but because of his arm strength the ball would have arrived before the defender.    Good enough to beat Belichick and Brady in the playoffs next season?  Almost certainly not, but time will tell.     

I think if things go well, we're looking ahead to a solid to spectacular defense every season and outstanding quarterbacking.   The Bills should be a real handful.  

• Like (+1) 1